What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2016 Match Review Committee / Judiciary

Burwood

Bench
This is just the most recent example of a game that has lost the plot. Even small and seemingly innocuous changes have taken the joy out of the game. I was an avid fan, going to games where Sharks weren't playing when I could because I genuinely loved the game. If it weren't for the Sharks, I wouldn't be following the game anymore to be honest.

Here is a small list of changes the game has made to make it less enjoyable (and yes, it's going beyond the MRC and Judiciary so probably slightly off topic):
  • Inconsistent MRC and Judiciary rulings - Coote gets off touching referee charge, Frizzell doesn't. Thurston and Smith don't even get charged.
  • Incomprehensible prioritisation of MRC - Brushing a referee is now on equal pegging as a swinging arm to the head of a player. These are both considered worse than tripping - even by a repeat offender. Don't you even dare shoulder charge (even without contact to the head) because you'll be sitting for a while.
  • Lack of sin bins and send offs - Tripping, swinging arms, etc. were normally a send off offence, but now the game seems scared to do it. The game is grubbier now than in the 'bad old days'. But the game focuses on brushing a referee?
  • Treating players like under 6s - They move off the mark, they get told to take it back even if it is due to them crawling forward. They pass the ball long after held is called, they get given the ball back to play it. These a professionals in this sport, and we treat them like they are new to the game.
  • Video Ref/Bunker - Most people knew the Bunker wouldn't resolve the key issue, which was personnel adjudicating, not the room they were in. We've let the video referee get so involved that it slows the game, confuses fans about interpretations, and just takes the joy out of celebrating a try. Personally, I can deal with mistakes made by the onfield referee (yes, even if it were to cost a grand final), because the dynamics of the game isn't lost. History of our game is littered with Tales about the Grasshopper and Hartley being cheats, etc. but they are great characters of the game.
  • Banning the shoulder charge - there was no need for this. Rugby League is a contact sport. There are risks. These risks are well known, and any further knowledge about the game should be passed onto players. The hysteria of potential lawsuits that lead to the banning of the shoulder charge was based on a poor understanding of the difference in US and Australian legal systems, and what the NFL was being sued for.
  • Introduction of 'dominant' tackles - This just gave an excuse for players to lay in the ruck. The amount of times I see players make a tackle and then lay on top looking to the referee to see when they need to get off is ridiculous. Make the tackle, get up. Any extra work (i.e. grappling/wrestling), it's a penalty. Of course the more in the tackle, the longer it will take to get up - but if they are working to get up, it's not an issue)
  • Two referees - has anyone noticed any benefit to this? One referee is able to referee the game to the same standard, as we can see during tests. All it does is put 8 extra referees in the centre which reduces competition for top line spots - and we wonder why the standard has dropped?
  • Annual coaches summit - Seems like a good idea to change the rules every year because the coaches want them. They seem like people who would be more concerned with the standard of the game rather than giving their team any edge to ensure they keep their jobs. The game constantly fixes issues that don't need to be fixed, and just muddies the waters of what should be clear rules.
/rant.
Add to your list all of the push and shove that has become prevalent in our game since Gallen decked Myles in origin a few years back. Players slapping other players. Players grabbing the jersey to give a few sneaky whacks in the face without technically throwing a punch. All the open handed pushing in the face etc. Jack Bird ran 20m the other night to charge in and push a Titans player to the ground. Nothing happened.

Frailty

First Grade
Looks like the NRL has declared open season on leg twists now.

What a joke.

Except there was no twist.

Sharks were very smart in their defence having a physiologist demonstrating how the knee was never moved or twisted outside it's normal plane of movement, also noting both referees, and video referee had good views of the incident and found no foul play.

Prosecution's argument was - he was careless, he twisted to the left, and Hurrell looked in pain.

If someone had twisted my leg, I wouldn't be laughing and hugging them after the game.

Frailty

First Grade
Add to your list all of the push and shove that has become prevalent in our game since Gallen decked Myles in origin a few years back. Players slapping other players. Players grabbing the jersey to give a few sneaky whacks in the face without technically throwing a punch. All the open handed pushing in the face etc. Jack Bird ran 20m the other night to charge in and push a Titans player to the ground. Nothing happened.

Yep. I was happy to see Gal come out and publicly point out what Jack Bird did. It's pathetic these little push and shoving matches. I'm not necessarily advocating punching, but the idea of the punch and you're in the bin but open hand slap and you're free to stay on, is absolutely ridiculous.

carcharias

Immortal
Greg bird threw a few jabs
Luke Douglas pretty much only tackled around the eyes
meh
Tackle around the ankles and you face the MRC.
Good rules

Leber

Bench
26027ad2901c85cb08fb1816b1aa368a

Has there been an official report as to why this contact was deemed ok?

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
It's possible it wasn't "deemed ok" but just missed by the MRC

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Momentum carried Smith into the referee, no penalty :p

POPEYE

Coach
Marvellous what you can come up with when a bloke is wearing a colour you don't like, especially when you'd like to see him in another . . . Smith included

Jason Maher

Immortal
Marvelous how the Melbourne, Queensland, and Australian captain doesn't even get cited for what a young Dragons and Blues second rower gets suspended for.

Hawkins

Juniors
Marvelous how the Melbourne, Queensland, and Australian captain doesn't even get cited for what a young Dragons and Blues second rower gets suspended for.

Isn't smith on a rules panel for the NRL? I think they might be scared of him.

Hawkins

Juniors
Did I hear the new correct, is Blair on report from the Dragons game? What did he do wrong?

St Tangles

Bench
Blair shouldn't have a case to answer.
Matthews slipped pretty far.
I'm interested if anything comes from Glenn puting his hand on the ref.