What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hayne signs with Gold Coast

I can see the purpose for amateur clubs. But what purpose does it serve in the NRL?
They're all connected. Players move between NRL clubs and non NRL clubs. If the NRL decided NRL clubs should be exempt they could change the rule, like they have with the registration rules, but they haven't. They created a supposedly consistent policy only two years ago and didn't differentiate between levels of the game.

Yes he is. He previously played for Parra. Now he's playing for GC. That's moving clubs. Contracts are irrelevant. I've only said this about a hundred times now.

Aus_Dog

Juniors
I still fail to see why this is such a big deal for you ECT

It's good for the game and good for the Titans. FFS I think you really need to let it go, you aren't going to change anything

no name

Coach
Technically he is changing clubs.
Players need a clearance from their last club whether it was this year, last year or 20 years ago.
I doubt that everyone knows the ins and outs of Hayne's contract so not sure if the rule applies or has been broken.
Maybe the NRL has dodged it up to get him back, maybe they haven't.
Unless the minute details of the deal are made public, everyone is just guessing.

Why would his contract or some "deal" negate the need for a clearance? It's the national policy. The only answer is that the NRL have just unilaterally decided they will ignore the rule on a whim because they want Hayne to play for the Titans this weekend.

thorson1987

Coach
Players need a clearance from their last club whether it was this year, last year or 20 years ago.
I doubt that everyone knows the ins and outs of Hayne's contract so not sure if the rule applies or has been broken.
Unless the minute details of the deal are made public, everyone is just guessing.

Governing bodies have the option to allow special considerations to grant a clearance after June 30.

It's how Mark O'Meley is allowed to play for several clubs as one offs for charity.

_Johnsy

Referee
Yes he is. He previously played for Parra. Now he's playing for GC. That's moving clubs. Contracts are irrelevant. I've only said this about a hundred times now.
Surely your taking the piss.

So if SBW or Falou come back to the NRL they're moving clubs? FMD

Last edited:

_Johnsy

Referee
Not if a players see's out his contract and then doesn't play for 3 years. The NRL must ratify & register his contract but they do not need NRL or the previous club's "clearance" to play in the NRL again at any time in the future once a contract is complete or the players is mutually released from his contractual obligations.

coolsteve

Juniors
if Hayne got an automatic clearance to play for the broncos or storm,i`m sure we`d all be spewing .ffs , give the Titans a go, they`ve battled enough over the years. now for the Knights

Not if a players see's out his contract and then doesn't play for 3 years. The NRL must ratify & register his contract but they do not need NRL or the previous club's "clearance" to play in the NRL again at any time in the future once a contract is complete or the players is mutually released from his contractual obligations.
You have no f**king idea. And you've been shown up by people who do. You keep talking about contracts as if they have any bearing on this rule. Which just further proves you have nfi.

Someone

Bench
It's got NOTHING to do with the salary cap.

I'm sure Titans are well under after DCE screwed them, it's about sticking to rules that have been in vogue for forever.

If it was the Broncos that signed him because they got 3 3rd party deals & got a spare $100k in the cap, is that ok? Well it bloody well will be now....

Not ever.

Now the can of worms has been opened, what is to stop a rich club signing guest players for semis? Has the time honoured June 30 date been moved to August 30?

mate as already stated the nrl made special discretion, its quite obvious hayne will be at the titans for 2016 an 2017. so he isnt just dropping in to make a quick finals appearance then leaving.

i stick by what i said and my argument. no one gave a shit that this spirited gold coast team was so far under for most of the year, now they are doing well and have added hayne people are in tears. tell me, if the titans were running 15th would you have cared?

the game wanted hayne, the titans needed a big name player, the competition has just been shaken up. the only people complaining are bitter rival supporters.

if the 'RULES' stop a team under the cap by 1 million dollars from adding a superstar to their roster under special circumstances like this, than the 'RULES' are f**king stupid. common sense actually prevailed here.

Someone

Bench
Obviously you need a clearance to play. But if you were allowed to get one any time the policy would not even have any kind of timeframe in it. It would just say, the player must be cleared.

And even if it was true that after June 30 constitutes a new season, somehow, this is not a new season. It's the same season. But that's not what it's about anyway.

did sonny bill Williams get clearance from the dogs?

SBD82

Coach
They're all connected. Players move between NRL clubs and non NRL clubs. If the NRL decided NRL clubs should be exempt they could change the rule, like they have with the registration rules, but they haven't. They created a supposedly consistent policy only two years ago and didn't differentiate between levels of the game.
If that's the case they made an awful rule and it's good to see that sanity has prevailed.

If that's the case they made an awful rule and it's good to see that sanity has prevailed.
Hey, if people are okay to have the governing body pick and choose when and if it applies its own rules, that's fine. But be careful what you wish for.

BM1979

Juniors

If you read the player registration form it clearly shows you are wrong.