What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

O/T: Foran, Rothfield and Hayson

phantom eel

First Grade
Because the Foran Release thread has for some reason turned into pages and pages of Pou debating stats comparing Watmough and Beau Scott...

Here is a thread with:

a) a link to the 27min audio of Rothfield's interview with Foran
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...k=9c94a3b6d7f710d360741c8b2087d672-1469948317

b) a link to the accompanying Sunday Telegraph story of 31 July
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...t/news-story/172925890e917c4ffa125da767ce4307

c) a place people can actually discuss Foran developments without being taken down on of Pou's obstinate tangential diversions.

phantom eel

First Grade
Salvaged posts from this morning (4 pages ago in teh Foran release thread):

There a 30 minute interview between Rothfield and Foran on the DT website. I can't work out how to post the link.

Firstly, the bloke loves a good lip smacking. Secondly, it's baffling that BA made him captain after he was booked into a mental health clinic before Christmas. And lastly, the merkin will be at the Bulldogs next year.

Not one thankyou to the club, fans or team mates that stood by him when he was at his worst.
I actually feel for the guy.

Diagnosis bipolar, weekly psychologist sessions, weekly skype psychiatrist sessions, daily medication etc.

Speaks openly about how bad things got for him, breakup of releationship from November, asking BA for help in December and doing a three week stint in a hospital clinic, child born and things still swirling around such that he attempts suicide by tablets in April, does another three week clinic stay in May.

He can only answer the questionsbuzz qasks him, so I don't care that he didn't mention our players - they've been his teammates for what seven months of a seven year plus career. Foran is obviously close to Brad Arthur, and as we've seen this season, BA is "the club" - why would Foran credit anyone else in our joint for the support?

Clearly isn't thinking about his next contract yet, sounds like he's come a long way reigning in his drinking, gambling, approach to depression, and management of his condition. So much came from the breakup of his long-term relationship, including 3 hour round trips to attend training, lack of sleep and it's impact on not being able to maintain things at a new club in the face of what was unfolding for him.

I wish the guy all the best, must be good to be able to address the rumours, and sounds like time away from league is the best outcome for all concerned.

phantom eel

First Grade
More salvaged...

The thing that baffles me is he supposedly told BA about his issues in December spent Christmas in a mental health facility but gets appointed captain 2 months later.
Maybe that's how desperate we/BA was to have a different on field leader than perennial nice guy Timmy...?
Surely Scott would have been a safer option if a change was necessary. It was a massive error of judgement by BA.

phantom eel

First Grade
More salvaged...

I got hammered for saying this months ago. Still can't believe People were claiming the overdose was accidental and certainly not drug abuse.
I had bipolar in a previous life, it's one of those illnesses that can be hidden from the public and even those closest to you as you can be up on a high so to speak and everything looks rosey but when you get behind closed doors there is a massive crash waiting to happen. I've seen those dark days myself but obviously never had all the public attention Keiran had and the expectations that go with it. I wish him the best, there is light at the end of it.
Notable NRL players with Bi Polar ? Andrew Johns, Tim Smith, Peter Jackson & Kieran Foran.
Ben Hannant.

phantom eel

First Grade
More salvaged... only buried by three pages of Pou now.
bi polar. The go to condition!!!
Article of interview: http://www.triplem.com.au/sydney/sp...ieran-foran-speaks-following-parramatta-exit/

Troubled former Parramatta and Manly star Kieran Foran has admitted he tried to take his own life as personal issues involving his ex-partner got the better of him.

The Kiwi international was granted a release from the beleaguered Eels last week, less than a year after joining the club from Manly on a five-year deal worth $5 million.

In a candid interview with News Corp Australia, Foran revealed that he has walked away from the NRL to focus on getting his life back on track.

He told Eels coach Brad Arthur in December that he was struggling to cope before his life spiralled out of control in April.

"The intent was there," Foran said.

"I wanted out. About 1.30am I remember driving in my car, thinking in my head what way I was going to kill myself.

"I ended up driving back to my apartment, where I was staying in the city. I had a batch of left-over pills that were pain-killing medication. I tried to basically overdose.

"I remember the week vividly. I had been struggling, I had a lot going on. Trying to work through my relationship breakdown, with two young kids, with my ex-partner, while juggling football.

"I just wasn't coping. I could see I was starting to lose hope on life, really. I just couldn't see that light at the end of the tunnel.

"I just remember one late Thursday night it all got too much for me.

"I can't remember the exact amount (of pills I took). It was a handful. I remember getting told the next day by the nurses that it wasn't enough to kill me but definitely enough to make me crook.

"At the time I was hoping that it was gonna do the job. I'm grateful I'm here today, but I remember waking up the next morning wishing that it had worked.

kieran-foran-kiwis-628.jpg

Foran says there is no time frame for a return rugby league.

"My priority at the moment is getting myself right," he said.

"I know there will come a time where I need to earn a living.

"When I get that love and desire back for rugby league, then I will know I will want to play it again.

"At the moment I have no motivation to play it. I wanna get my shoulder right. I wanna get healthy again in the mind and the body."

http://www.triplem.com.au/sydney/sp...ieran-foran-speaks-following-parramatta-exit/

Fairly obvious it wasn't 'accidental'

phantom eel

First Grade

phantom eel

First Grade
@EelsFan05 - agree about Scott seeming the safer option in hindsight. But isn't Scott with us to be closer to Westmead for family medical reasons? Beau may well have declined the start of season leadership role, and in February when captaincy was announced, things might have been looking on the up for Foran?

@Snoochies - I'd imagine it's a tough thing to deal with even without the public scrutiny. Foran's appearsto have done nothing that harmed anyone else, that's why I can't judge him too harshly for deciding he needed a release from league for the time being, to try and get things flowing right without the employment pressure.

@Pou - he was staying with his brother at Cessnock, the only reason he took an apartment in the city was to try and cut down the driving tiem to and from training, which he explains in the interview was doing him in. I don't think the city apartment was a factor in Foran's overdose on prescription drugs.

Gronk

Staff member

Sports and Mental Illness: How Bipolar Disorder Can Affect Athletic Performance

By Tim McGhee, Correspondent

Bipolar disorder is a physical disease of the brain affecting the thoughts, feelings, perception, and behavior of the afflicted.

The name "bipolar" stems from the nature of the illness. The moods of a person suffering from bipolar disorder typically range from euphoria to despondence, at times random, or at times triggered by an action or event.

This oscillation between extreme mood states, commonly called “mood swings,” is indeed abnormal and can be dangerous to the life of a person with bipolar disorder.

Bipolars are, at the least, annoying to those close to the them. The mood swings influence the person’s inability to live in the real world and make wise real world decisions.

I am among the 2.6 percent of the adult population in the United States diagnosed with bipolar disorder.

God help those who are bipolar but haven't been diagnosed.

What is bipolar disorder, you may ask. Well, from one lay person to others, I offer a pretty good explanation in the following paragraphs:

The human brain consists of neurons, or groups of charged brain cells, that process information through electrical and chemical signaling. Neurons control the operation of the brain, telling the mind and the body what to do.

Neurons are connected by synapses, which are essentially the "wires" through which the neurons "fire" their messages to other neurons, allowing the neurons to communicate.

The synapses of a person suffering bipolar disorder are chemically different than those of a person who is not bipolar. This abnormal, or imbalanced, chemistry causes that brain's neurons to "misfire," adversely affecting the transmission of the messages.

Interestingly, due to the chemically abnormal synapses and their effects on neuron messages, the root cause of bipolar disorder as a mental illness is a physical disease of the brain.

As of this writing, bipolar disorder cannot be cured. The illness, however, can be treated and treated successfully in many cases.

People with bipolar disorder probably acquired the disease genetically. Two thirds of those with bipolar disorder have at least one close relative afflicted with the illness.

Here's what I ask: If you do anything with my anecdotal knowledge about bipolar disorder, I urge you to please consider the physical nature of the disease and take it seriously.

Please understand this: Bipolar disorder is not a character flaw, is notSatan in my soul, and is not punishment from God for my sinful life.

Trust me. I've heard them all. A lot of it is wrong.

Read entire article here ---> http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...olar-disorder-can-affect-athletic-performance

Gronk

Staff member
My 2 cents is that I listened to the 27min Rothfield interview and as much it was designed to repair Foz's reputation as much as it was Haysons (LOL Rothfileld you've been caught out) it's pretty clear that Foz is hurting and his release is a good outcome for the Eels.

From Foz's point of view I wish him well in his quest to get as normal in life as he can. If Des wants to sign him them good luck with that because to build a team around a player who is is bipolar is a massive risk. Just as BA.

PS. I know that some will post that Foz has just played the depression card as an excuse for his actions, however I believe that he is ill as diagnosed. His actions are a result of his disease, rather than visa versa.

phantom eel

First Grade
Agree, the reported incidents for Foran in the past 9 months do all seem as a consequence of his mental health diagnosis (from December), rather than the diagnosis coming after a long series of unexplained behavioural incidents (a la Tim Smith).

I added Hayson's name in the title for this thread, as I expect there will be more discussion to come as the News Limited investigation of Rothfield's links with Hayson continues... not that there's anything wrong with reimbursing a mate's TAB account with $2K for all the NRL tickets that he got you during the past season?

I make a (almost) vegetable soup with onions, leek, carrots, swedes, red kidney beans and quinoa (so I can it some yuppie shit). I first fry off some chorizo in oil before softening the onions carrots etc in the oil. Chuck lots of stock in with all the other veges, some herbs and some smoky paprika. Excellent in a Canberra winter....might snow on Wednesday.

Thats great Barry! You can go a step further & caramalise your onions in beer/sugar & add that to the chorizos once they've browned. Get the soup simmering add a few reggiano or padano rinds - they'll thicken the soup & add some umami goodness.

phantom eel

First Grade
Thats great Barry! You can go a step further & caramalise your onions in beer/sugar & add that to the chorizos once they've browned. Get the soup simmering add a few reggiano or padano rinds - they'll thicken the soup & add some umami goodness.
I think you're in the wrong thread, mate? You probably want Pou's Watmough v Scott thread...

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Who says running metres means more than offloads? You??

Obviously. Running metres are a 'primary stat', if you will, because they indicate an unambiguous advantage to the attacking team. Offloads, as I've said three or four times now, indicate no measure of whether the offload was beneficial to the attacking team or not. Here's a stat for you - last weekend six of the teams with the most running metres in their game won, while the winning team had the most offloads in only three games. So far this round it is more even, with 4/7 winners having the most offloads and 5/7 the most running metres. But the teams that won their match with less running metres had an average of only 12 metres less (out of about 1500), so less than 1%. Meanwhile the teams who won with less offloads were out-offloaded (yes it's a word) by an average of 7 offloads to 15. That's over 100% difference.

If run metres is the main measure of attacking contribution then Faraimo would have a higher contribution to Watmough, which is ridiculous to suggest.

Why is that ridiculous? A team's primary go-forward winger (if they have one, and we must have one with lightweight French on the other wing) is a major contributor to its attack. While Faraimo is on our team he is a key attacking player. The main reason he is a backup is because he is a liability in defence (against both the run and the kick). Likewise Vai Toutai last night.

I'd actually be surprised if he was 40th but even if that's the case, you have been singing the praises of an "average" attacking player.

If I were to downgrade him to a 5 out of 10 (for example) then I would have to downgrade Scott even lower. In 17 games this year the best contribution to our running metres has been 7th (as in, he had the 7th highest running metres on our team that day). On six occasions 13 players on our team have run for more metres than him. He has only been in the top half of contributors to our running metres twice in 17 games. If Watmough is average then Scott is a long way below average.

Scotts offloading ability is enough of a feature to have us win more than we lost with Scott in the team. Something watmough's run metres didn't.

We actually scored more points last year (per game). We have won more this year due to much better defence. The addition of so many quality defenders (including Scott) and the loss of Sandow are the causes of that.

Anyway, I get the feeling people are annoyed we have derailed a thread that's meant to be about Foran. No amount of evidenced based reasoning is going to change the opinion of someone with an "I'm right because I said so" mindset so we'll just have to agree to disagree and apologies to everyone else for going off topic.

Agreed mate, you're never going to change your mind, even after showing you how little Scott is contributing to our attack this year. He just doesn't make the metres so he throws a few offloads. At least he makes good decisions on when to throw them.

Last edited:
Obviously. Running metres are a 'primary stat', if you will, because they indicate an unambiguous advantage to the attacking team. Offloads, as I've said three or four times now, indicate no measure of whether the offload was beneficial to the attacking team or not. Here's a stat for you - last weekend six of the teams with the most running metres in their game won, while the winning team had the most offloads in only three games. So far this round it is more even, with 4/7 winners having the most offloads and 5/7 the most running metres. But the teams that won their match with less running metres had an average of only 12 metres less (out of about 1500), so less than 1%. Meanwhile the teams who won with less offloads were out-offloaded (yes it's a word) by an average of 7 offloads to 15. That's over 100% difference.

Why is that ridiculous? A team's primary go-forward winger (if they have one, and we must have one with lightweight French on the other wing) is a major contributor to its attack. While Faraimo is on our team he is a key attacking player. The main reason he is a backup is because he is a liability in defence (against both the run and the kick). Likewise Vai Toutai last night.

If I were to downgrade him to a 5 out of 10 (for example) then I would have to downgrade Scott even lower. In 17 games this year the best contribution to our running metres has been 7th (as in, he had the 7th highest running metres on our team that day). On six occasions 13 players on our team have run for more metres than him. He has only been in the top half of contributors to our running metres twice in 17 games. If Watmough is average then Scott is a long way below average.

We actually scored more points last year (per game). We have won more this year due to much better defence. The addition of so many quality defenders (including Scott) and the loss of Sandow are the causes of that.

Agreed mate, you're never going to change your mind, even after showing you how little Scott is contributing to our attack this year. He just doesn't make the metres so he throws a few offloads. At least he makes good decisions on when to throw them.

Thats all well & good - but until Gary Gutful makes a humorously irreverent post on the topic, how are we meant to know how many tissues Avenger has used up on the Hayne conundrum? Think of the children!

Noise

Coach
Haha Happy MEel apologises to all for going off topic and pulls up stumps on the discussion yet Pou keeps arguing (with himself it now seems) with what may be the longest post of the argument.

Latest posts