What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons season at a crossroads

GKJ79

Juniors
St George Illawarra lock Jack de Belin believes his club's season is on the line against the Wests Tigers on Sunday afternoon.

While the Tigers have had issues of their own in recent days with Robbie Farah dropped from the first-grade side, de Belin believes the Dragons' season has reached a crossroads.

As the Dragons look to keep the top eight in sight – being one of four teams log-jammed on 20 competition points – de Belin said the team had to find some consistency fast.

"Week-to-week, we're varying so much. We need to find ourselves and start chalking up wins with whatever means possible," de Belin told NRL.com.

"We're at a crossroad with our season now and it can only go one way so we need to start getting our season back on track.

"Considering where we are sitting, to be honest, we haven't been playing that good a brand of football. The team we are fielding every week, I feel like we have so much potential but we just haven't been playing for that.

"Everyone is accountable for that so we're at a point now where we're in a bit of a funk. The season could go either way so if we stick tight we'll be sweet as we look towards playing to our potential."

While the Dragons have had their well-documented struggles of late, winger Kurt Mann has been a shining light for the club recently.

Mann has turned his season around over the past fortnight following an ordinary start to the year, with a particularly poor performance at fullback in the Dragons' Dragons' 30-2 loss to the Sharks in the Round 2.

Subsequent knee and ankle injuries over the next two months left Mann to languish in the Intrust Super Premiership until his recall to the NRL side throughout the State of Origin period.

"Round 2 was a time where I was trying to build a few combinations and build some confidence in the boys that I could do a job back there but it was easily one of the worst games I've played in my life," Mann told NRL.com.

"Everyone at the Dragons have been really good to me. They helped me get back on the horse and were always checking to see how I was."

Mann echoed de Belin's sentiment that the Dragons had to start winning the crucial games against fellow top-eight contenders.

"The last two weeks were big games for us, especially against teams like the Titans – who are floating in and out of the top eight like us – and the Sea Eagles, who can make a run for the finals as well," Mann said.

"Those games there that we lost were crucial so we'll need to reform really quickly."

What the hell is a funk???

St Georgio

Juniors
IF only they had a positive differential, some great attacking flair and an Xtra 2 points, I would believe JDB, but we all know the players know mad monday is coming up fast, I am just waiting to hear the news of McGregor deciding to step after the end of a dismal 2016 season.
BTW I think Funk means something naughty.

Dragon Revival

Juniors
If you do not select good players with sound defence, good handling skills and great attacking ability you will continue to struggle and lose. This does not get through to our coaching staff who surely must see how much better our NSW Cup side and Under 20's are in all these aspects and whom I would
much prefer to watch. Maybe our firsts should train with our lower grade sides to learn the basic skills.

thebigredv

First Grade
Season is over. The players have proved that. By far the worst club going around now. Our dignity is what needs to be saved.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
The team is playing like they know they're going nowhere with the halves we've got, so why bust a gut. Except for Widdop who hasn't figured out yet that he is actually the problem.

Funk is that African American music isn't it?

Old Timer

Coach
"We're at a crossroad with our season now and it can only go one way so we need to start getting our season back on track.

Best somebody tell them that at a crossroad there is more than one way it can go.

No wonder our attack is the legion of the lost and the defence has holes in it.

denis preston

First Grade
Mary lost the dressing rooms a few games ago but some of the players themselves haven't realized it ! What i mean is they think they are putting in 100% but subconsciously they are offering 95% and that makes a hugh difference at this level.

I'd say the club still plans to let Mary continue next year and is just looking for an excuse but it will need a couple of more wins to compliment the injuries etc mantra they will offer.Unfortunately the only way change is going to happen is pressure on the management and they will change the coach if they feel their jobs are under scrutiny.The Eels haven't done us any favors as their debacles takes the media microscope off us.

Old Timer

Coach
Mary lost the dressing rooms a few games ago but some of the players themselves haven't realized it ! What i mean is they think they are putting in 100% but subconsciously they are offering 95% and that makes a hugh difference at this level.

I'd say the club still plans to let Mary continue next year and is just looking for an excuse but it will need a couple of more wins to compliment the injuries etc mantra they will offer.Unfortunately the only way change is going to happen is pressure on the management and they will change the coach if they feel their jobs are under scrutiny.The Eels haven't done us any favors as their debacles takes the media microscope off us.
I agree DP but the underlying issue is how do you get pressure on the board?

They have constructed a near invincible voting structure to ensure their longevity in their positions.

To make it worse they have a pre ordained list of people to ultimately succeed them.

You are spot on re Parramatta deflecting the scrutiny from us.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
If you do not select good players with sound defence, good handling skills and great attacking ability you will continue to struggle and lose. This does not get through to our coaching staff who surely must see how much better our NSW Cup side and Under 20's are in all these aspects and whom I would
much prefer to watch. Maybe our firsts should train with our lower grade sides to learn the basic skills.
This could also have a lot to do with the coaches helping there players become better players. By speading time devloping ball skill attacking skills as well as defence. I have been to quite a few training session and all the first do is fitness and tackling skills and a few very basic plays .

Last edited:

gorilla

First Grade
Geez,
this funk is defined as a depressed state.

Funk was (in 20th century) firstly a smell - 'there is a funky smell in here'. Then it was co-opted by the Afro-American culture (and I think it may have it's roots in the idea of 'negro-smell' [pertaining to white-cracker slang]), where it began as a description of fashionable and cool culture. Funk music grew from that basis.

Alan Funk, tho', was the front man and producer of 'Candid Camera'.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
You're right. Dory Funk. Did he do the sleeper hold? Maybe that's what JDB is referring to.

Dory Funk Jnr...now theres a name from the past.....I think the sleeper hold was a gimmick from one Mark Leuwan ( not sure if spelling is correct) like Killer Kowolski they were all actors...bit like our team at the moment with their attempt to pretend their footballers....

Gareth67

First Grade
Dory Funk Jnr...now theres a name from the past.....I think the sleeper hold was a gimmick from one Mark Leuwan ( not sure if spelling is correct) like Killer Kowolski they were all actors...bit like our team at the moment with their attempt to pretend their footballers....
Perhaps they could all use a ' mule kick ' up the orse , courtesy of Tex MacKensie !

Dragsters

First Grade
image.jpeg

Brute Bernard was my favourite as a kid.

Mongrel personified (at least as far as wrestling/actors go)

Gareth67

First Grade
View attachment 8739

Brute Bernard was my favourite as a kid.

Mongrel personified (at least as far as wrestling/actors go)
Yes good old Brute Bernard The way he use to ' shuffle ' around the ring , making those weird animal noises. I remember on 1 occasion when they got him to play the role of a decent man or Brute and he came to the aid of Spirios Arion ( the Golden Greek ) who was being pummelled by a couple of other wrestlers.
Well everything was going along just fine , that was until Spiros came over to shake his hand for helping him .
Poor old Brute ( who I am sure didn't know if he was Arthur or Martha at times ) turned on Spiros , flattening him to the canvas and when the referee came to intervene ( and those poor blokes use to get more punishment than the wrestlers themselves ) flatten him also !
Great entertainment , I hope that the Dragons can provide similar for us today !