What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drew Hutchison

Tuddy

Juniors
I've been confused about this for a while, I remember seeing this guy late last year against the Tigers at Homebush, didn't think he played that bad for a young bloke, certainly not as bad as I've seen some play in his position/s this year.

He's played in the Junior Kangaroos and he's played in the Blues Under 20's side, yet he can't get a run ahead of McCrone? I've seen a lot of you guys write him off on here as well, I just don't get it.

He's only played a few games in first grade and he certainly wasn't given a licence to show off his skills, so why isn't he being given a chance? I mean he's already here and we've seen a lot of juniors come to the fore recently. Why not him as well? He's got to be a better long term option than Widdop, Marshall or McCrone, surely?

Or is this just another example of McGregor being McGregor?

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
I've not seen him play in the lower grades recently. The first grade games I watched he looked very uncertain. He clearly needed more time to gain confidence, and McGregor wasn't prepared to give him that. I have no idea whether he's worth another go, but he needs to be given more than one game. The trouble is the team is playing so poorly at the moment, if you do play him, you're setting him up for failure.

Tuddy

Juniors
I've not seen him play in the lower grades recently. The first grade games I watched he looked very uncertain. He clearly needed more time to gain confidence, and McGregor wasn't prepared to give him that. I have no idea whether he's worth another go, but he needs to be given more than one game. The trouble is the team is playing so poorly at the moment, if you do play him, you're setting him up for failure.

All I know is the team he is in is killing it and he must be a big part of that given the position he plays in. I do see your point about setting him up for failure though, however maybe Mann and Hosts success in recent games could be the catalyst for him to be given a shot as well? Certainly if we don't give him an extended run at some point we'll lose him, I'd hate to see him become another Bird that has flown the coop.

I saw someone say in another thread they thought he was too slow, I'm not sure that's an issue if he plays at six or seven. I agree we need speed but I don't think it's his job to provide it. That's why we brought Lafai over.

GKJ79

Juniors
Whilst ever Mcgregor is the coach, Hutchison knows that the cutters is where he stays, no other coach in the nrl would play mcrone over Hutchinson, if Hutchison asked for a release tomorrow, Mcgregor would wish him the best, and say, see you later, lets hope its Mcgregor that goes, and whoever comes in gives him a decent crack, just £uck off already would you mary.

OzDragon

Coach
Or is this just another example of McGregor being McGregor?

Well, this is the same coach that put him in first grade against the Broncs but sat him on the bench for the first 60 minutes while JDB (!!!) played at halfback.

I would like him in first grade on a regular basis before he gets poached by another club and gets given a proper run.

Tuddy

Juniors
I rate Top Knot very highly, but a half back he is not. That is truly one of the strangest things I have ever seen a coach do, particularly given we had a young gun like that on the side lines just flat out being wasted. In retrospect the writing was well and truly on the wall back then.

St Tangles

Bench
I thought after last year when he got a few games he would of had more of a run this year.
He had a bit of a slow start to the season but has been playing well for the last month or so.
Should be given a shot before the end of season.

Daniel Bartolo

Juniors
He played for albion park fullback in under 18 won grand final backed up and played full game in first grade as Centre won grand final.The kids got talent He is worth the risk deserves a chance Definitely in front of Mcrone.

TheRev

First Grade
Lets be honest, fans here have torn Hutch to shreds after some average first performances, there is very little patience displayed for kids (despite the calls to play them more often), look at Mann as another example of the 'never to play 1st grade again' basket after the season start.

Im not a crazy big fan of Hutch, but if were going to persist with him over Wallace or anybody else we could recruit for the sought after position of Cutters 6 or 7.. I dont see why he cant play 1st grade games when Benji is injured, he has served a fair while now in NSW Cup, he either needs to be blooded or moved on, but we seem to be doing neither.

Whether we have him playing in the wrong position.. thats another story.. I dont know him well enough, hes a big boy, I dont know if you would compare him to Sutton or Cartwright, but they are examples of bigger ball-players & you dont know exactly where their best position is..

dragonssamy61

First Grade
He played for albion park fullback in under 18 won grand final backed up and played full game in first grade as Centre won grand final.The kids got talent He is worth the risk deserves a chance Definitely in front of Mcrone.
Hi dan was he mainly a fullback or half back when he was younger. I agree he sould have a run long before mccrone. Mccrone is not the future mybe hutch isn't either but give him a go. What is there to lose

Last edited:

Dragonscales

Juniors
McGregor is an absolute insufferable idiot.

He has the best under 20s half in the game (bar Ash Taylor), the captain of NSW under 20s, Yet, he buys McCrone just because he's an Illawarra junior, despite McCrone being so shit he couldn't get a run over Sam Williams at Canberra.

He gives McCrone a run to prove to people his "depth" signing were warranted.

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
He is just playing the safe option, McCrone over hutch, in the hope he wins 50% of the regular season games to warrant a contract extension.
It smells of Steve Price with Nathan Fein at half all season long.
That's what you get when you sign a rookie coach, more worried about their career than for the greater good of the team.

Hail Mary

Juniors
The sooner we upgrade McCrone and extend Benji and rein's contract, the sooner we can get on winning. They are playing without any certainty atm. Thats a top spine to lock down and even possibly getting Ray Thompson

dragonssamy61

First Grade
The sooner we upgrade McCrone and extend Benji and rein's contract, the sooner we can get on winning. They are playing without any certainty atm. Thats a top spine to lock down and even possibly getting Ray Thompson
Have you being drinking again mary you are full of bs

Latest posts