What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 21 vs Sea Eagles @ Brookvale Oval

Who will win? Round 21: Sea Eagles v Knights

• Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles 1-12

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

• Newcastle Knights 1-12

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

K-Man

Bench
You must not watch many Titans games. He is still shit. Just has Ash Taylor to cover for his shitness.

As bad as Trent Hodkinson? You're joking.

Tyrone is not my favourite player, I don't think he's an absolute gun. I mention him because he's the best direct comparison between what we have now and what we had before / could have kept. For 60% of the salary Roberts is a better footballer than Hodkinson, not to mention younger and with more potential growth.

There's no point discussing genuinely elite players because they will not come here. I rule out the top echelon from my mind and focus on the types of players we actually have some chance with. Unfortunately, that means we have to be smarter, and in ideal world I think we keep Tyrone or buy Taylor before we spend big on Hodkinson.

There is absolutely no way Hodko has even looked like a first grader this year. He has contributed nothing whatsoever to our team. Nothing. I can at least go and show you some Tyrone Roberts highlights. Hodko's highlights are catching the football.

K-Man

Bench
I was really fond of Tyrone in 2013-2014, he wasn't a star but there was just something about him. Going into the 2015 season I thought that it would have been the year that he stepped it up a gear, that wasn't to be. I think we all realised that he wasn't very good, not only that but the genius' that is Bennet/Hages/Stone signed him up for 400k, which is a lot more then he's worth.

I must admit I had a hard on for the Hodkinson signing when it was rumoured and announced like a lot of other Knights fans. I guess at that point in time we were really really sick of Tyrone and we just wanted some good news and wanted to see some sort of vision from the club. Oh boy how we were wrong. Tyrone, for all his faults, actually won us a few matches off his own bat. I can remember 3-4 times in his career he single handedly won us games. Whilst his other 90 odd games with the club ranged from average to terrible, the match winning performances are something we won't see from Hokko. Hodkinson is just plodding along with performances not any better then what Tyrone would be dishing up, and without the occasional match winning performance, whilst on twice the money (while we pay the Titans for Tyrone to play against us). Not only that but Tyrone is younger and still has time to get better, he could be a Ben Hunt type late bloomer, we just don't know. He can also play dummy half and IMO could be a better hooker then halfback if he was tried there. Hodkinson's career has already peaked. He's as good as he's ever gonna get and currently he can't run, kick, or pass as good as any of the other halves in the competition. And we're stuck with our 'courageous captain' for 2 more years after this one...

If you lined up all the starting #7s in the comp right now, I would put Hodkinson dead last. Same goes for our fullback.

Thats not to say I would want Tyrone here right now, just agreeing with the point that Hodkinson is so bad that he makes Tyrone look good.

Exactly. You don't have to rate Tyrone to see make the point that Hodkinson has been a massive disaster for us. We honestly looked better when Tyrone was rocks and diamonds out there, doing some dumb things but occasional good things too. I mean I wouldn't even buy him back now, that's not what I'm saying, I'm just saying i wish we were still 'stuck' with him compared to who we're actually stuck with.

Whats Doing

Bench
Having seen Tyrone play all of his home games with the Titans, he has improved his consistency somewhat from his time at the Knights but he is still at the lower end of the NRL halves. He wont be in the halves next year at the Titans with Taylor and Elgey being a shoo-in as the halves pairing, I would say he will be in the Titans 17 but as a benchie for the hooker.

Whilst it was right to move Roberts on with his $400k salary as he is no where near worth it, he is well above Hodgkinson in terms of ability. In fact I would have Cameron Cullen over Hodkinson (and he would be lucky to cost $100k) but he shows so much ticker that Hodkinson doesn't possess.

Whoever was the decision maker at the Knights to bring in Hodgkinson should be sacked immediately.

Pedge1971

First Grade
Having seen Tyrone play all of his home games with the Titans, he has improved his consistency somewhat from his time at the Knights but he is still at the lower end of the NRL halves. He wont be in the halves next year at the Titans with Taylor and Elgey being a shoo-in as the halves pairing, I would say he will be in the Titans 17 but as a benchie for the hooker.

Whilst it was right to move Roberts on with his $400k salary as he is no where near worth it, he is well above Hodgkinson in terms of ability. In fact I would have Cameron Cullen over Hodkinson (and he would be lucky to cost $100k) but he shows so much ticker that Hodkinson doesn't possess.

Whoever was the decision maker at the Knights to bring in Hodkinson should be sacked immediately.

Look around here 12 months ago and everyone was about how good it was to be rid of Roberts and Hodko was gonna come in and save us (a few sceptics acknowledged but consensus). Lets cut the BS.

Roberts is in a paring that is combining overall this season better than us, Broncos, Saints, Roosters,Souffs, and arguably (IMO) Raiders, Dogs, Tigpies (Farah clause), Warriors.

So argue better forward pack (remember Tits were spoon favourites) and all that stuff about Tyrone being shit. If he is so shit, why does a coach like Neil Henry still pick him?

We made a mistake with him both in price and release for Hodko.....give the guy credit. If he nails it in the finals this year (where he will be not us) then who knows if Elgey has a job next year. It is pretty transient.

Whats Doing

Bench
Mate, where did I say he was "shit" so get your facts right. I said he has improved his consistency but is in the lower end of the NRL halves.

He is picked by Henry because of circumstances. The Titans had DCE, then lost him so they picked up Roberts to partner Elgey. They then picked up Taylor as backup but lost Elgey for the year through injury. So the pairing is now Taylor and Roberts so thats why Henry has picked him.

Who knows who would be the halves for the Titans this year if Elgey was fit, but Elgey is the number one half at the club and rightly so and Taylor has been playing better than Roberts this year.

newyboy

Juniors
No you won't.

It wouldn't be hard,

I have been around Gyms and Hi performance centres for 30 years and I have not seen one Knights player who I would rate as having any athletic ability.

You can't teach a half back, Full back or hooker how to play regardless of how athletic they are. But every other position can be done far better with an athlete as a basis.

I have seen people do things that would make your head spin and they are just backyard hacks who are natural athletes.

TooheysNew

Coach
It wouldn't be hard,

I have been around Gyms and Hi performance centres for 30 years and I have not seen one Knights player who I would rate as having any athletic ability.

You can't teach a half back, Full back or hooker how to play regardless of how athletic they are. But every other position can be done far better with an athlete as a basis.

I have seen people do things that would make your head spin and they are just backyard hacks who are natural athletes.
Haha righto.

Pedge1971

First Grade
Mate, where did I say he was "shit" so get your facts right. I said he has improved his consistency but is in the lower end of the NRL halves.

He is picked by Henry because of circumstances. The Titans had DCE, then lost him so they picked up Roberts to partner Elgey. They then picked up Taylor as backup but lost Elgey for the year through injury. So the pairing is now Taylor and Roberts so thats why Henry has picked him.

Who knows who would be the halves for the Titans this year if Elgey was fit, but Elgey is the number one half at the club and rightly so and Taylor has been playing better than Roberts this year.

Message was to the general forum mate not directly at you. Though as I replied your post I can see why you read it that way. No harm done.

Latest posts