What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Robbie Farah gone?

Ron's_Mate

Bench
NRL: St George Illawarra Dragons eye unwanted Wests Tigers hooker Robbie Farah
Adrian Proszenko
Published: July 21, 2016 - 6:26PM

St George Illawarra have re-emerged as a potential destination for Robbie Farah in a development that could save the NSW hooker's NRL career.

The Dragons will take on Wests Tigers at ANZ Stadium on Sunday, but Farah won't get a chance to impress against the club pursuing him. Instead he will run out for the Tigers' reserve grade side against Newtown at Leichhardt Oval on Saturday, less than two weeks after leading the Blues to victory in third State of Origin fixture.

The Dragons made enquiries about Farah last August when Tigers coach Jason Taylor first threatened the veteran hooker with the prospect of finishing his career in the Intrust Super Premiership. Now that Taylor has followed through and axed his marquee man, the Dragons' interest has been rekindled.

Dragons hooker Mitch Rein is off contract at the end of the season and his management have been in negotiations for months about an extension. The sticking point remains Rein's asking price and the parties are yet to come to terms. If the impasse can't be resolved, the Dragons will look to make a play for Farah in a move that could result in the 32-year-old swapping one joint-venture outfit for another.

The Red V has made Parramatta playmaker Corey Norman their priority, tabling a lucrative three-year offer in the hope of making him the long-term halves partner of Gareth Widdop. But they are also seeking to secure a quality dummy half capable of providing them with good service and there are few options on the open market. The situation could result in the clubs discussing a player swap of Rein for Farah.

Farah has one year to go on a deal worth the best part of a $1 million. It's understood the Tigers are prepared to pay at least half that amount in order to get him off the books. Farah is entitled to dig in and see out the final year of his contract but he will likely be languishing in reggies if he chooses to do so.

While the Tigers have been diplomatic in their public statements – they insist Farah will be afforded a chance to get back into first grade – it's clear they want him gone as soon as possible. Officials had tried to trade him to Leeds as part of a player swap for Zak Hardaker, but Farah had no interest in joining an English club facing the prospect of relegation from the Super League. Hardaker instead did a deal that involved a swap for another unwanted hooker, former Panther James Segeyaro.

Farah had hoped to celebrate his 250th NRL game at Leichhardt Oval against the Cowboys in round 22, but it's now unlikely the milestone will be celebrated at the Tigers.

Taylor outlined his reasons for sacking Farah on Thursday, explaining his presence detracted from the cohesion of a spine containing playmakers Mitchell Moses, Luke Brooks and James Tedesco.

"We've got too many cooks spoiling the broth," Taylor said. "It's purely based on that. Robbie Farah is the NSW State of Origin hooker, he's a Wests Tigers great, he's a great player but it's just not working for us at the moment in regards to the cohesion of our team.

"I'm still not comfortable with where we are on the ladder.

"In my opinion we should be further up with the squad we've got and I've been brought here to get this team going in the right direction and tough decisions need to be made."

In recent times, the Tigers' record is superior when Farah isn't in the side.

"We had a good discussion, we went through some games and some examples of what we're talking about," Taylor said.

"Robbie's very disappointed and I've had a chat to him this morning and his attitude is he's going to get on with it and he's going to do it with a smile on his face."

With AAP

This story was found at: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...gers-hooker-robbie-farah-20160721-gqann2.html

BadSport

Juniors
Shame Mick Potter wasn't kept on.

The issue with a heavily back ended contract was always going to have to be managed, but would have been done so in a much more constructive fashion.

JT just rubs people the wrong way. Pushed Farah into a corner last year, and regardless of how you feel about him, pushing a player in decent enough form out 3 games shy of 250 is just not good for a club. Players remember that sort of thing.

You'd have to think Hasler or the like would be able to manage the hookers game better without throwing the whole lot out in a tantrum.

Gus Gould is a slime ball, but you can see how he used his dodgy psychology to manage Luke Lewis etc out. He would just shake his head at this.

incomparable

Juniors
Farah's games:
Round 4 loss to Parramatta played 55 mins
Round 5 loss to Cronulla played 65 mins
Round 6 loss to Newcastle played 80 mins
Round 7 loss to Melbourne (OT) played 85 mins
Round 8 loss to Canberra played 80 mins
Round 9 win vs Souths played 80 mins.
Round 10 loss to Canterbury played 23 mins (got knocked out)
Round 14 win vs Souths played from bench 54 mins
Round 17 win vs Penrith played from bench 62 mins

3 out of last 4 games are wins??? No, this can't be right.:eek:

I think your figures are better incomparable as you give the minutes played. But then we have to look at the experience of the opposition, who else didn't play, when in a game did Farah come on (when the game was well and truely over perhaps), the other selections by Taylor, e.g. Taylor to 9 vs Chooks in Rd 13.

Still the important stat is that the defence of the Tigers in 2016 is what is losing us games and who's fault is that? umm that would be Farah right?

Just to expand.
Round 1 win vs Warriors (no Farah) but then there was no Brooks, is that the problem?
Round 2 win vs Manly (no Farah) but was it down to Leichhardt Oval? a new Manly team and coach?
Round 3 loss to Titans (no Farah)
Round 4 loss to Parramatta played 55 mins
Round 5 loss to Cronulla played 65 mins
Round 6 loss to Newcastle played 80 mins - some might put that loss down to Milone playing and 'that kick' by Sims !!
Round 7 loss to Melbourne (OT) played 85 mins
Round 8 loss to Canberra played 80 mins - and they lost Halatau after 2 minutes.
Round 9 win vs Souths played 80 mins.- Mitch Moses didn't play, was that why ?
Round 10 loss to Canterbury played 23 mins (got knocked out) - And Teddy didn't play
Round 11 win vs Knights (no Farah)
Round 12 win vs Broncos - with all SOO players missing but it was a win !!
Round 13 loss to Chooks (no Farah)
Round 14 win vs Souths played from bench 54 mins
Round 15 bye
Round 16 loss to Storm - no Farah as he was concussed in SOO
Round 17 win vs Penrith played from bench 62 mins
Round 18 loss vs Dogs (no Farah)
Round 19 bye
Round 20 TBA

Additional useless stats. The Tigers as we know have had a very poor season defence wise with 438 points scored against them, only the knights 570 and Roosters 445 have poorer efforts. So its the missed tackles that are the problem as well as not wrapping up the ball and allowing passes to still get away, unfortunately there are no stats that show that last point.

The following is from nrl.com and shows firstly the missed tackles (top 2 or 3 only) and who is making the tackles and minutes played.

Round 1 win vs Warriors - Missed Moses 5 - Tackles Siro 39 / 71 min & Woods 32 / 70
Round 2 win vs Manly - Moses 5 - Lovett 28/70 & Woods 27/58
Round 3 loss to Titans - Naiqama 3 - Lawrence 36/80 & Woods 35/70
Round 4 loss to Parramatta - Moses 6 & Brooks 4 - Lovett 42/80, Halatau 35/80 & Farah 39/54
Round 5 loss to Cronulla - Brooks 6 & Naiqama 5 - Farah 40/65 & Woods 34/71
Round 6 loss to Newcastle - Brooks 6 & Moses 4 - Farah 42/80 & Grant 35/59
Round 7 loss to Melbourne - Brooks 6 & Halatau 4 - Farah 45/85 & Grant 42/63
Round 8 loss to Canberra - Brooks 6 Moses 5 & Milone 5 - Farah 41/80 & Siro 38/80
Round 9 win vs Souths - Brooks 7 & Naiqama 6 - Lovett 41/80 & Farah 38/80
Round 10 loss to Canterbury - Hunt, Nofoaluma, Moses & Taylor 4 - Taylor 50/70 Grant 43/50
Round 11 win vs Knights - Moses, Halatau & Lawrence 7 - Taylor 42/71 & Woods 33/65
Round 12 win vs Broncos - Brooks 9 & Naiqama 5 - Taylor 48/69 & Lawrence 30/80
Round 13 loss to Chooks - Woods 5, Brooks 4 & Moses 4 - Taylor 51/70 & Lovett 39/74
Round 14 win vs Souths - Taylor, Lawrence & Tedesco 3 - Taylor 39/67 & Farah 25/54
Round 15 bye
Round 16 loss to Storm - Moses 5 - Taylor 38/80 & Lawrence 31/80
Round 17 win vs Penrith - Aloiai, Broks & Moses 5 - Taylor 43/56 & Woods 30/48
Round 18 loss vs Dogs - Brooks 8, Naiqama 5 - Taylor 58/73 & Grant 32/59
Round 19 bye
Round 20 TBA

Ron's_Mate

Bench
OTT - well done, that is some proper analysis, rather than others who just present bare stats and claim they prove something.
I think the real issue with Farah is Jason Taylor. Most likely Taylor wants to stamp his authority on the team by showing he can get rid of a senior player. Likely also he doesn't like him. If it was a decent coach like Bellamy who wanted Farah gone, or to play differently, then I could cop it. But Taylor is a muppet who can't coach.

FootynRacing

Juniors
Does anyone else find it strange that from the nrl team that only Woods and Lawrence were there to watch Farah yesterday ?
I would've thought the entire team would show up !!!

incomparable

Juniors
Does anyone else find it strange that from the nrl team that only Woods and Lawrence were there to watch Farah yesterday ?
I would've thought the entire team would show up !!!
The only one i find weird not turning up is a grand final teammate in Dene.

Maybe also teddy as Robbie helped WT keep him at the club instead of going to Canberra.

I have always thought that FootynRacing, I think that they should be there to support their lower grade team when they are both in town and especially if game is at home.

Former team mates Marshall & Moltzen were there but perhaps some others were spread around, who knows.

Meapro Ham

Juniors
I know the Dragons are no kind of benchmark but the Tigers attack looks a lot less cluttered to me without RF. I think the coach is doing the right thing.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Apparently there were several other WT players at Leichhardt yesterday.

The attack was miserly.