What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is this worth a try?

I cannot accept the claim that we haven't got the cattle. I believe that we have a talented group of players across the park, we just have a coach that seems to come out with the same (unsuccessful) game plan every week.Although our roster could do with a little tweek, I do believe a tactical / motivational coach could get a lot more out of the current group of players.

Our lack of attack has been a subject of frustration ever since Wayne Bennett left. One stand out is the lack of support play and this is obvious at times when forwards are looking for an offload and there is no one hitting a hole or looking for a second phase play. If we look at the current backline and make some subtle changes, perhaps we may get a different result. My thoughts, shoot me down if you wish!

1. Widdop (allows him to roam and takes away the pressure of being the playmaker)
2. Nightingale
3. Aitken
4 Milne
5. Mann
6. Benji ( give Benji a chance at playing the position he actually played during his prime years)
7. Quinlan ( playing closer to the action - allowing him to hang around the forwards and perhaps create something from second phase plays or hit a hole )

emu62

Juniors
I cannot accept the claim that we haven't got the cattle. I believe that we have a talented group of players across the park, we just have a coach that seems to come out with the same (unsuccessful) game plan every week.Although our roster could do with a little tweek, I do believe a tactical / motivational coach could get a lot more out of the current group of players.

Our lack of attack has been a subject of frustration ever since Wayne Bennett left. One stand out is the lack of support play and this is obvious at times when forwards are looking for an offload and there is no one hitting a hole or looking for a second phase play. If we look at the current backline and make some subtle changes, perhaps we may get a different result. My thoughts, shoot me down if you wish!

1. Widdop (allows him to roam and takes away the pressure of being the playmaker)
2. Nightingale
3. Aitken
4 Milne
5. Mann
6. Benji ( give Benji a chance at playing the position he actually played during his prime years)
7. Quinlan ( playing closer to the action - allowing him to hang around the forwards and perhaps create something from second phase plays or hit a hole )

Agree with your thoughts 100%. Not necessarily with your tweaks but hey everybody is entitled to their opinion

Zucchini

Juniors
I like it. And let's face it, when we're currently averaging less than 13 points a game, what do we have to lose. And getting Widdop out of the halves could only be a good thing, as far as I'm concerned.

monsterkev

Juniors

2. Nightingale
3. Aitken
4 Milne
5. Mann
mann to half back he is the only player in the side able to score tries and he needs to be more involved and have his hands on the ball every set

giboz71

First Grade
The more I watched the Dogs game, I tend to agree. we have the elements of a good side. Just not at the key positions, in particular 9 and 7. Come 2017, I would try this side:

Dugan - No, he can't pass but we have no other option at FB. If we're paying him 800k, he must play FB
Mann - Keeps getting better each week. And can play any position in the backline.
Aitken - Another year under his belt, could be anything.
Milne - Shows speed and strength which we have sorely lacked
Dufty - Now we have given him a contract, must be blooded on the wing, could be the successor at FB
Widdop - Give him one more year, surely his talent hasn't completely disappeared.
New Halfback - Have no idea who this is, thought it would be Keary. Benji must be moved on.
Sims - Thought he's shown plenty in the few games he's played
Frizz - Now he's had a taste of Origin, next year will be awesome
Thommo - Needs to be our forward leader, now that Creagh will retire
Packer - Given it's his first full year back, he's gone pretty well.
New Hooker - Rein must go. That is all. I'd even take Farah for 1 year till a new 9 becomes available
New Prop - Ah Mau has regressed back to his Price years. We must now have a no plodder policy.

Bench:
Host - Best young forward we have
JDB - Hasn't kicked on, but I still have hope
Masoe - Sorely missed this year, the big body off the bench we've been missing.
New Triangle Player - to replace Havili

So we're a few players short of where we need to be. Half, Hooker, Prop and bench utility. But we have the nucleus of a good side for next year.

Our recruitment just has to get it done with the holes I have mentioned above.

Oh, and replace our coach while we're at it.

Get2dachopper!

Juniors

2. Nightingale
3. Aitken
4 Milne
5. Mann

I like this team. I'd also have McCrone at hooker, he has a decent passing game at least. Worked for Penrith/Wallace.

dragoncountry

Juniors
Dufty
Mann
Dugan
Milne
Nightingale
Widdop ( no captaincy)
Marshall
Packer
Farah
Ah Mau
Thompson
Frizzell
Aitken ( to slow and cant turn, that's why I picked in forwards ) does run hard and can defend.

De Belin
Host
Masoe
Simms

Coach Cleary...(we need an outsider)

BennyV

Referee
The more I watched the Dogs game, I tend to agree. we have the elements of a good side. Just not at the key positions, in particular 9 and 7. Come 2017, I would try this side:

Dugan - No, he can't pass but we have no other option at FB. If we're paying him 800k, he must play FB
Mann - Keeps getting better each week. And can play any position in the backline.
Aitken - Another year under his belt, could be anything.
Milne - Shows speed and strength which we have sorely lacked
Dufty - Now we have given him a contract, must be blooded on the wing, could be the successor at FB
Widdop - Give him one more year, surely his talent hasn't completely disappeared.
New Halfback - Have no idea who this is, thought it would be Keary. Benji must be moved on.
Sims - Thought he's shown plenty in the few games he's played
Frizz - Now he's had a taste of Origin, next year will be awesome
Thommo - Needs to be our forward leader, now that Creagh will retire
Packer - Given it's his first full year back, he's gone pretty well.
New Hooker - Rein must go. That is all. I'd even take Farah for 1 year till a new 9 becomes available
New Prop - Ah Mau has regressed back to his Price years. We must now have a no plodder policy.

Bench:
Host - Best young forward we have
JDB - Hasn't kicked on, but I still have hope
Masoe - Sorely missed this year, the big body off the bench we've been missing.
New Triangle Player - to replace Havili

So we're a few players short of where we need to be. Half, Hooker, Prop and bench utility. But we have the nucleus of a good side for next year.

Our recruitment just has to get it done with the holes I have mentioned above.

Oh, and replace our coach while we're at it.
Bench is too light. Unless you're playing JDB at prop...I'm not 100% convinced we need an edge player on the bench, Thommo and Friz play 80 mins and in case of injury, Simms can move out there. I'd like Host to get more game time, just not sure where.

Sele would be a good option methinks.

giboz71

First Grade
Bench is too light. Unless you're playing JDB at prop...I'm not 100% convinced we need an edge player on the bench, Thommo and Friz play 80 mins and in case of injury, Simms can move out there. I'd like Host to get more game time, just not sure where.

Sele would be a good option methinks.

I somehow doubt we'd set Ah Mau loose, so maybe he could fill that bench prop role.

I really want no more plodders in our side, lack of speed has really killed us going on 5years now. So bye, bye, Lafai, KFFL, Marketo, and unfortunately Nighty and Ah Mau. We need impact players, either with size or speed. We've been carrying too many slow (Nighty, Lafai) and undersized (Marketo) players for way too long,

Match those impact players with a skillful 7 and 9 and we could go places.

I like this team. I'd also have McCrone at hooker, he has a decent passing game at least. Worked for Penrith/Wallace.
I agree with McCrone to hooker - the backline I have suggested is referring to the rest of this year (not long term), we have nothing to lose and getting Rein out of the attack could only be a positive as well.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
My 5c worth
1. Widdop (co-capt)
2. Dufty
3. Milne
4. Dugan
5. Nighty
6. Benji (we ain't getting any one else)
7. Mann
8. Lam
9. Farah (will come if Benji stays)
10. Packer (co-captain)
11. Friz
12. Thompson
13. Aitken

14. Masoe
15. Sims
16. JDB
17. Matthews

I think Matthews is a good utility player. He can play in the forwards and centre.
If we have an injury in the forwards or backs we then have flexibility to move players around without putting them out of position.
The unfortunate one is Host. But he will get his chances during the season and 2018 will be his year. If JD is still coach of the Cutters he will develop more in any case under him.
Dugans salary does not dictate where he plays.

ruthless dragon

Juniors

2. Nightingale
3. Aitken
4 Milne
5. Mann
Ive said for ages Widdop should have ago at Full back If they consistently played like they did in the 2nd half against the dogs Widdop would be a weapon. Put Mann at 5/8

Dragonscales

Juniors
What's your side Einstein?

Full Strength Team?

1. Josh Dugan
2. Kurt Mann
3. Euan Aitken
4. Taane Milne
5. Jason Nightingale
6. Gareth Widdop
7. Benji Marshall
8. Leeson Ah Mau
9. Siliva Havili
10. Russell Packer
11. Tyson Frizell
12. Tariq Sims
13. Jack de Belin

14. Mitch Rein
15. Mike Cooper
16. Mose Masoe
17. Joel Thompson

giboz71

First Grade
Full Strength Team?

1. Josh Dugan
2. Kurt Mann
3. Euan Aitken
4. Taane Milne
5. Jason Nightingale
6. Gareth Widdop
7. Benji Marshall
8. Leeson Ah Mau
9. Siliva Havili
10. Russell Packer
11. Tyson Frizell
12. Tariq Sims
13. Jack de Belin

14. Mitch Rein
15. Mike Cooper
16. Mose Masoe
17. Joel Thompson

Hmmm...ok.

That's pretty much 95% the side we have today (with the exception of Masoe). Definition of insanity?

In case you haven't noticed, we're probably one of the worse 2 sides in the comp, yet you want to persist with pretty much the same side without addressing our biggest problems (Hooker, Half and speed out wide).

Considering you've rubbished everyone else's suggestions in this thread, you haven't exactly offered anything groundbreaking.

Dragonscales

Juniors
Hmmm...ok.

That's pretty much 95% the side we have today (with the exception of Masoe). Definition of insanity?

In case you haven't noticed, we're probably one of the worse 2 sides in the comp, yet you want to persist with pretty much the same side without addressing our biggest problems (Hooker, Half and speed out wide).

Considering you've rubbished everyone else's suggestions in this thread, you haven't exactly offered anything groundbreaking.

Our attacking problems have nothing to do with team selections or our players. It's down to the coaching staff and McGregor.

Widdop to fullback, McCrone to hooker, Quinlan to halfback, Mann to the halves, Aitken at lock (what a god-awful idea) and Packer for co-captain are all terrible ideas and will only make the team worse.

Latest posts