What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

dufty

jak

Bench
has he ever played in the 6 or 7 comming through the ranks if so has he got any kind of kicking game we have to find a spot for him a mark shulman type half would be nice.

TheRev

First Grade
I was rly hoping they would play him @6 this year, so he could ease far more easily into NSW Cup / 1st grade, as the fullback path is far tougher while hes still growing.

But who knows, maybe they have trialled him there in pre-season and decided #1 was best.. there also isnt a lot of other talent knocking down the fullback door either so the position is really his at the moment.

saintm

Juniors
has he ever played in the 6 or 7 comming through the ranks if so has he got any kind of kicking game we have to find a spot for him a mark shulman type half would be nice.
Played 7 in Harold Matthews cup. played 6 for his club. played U16 NSWCCC at 6

dragoncountry

Juniors
this guy should be our 1 for rest of year. grooming for a full stint in nrl next year. why do we all talk about making him a 6 or a 7? he is braining them at 1, leave him at one. he will be a long term solution. we cant keep denying our young talent for the secret boys club players.

Dragon Revival

Juniors
I would let Dugan go as he is not worth the dollars as he is continually injured or playing State of Origin. We have enough good backs in our three grades and just need to prioritize them and flick those who are perennially injured. I believe that Dufty, Kemp and Nightingale give us enough strength in fullbacks and the would only cost in total 80% of what we pay Dugan. We are also very well off for centres but a bit light on in wingers as Glymin, Thompson and Garrick have injury worries. Our only good halves are in the Under 20's and they are great.

TheRev

First Grade
Dugan should be let go after his contract is up to.
Spot on, for on 50% of the money Aitken is a better right centre than Dugan & on 25% of the month, Milne is a better right centre than Dugan... thats a startling reality check, that Dugan cant hold that spot (despite ludicrous selections for NSW and Australia at one point, though I think Loz & Meninga have realised now).

Dugan has lost so much speed and acceleration, hes not the threat we need from centre, if he could play left side maybe.. but as much as I love the man (and the player he used to be), his last re-signing on marquee dollars is holding our roster back big-time, for his dollars we can sign a very talented ball playing fullback with 300-400k left over to sign another gun prop, winger or whatever..

saintm

Juniors
Spot on, for on 50% of the money Aitken is a better right centre than Dugan & on 25% of the month, Milne is a better right centre than Dugan... thats a startling reality check, that Dugan cant hold that spot (despite ludicrous selections for NSW and Australia at one point, though I think Loz & Meninga have realised now).

Dugan has lost so much speed and acceleration, hes not the threat we need from centre, if he could play left side maybe.. but as much as I love the man (and the player he used to be), his last re-signing on marquee dollars is holding our roster back big-time, for his dollars we can sign a very talented ball playing fullback with 300-400k left over to sign another gun prop, winger or whatever..
Haven't we just re-signed Dufty? why do we need a fullback

Dragonslayer

First Grade

I sort of agree and not agree.
When Dugan came to the Dragons in 2013 he had speed, maneuverability, a passing game and even kicked goals (in his 10 games in 2013 he scored 6 tries and kicked 11 goals) and that was under Price.
Then along came McGregor in 2014. Dugan actually played centre for a lot of that season (12 games) scoring 10 tries from 18 games including a hat-trick against the Sharks.
Since then he has bulked up considerably, lost pace and has played fullback. In 2015 he scored 7 tries (from 22 games) and actually kicked 4 goals (anyone remember that?).
This year he's only crossed twice from 13 game appearances.

Personally I'd like to see him under a new coach with the Dragons before I'd look to trade him off. McGregor hasn't done him any favours, so maybe a coach with a positive attacking structure would improve his game and then he would earn his coin wether at fullback or centre.
Until then my jury is out.

TheRev

First Grade
I sort of agree and not agree.
When Dugan came to the Dragons in 2013 he had speed, maneuverability, a passing game and even kicked goals (in his 10 games in 2013 he scored 6 tries and kicked 11 goals) and that was under Price.
Then along came McGregor in 2014. Dugan actually played centre for a lot of that season (12 games) scoring 10 tries from 18 games including a hat-trick against the Sharks.
Since then he has bulked up considerably, lost pace and has played fullback. In 2015 he scored 7 tries (from 22 games) and actually kicked 4 goals (anyone remember that?).
This year he's only crossed twice from 13 game appearances.

Personally I'd like to see him under a new coach with the Dragons before I'd look to trade him off. McGregor hasn't done him any favours, so maybe a coach with a positive attacking structure would improve his game and then he would earn his coin wether at fullback or centre.
Until then my jury is out.
There is 2 debates here though, I'm 100% with you, in 2014 I wanted Duges @ ctr, but disregarding the debate about whether he can regain his <2014 form, would you re-sign him & play him at Right Centre over Aitken &/or Milne? For the sake of argument, lets say Duges re-signs at 500k (instead of 800k), and factor in his age & that we will probably lose Milne &/or Aitken in the process. Herbert is probably 2yrs off also.

Right Ctr is the mostly hotly contested spot in our squad, and whats amazing is that we almost signed Roberts pre-season.

BringTheNoise

Juniors
Dugan is a world class player suffering in the worlds most shittiest attacking structure in the history of Rugby League.

That being said I think we have Buckley's chance of retaining him once his contract is up because he is a fierce competitor who would probably like a decent crack at winning a premiership before he retires.