What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gus Discusses our attacking failures

Dea

Juniors
Gus Gould discusses the Dragons attacking deficiencies from the Tigers game.

During the game Gus gave some coaching tips for our team. Looks like he decided to write it down as well. All of this seems to say, "Dragons, you are poorly coached, delivery from the play the ball is poor, your play makers don't create opportunities and you don't have good lines for your runners."

Pretty much tells it like it is.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...george-illawarra-dragons-20160724-gqcs2x.html

The Dragons, by comparison, (to the Tigers) played without confidence and look very uncomfortable when trying to put together attacking sequences.

Possession statistics will show that both teams had equal opportunity to win the game. Both teams completed 29 sets of six, from the 35 opportunities they had with the ball. The tackle counts ended up almost identical with the Dragons completing 285 tackles to the West Tigers 288.

If anything, the Dragons had more opportunities to play attacking football of the two teams. Sixty per cent of the game was played in the Tigers' half of the field. The Dragons had 40 tackles with the ball inside the Tigers' 20m zone. The Tigers only had 14 play-the-balls inside the Dragons' 20 zone.

By full-time, though, the Tigers had crafted four tries. That was a pretty fair effort given their limited opportunities at the Dragons' end of the football field. The Dragons only managed to cross the line twice despite being gifted plenty of possession within striking distance of the Tigers' goal line.

One should praise the Tigers' defensive effort, particularly at their own end of the field, to keep the Dragons to such a meagre total. They worked hard for each other and kept turning up in numbers on the big plays to repel their opposition. The truth of the matter is that the Tigers were aided by the fact the Dragons were throwing very little at them by the way of attack.

The inability of the Dragons to manufacture tries has been a talking point for sometime now. It was there for all to see again yesterday. In my old-fashioned way, I have always believed there are five basic elements that must come together to produce constructive and consistent attacking football.

There is a lot more to building great attacking play than the simplicity of what I'm about to describe right here; but without these basics in place, I don't believe any team can be consistently effective in attack. Firstly, you need to be able to go forward. The Dragons at times actually do this pretty well. They have no trouble advancing the ball upfield.

Secondly, you need to have direction. You need to have an idea of where the set of six is headed and where you want to aim your attacking plays. Again, there is not a great deal of difference between the Dragons and other teams in the premiership in this regard. Whether or not it is the right style of football for the players they have available is open to discussion. But they work to similar positions on the field as any of the other teams in this competition

Thirdly, you need delivery. How are you going to deliver the ball to your playmakers so they are in good position to run their plays? This is where things start to break down a little bit for the Dragons.

They have a limited number of players with creative skills in their team. This makes it difficult to disguise the plays they are about to execute. The ball also seems to get to them very slowly and far too deep to put any real pressure on the opposition defensive line.

There is also very limited variety now the ball is delivered to their creative players. Every time Benji Marshall or Gareth Widdop caught the ball yesterday, the Tigers rushed them with quick moving defence, or defenders had quickly shuffled into position to close down the available opportunities. It was all very predictable and tends to repeat itself over and over during the 80 minutes of a match.

Next, you need to know how to execute some plays. This involves how and where the ball-player runs with the ball in hand, teasing the defensive line, combining with the running patterns of the potential ball receivers. This is all about, sleight of hand, looking for a reaction from the defensive players and punishing any mistakes or indecision by putting the ball in front of men running hard into holes.

This is pretty much where it all falls apart for the Dragons. It takes too long to describe in words exactly what I'm talking about. Suffice to say, the Dragons need a lot of work on this part of their game.

Finally, you need players with great football instincts. More often than not, tries in rugby league are not scored by great plays; they are scored by great players. Great players can make the most basic of attacking structures look great. Hell, great players can make coaches look great.

The Dragons play very little football on instinct.

The Tigers, on the other hand, have instinct to burn. They run similar patterns and similar plays to the Dragons. By comparison, they deliver the ball to their playmakers faster, they execute their running patterns better and they know what reactions they want from the opposition defensive line.

The big difference is that they have players who also play on instinct. They react quickly to what's presented before them. They feed off each other's skills and they trust each other's abilities without hesitation. That's where the Tigers excelled in this match. It was the difference between the two teams.

If the Tigers had as much possession at the Dragons' end of the field as the Dragons enjoyed at theirs, I suspect they would have scored another three or four tries, so potent is their attacking game.

Quite simply, the Tigers kids just do it better.

But Mary said that the Tigers missed 40 tackles to our 22 and they scored a couple of length of the field tries (apparently they are the same as tries from kicks..don't count in Dragons footy ).

I love length of the field tries - when WE score them. I don't know why we describe them as lesser tries when making excuses. And most of our tries are scored off kicks, like the one we scored ...it was about 3 years ago.

Minh

First Grade
Good analysis from Gould, seems like he's critical of our dummy half delivery as well as our support play structures. He's also critical of of our players not being allowed to play on instinct and play whats in front of them and at the end also has a crack as to say we need to blood more kids in saying the Tigers kids did it better......

dungay dragon

Juniors
Good analysis from Gould, seems like he's critical of our dummy half delivery as well as our support play structures. He's also critical of of our players not being allowed to play on instinct and play whats in front of them and at the end also has a crack as to say we need to blood more kids in saying the Tigers kids did it better......
Gus and Johns along with Gaz have been saying the same about our structures and " Dragon Footy "' all year long !!
Plain and simple..we desperately need new halves pairing and new hooker/dummy half..We are the most dis organised side in the NRL.When the halves cant steer the ship , the forwards are clueless..
On what i saw of Milne yesterday i wouldnt hesitate to give him a crack at 6 !! cant do much worse than the one we have now !!!

Morotti

Juniors
Gould mentioned it in the telecast yesterday and pointed out some on field examples of the differences between the dragons and tigers. Like he said we can get down the other end, we just dont create hesitstion in the opposition defence. They are comfortable that they know everything we will do. And lets be honest you knowbon tv what is going to happen.

since77

Juniors
But Mary said that the Tigers missed 40 tackles to our 22 and they scored a couple of length of the field tries (apparently they are the same as tries from kicks..don't count in Dragons footy ).
Heard that too. I feel much better now that I understand that length of the field tries, much like tries off kicks and barge overs are just pieces of bad luck and something that you can't defend........

dragoncountry

Juniors
as much as I dislike listening to Gus he knows his shit.
all we need no is for our coach to take his head out of his arse and read this an act.
Widdop is continually doing my head in, he has no confidence in what he's trying to do (includes his all round kicking, its terrible) he and Marshall just cannot play together full stop. 2 internationals mind you...
our season is gone. I wouldn't want my team to limp into the semi's on this form it would be embarrassing.
I think as hard as it would be on the kid id put Widdop to hooker (and take captaincy off him to much preasure, let benji captain) and give Hutch the gig and leave him there to form a combo with Marshall. (yes I prefer Benji over widdop. personal opinion) Milne to stay in centres for rest of year. Id like to see Dufty given a chance for remainder of year ( but know it wont happen) then Duges back to fullback.
I actually agree I think forwards have been doing their bit but now they are frustrated because our halves are not building on their platform.
my team for rest of year..
1.Dugan
2.Mann
3.Aitken
4.Milne
5.Nightingale
6.Hutchinson
7.Marshall (C)
8.Ah Mau
9.Widdop
10.Packer
11.Sims
12.Thompson
13.Frizell

14.De Belin
15.Cooper
16.Host
17.Rein
18.Mathews
19. Marketo

OzDragon

Coach
as much as I dislike listening to Gus he knows his shit.
all we need no is for our coach to take his head out of his arse and read this an act.
Widdop is continually doing my head in, he has no confidence in what he's trying to do (includes his all round kicking, its terrible) he and Marshall just cannot play together full stop. 2 internationals mind you...
our season is gone. I wouldn't want my team to limp into the semi's on this form it would be embarrassing.
I think as hard as it would be on the kid id put Widdop to hooker (and take captaincy off him to much preasure, let benji captain) and give Hutch the gig and leave him there to form a combo with Marshall. (yes I prefer Benji over widdop. personal opinion) Milne to stay in centres for rest of year. Id like to see Dufty given a chance for remainder of year ( but know it wont happen) then Duges back to fullback.
I actually agree I think forwards have been doing their bit but now they are frustrated because our halves are not building on their platform.
my team for rest of year..
1.Dugan
2.Mann
3.Aitken
4.Milne
5.Nightingale
6.Hutchinson
7.Marshall (C)
8.Ah Mau
9.Widdop
10.Packer
11.Sims
12.Thompson
13.Frizell

14.De Belin
15.Cooper
16.Host
17.Rein
18.Mathews
19. Marketo
I'd rather give the captaincy to Nighty.

Also, given our season has gone down the shitter, I'd like Creagh to play at least one game even if it's only for 10 minutes in round 26 so he can have a proper send off (as his retirement is looking more and more likely due to his injury).

Dea

Juniors
Mary in post match comments - "There is frustration which comes from things that are happening on the outside. The boys have to unload that expectation everyone has and play more of a natural game."

I think the team is coached far away from "a natural game" and they are so focused on completing sets they don't play what is in front of them. Gould hilighted this in game when we had players outside to run and Widdop plays the runner into the defence.

Vinnie

Juniors
Well said Gus, our attack has no clue, we look lost when we are in attacking positions we have no strike power ! no big plays ! Poor lines and no execution ! who's to blame ?? Hey the Captain always goes down with the ship and Mary your the captain !!! If their not following your orders and not playing to your script well sack them SACK THEM ALL !!! the seasons over give the young ones a go ! But if they are playing to your script and you still cant work out that it just doesn't work well then lets have a good look at the caocjing staff including yourself and well u know the rest ..........

Wittenberg

Juniors
I was there yesterday. Many say we are totally disorganised. I beg to differ, we are too organised. We play Mary football. We run one up, shuffle along our forwards, turn Friz back inside or do a run around. We become predictable and sides can run up on us. You can't play instinctively or what is in front of you if it is not part of the 'plan'. We criticise many of our players but I wonder how they would go under another coach and a team playing under a different philosophy.

Latest posts