What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

McGregor. One of the boys?

Tuddy

Juniors
So I noticed that McGregor accidentally referred to himself as a player rather than the coach when he was making his 'not perfect but real' speech. This got me thinking that maybe this is the guys biggest issue. Maybe he hasn't mentally switched over to being a coach and he still sees himself as one of the boys/players.

It would explain why he has issues dropping players and it would also explain why we've only seen the juniors get a run when injuries have given him no other choice. If you still see yourself as part of the team, you're going to have issues drawing that line between you and them, because effectively there isn't a line at all. That makes it really hard to cut someone when they are consistently under performing.

It may also explain the support he's been shown recently by players, they're far more likely to do this if they see him as one of their own. Sure it creates loyalty, but I'm pretty sure they're loyal to Bellamy down there in Mexico and I'd be shocked if this was an issue with that guy.

Looking at some of the other coaches like Hasler and Toovey, you'd have to say they've made the adjustment far better and some would argue they've been more successful as a result.

watatank

Coach
There's probably an element of that...his previous job appointments point to that. Returning to the club a season after retiring as strength and conditioning trainer, all those positions with the NSW team. After Bennett brought his own staff in, McGregor didn't take a position at another club, he tried his hand at head coaching, won a few local A-Grade comps and used that to work his way back to the NRL via the NSW Cup team.

That all said, I just think the main issue is that he just isn't good enough to be a head coach and whatever he has in place is wearing thin.

Bench
He doesn't have the respect of the players, including the captain, that is obvious by the post match interview and the players going public about how they like him as a coach, that in itself thinks there is major disharmony in the club

Tuddy

Juniors
Yep.I think I was off the mark there where I said that was his biggest issue. I stand corrected.

Latest posts