What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reffing in Golden Point

ozenzud

Juniors
As a warriors supporter, I have become an expert on Golden Point (GP) matches.

The warriors have lost a few of these GP matches because, unlike their opposition, they have not pushed the rules as much as the opposition and they have tried to play like you would normally play in the 80 minutes. The refs seem absolutely reluctant to issue penalties. And this is just not right.

Against Penriff, the Warriors should have got a blatant marker error penalty right under the posts (Latu). It was about as bad as I have ever seen not to be penalised. This was just ridiculous. I'm whinging now as we won, nobody listens when you lose.

Penriff were blatantly offside on heaps of other plays and there was no response from the refs? Why? Surely the rules are not suddenly abandoned in GP?

moffla

Bench
This happens in most GP games. The refs have a fear of blowing for a penalty purely because if they're wrong the spotlight will be squarely on them. They need to harden up and make a decision, I agree.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Reffing in golden point is THE biggest blight on the game. It's flat out embarrassing.

I'd love to see a stat on how many penalties have been given in golden point. It'd probably equate to 1 penalty per 80min played.

The sooner it is made 'golden try' the better.

JJ

Immortal
Yep, reffing in golden point is a joke - but let's not pretend our (Warriors) losses have been because we are gentlemen of the sport and stick to the rules religiously - that's pretty funny - we're pushing the boundaries as much as anyone, watch the Manly game, about the only guy ever onside for the drop goals was Jake T - and his play was the match winner.

they should stick to draws imo, but the holier than thou attitude from some of my fellow Warriors fans is pretty f**king funny

Golden try wouldn't work Tommy, they'd still spend all day off side and be happy to concede penalties

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
only GP i can remember being won by a penalty kick off the top of my head was funnily enough against the warriors back in 04/05 me thinks. Only because monty betham tried to remove someones head and really couldn't be ingored. Apart from that nothing, can stand 2m directly infront of the ref, moon him before you sprint off way too early and attack at someones legs while they attemp a FG and it will be all sweet, maybe even give him a nice elbow to the face after he has missed it or couldn't get a kick away

GW.

Juniors
Easy fix - get rid of golden point.

GW here,
and it is really that simple.

The golden point is a farce. I knew it as a youngster when it first came in, and know it more now.

It should just be 5 minutes each way?

more excitement that way if a team has two minutes to scramble whilst being dead on their feet.

At the very least, very least, make it golden try.

However, too much is centred on the coin toss, its tipped to the receivers favour.

TheFrog

Coach
As a warriors supporter, I have become an expert on Golden Point (GP) matches.

The warriors have lost a few of these GP matches because, unlike their opposition, they have not pushed the rules as much as the opposition and they have tried to play like you would normally play in the 80 minutes. The refs seem absolutely reluctant to issue penalties. And this is just not right.

Against Penriff, the Warriors should have got a blatant marker error penalty right under the posts (Latu). It was about as bad as I have ever seen not to be penalised. This was just ridiculous. I'm whinging now as we won, nobody listens when you lose.

Penriff were blatantly offside on heaps of other plays and there was no response from the refs? Why? Surely the rules are not suddenly abandoned in GP?

Every word you say is true. But what you don't say is that the Warriors were equally guilty of breaking the rules in extra time. Both sides knew the whistle was not going to be blown, so the 10 metres was ignored by both sides, markers were never square, tackled players were unable to get a quick play the ball, on both sides, not just the one.

It really should have been a draw. Both sides deserved a point over the 80 minutes. Extra time in normal season matches should be canned.

This happens in most GP games. The refs have a fear of blowing for a penalty purely because if they're wrong the spotlight will be squarely on them. They need to harden up and make a decision, I agree.

The silly part is that the refs could blow a penalty on just about every play the ball within field goal range during golden point and the penalty would be correct and warranted. It's at that stage now where anyone and everyone who still has the energy left at that stage in the game chases early. Thats if they've even made the effort to make the 10 at all.

Honestly, at that point in most games, the 10 metre rule looks more like we've gone back to the 5 metre rule again. Some of the rucks I've seen lately are closer to rugby union than league.

It's an out and out joke.

Valheru

Coach
lol @ the notion that the warriors are playing by the rules in GP and no one else is. I can't remember if it was GP or close to the end of the game but remember when they had a wall if players in front of the play the ball in an attempt to block roosters chasers a couple years back?

Anyways, all teams blatantly break the rules in GP. I remember the roosters/wests 2010 semi, both sides were at least 3m offside for every tackle of extra time.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
My issue with GP has nothing to do with any injustices done to my side. It's just an absolute shitfest that isn't exciting at all. I've now experienced wins, losses and draws in GP and none particularly leave me feeling more excited or satisfied with the product than it would if it was 1 point each.

Finals, no problem. Regular season, f**k right off with GP. And in the mean time, show some nuts referees. I saw that there were three markers as clear as day on Saturday night, and I haven't got half the view the refs have. It was always coming yet they missed it. And yes, the Warriors and every other side in the comp are offside throughout GP.

nick87

Coach
One of many reasons i hate golden point
it's an ugly form of our game and it's refereed appallingly.

Have never, and will never understand why a draw in regular season is not ok. Frankly i've enjoyed having a draw this year, it's broken the table up a bit more. We managed to get by with draws for 100 f**king years before, i dont see why we ever needed to get rid of them

Draws in regular season
10 minutes each way extra time in finals and rep games (followed by another period of 5 each way if required, and 5 again, and again, and again until a winner is crowned)

Perth Red

Post Whore
When we make our game rely on field goals like union you know we made a sht call on extra time!

moffla

Bench
only GP i can remember being won by a penalty kick off the top of my head was funnily enough against the warriors back in 04/05 me thinks. Only because monty betham tried to remove someones head and really couldn't be ingored. Apart from that nothing, can stand 2m directly infront of the ref, moon him before you sprint off way too early and attack at someones legs while they attemp a FG and it will be all sweet, maybe even give him a nice elbow to the face after he has missed it or couldn't get a kick away

Most recent was Bulldogs vs Manly in 2013. Foran arked up at the ref and the penalty was marched 10, thus making it kicking distance iirc

GW.

Juniors
When we make our game rely on field goals like union you know we made a sht call on extra time!

As sarcastic/slanderous as you are being, theres some validity in what you say, league is a game developed to differentiate itself from Rugby Union.

Tommy Smith

Referee
There are two other options the NRL can adopt if they insist on persisting with GP.

1. Just make it 10min extra time (5min each way). It doesn't have to be golden point! That'd free up the refs to blow the damn whistle and you wouldn't necessarily have teams offside every tackle and desperate to take an awful field goal attempt every tackle.

2. Make any penalty an indirect penalty. So if there's an infringement, blow a penalty but you can't take a penalty goal. And if a team is clearly abusing the rule by committing professional fouls then send someone to the bin. I doubt that would happen much because you want the ball back.

Both better than the current shit we have to endure.

Latest posts