What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Get Lolohea Off

ozenzud

Juniors
Out of his depth. His mistakes have single handed derailed the season. Cappy was right. He is not up to it.

vvvrulz

Coach
I couldn't find the thread, but I think it was Big Marn somewhere who was questioning if Tui is really that good to begin with.

After today's display there might be some credence to that. Talent is there sure, lots of pace, slick passing, good eye for a gap. But has he ever really done massive wonders for us? It's not fair he got thrown around everywhere, I'll grant him that, but his stint at 6 last year was terrible and that's his supposed favoured position. He's had moderate but hardly game breaking success everywhere else, with some terrible defensive frailties. Leuluai is similarly limited, but I'll take a defensive half with no attack over an attacking half with no defense. SJ, RTS, Kata, Ayshford and Fus easily win their spots.

What to do with Tui has been the golden question for an age, but now I'm truly wondering is he really *that* good? Bench utility is starting to become the only thing I can think of (of course he should actually get on the park if so...), and if not that, then perhaps we're wasting our time.

Rich102

Staff member
That's the question Crappy should have asked in the first place.
He had seen Lolohea play in multiple positions, in fact he picked him in multiple positions. He didn't make any his own; which is why he was on the bench.
Fusitua was playing very well at fullback, to replace him with Lolohea was stupid.
This attitude of moving one player so another player can be fit into the mix is crazy.
Who plays best at fullback? That is the only question that should be asked.
Ayshford was playing solidly. To fit Tui into the team the changes weakened the team. No gain; real loss.

Reactions: JJ

Meth

Staff member
Lolohea should still be on the wing. Why we're so desperate to accomodate Maumalo is beyond me

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
I didn't see the game last night but sounds like he had a shocker

Is there a point coming where for the sake of his career he needs to get away from McFadden ? Not as drastic a case as hurrells but fear it could head that way

JJ

Immortal
We have quite a few players who are talented, but actually aren't anywhere near as good as the media suggest they are... Lolohea is one, but he's not alone

McFadden has f**ked him over royally though, the suggestion he was right is funny - given he's had about 6 different opinions on where and how the kid should be used

Blair

Coach
I'd like to see where a premiership-winning coach from the last ten years or so - Sheens, Maguire, Bellamy, Bennett, et al - would play Lolohea?

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
I'd like to see where a premiership-winning coach from the last ten years or so - Sheens, Maguire, Bellamy, Bennett, et al - would play Lolohea?
We could only guess but I know those coaches are more accomplished than Cappy. My guess is they'd play him at 6.

ozbash

Referee

He'd end up a superstar..

His confidence is shot. I really hope the kid leaves and gets on with his career.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I couldn't find the thread, but I think it was Big Marn somewhere who was questioning if Tui is really that good to begin with.

After today's display there might be some credence to that. Talent is there sure, lots of pace, slick passing, good eye for a gap. But has he ever really done massive wonders for us? It's not fair he got thrown around everywhere, I'll grant him that, but his stint at 6 last year was terrible and that's his supposed favoured position. He's had moderate but hardly game breaking success everywhere else, with some terrible defensive frailties. Leuluai is similarly limited, but I'll take a defensive half with no attack over an attacking half with no defense. SJ, RTS, Kata, Ayshford and Fus easily win their spots.

What to do with Tui has been the golden question for an age, but now I'm truly wondering is he really *that* good? Bench utility is starting to become the only thing I can think of (of course he should actually get on the park if so...), and if not that, then perhaps we're wasting our time.

The example I will give you is Solomone Kata. Kata stunk last year for long periods (and hey it was his rookie season, no huge slight on him). Defensive frailties like you wouldn't believe. Me, others, maybe you I'm not sure, advocated him being dropped last year and he probably should've been. He wasn't, and he is an absolute superstar for the faith and solidarity in position given to him.

Tui will probably have a new coach next year. He needs to be given a position in pre-season, and allowed to stick to it. I'm not sure which one because I don't know who will be here and I'm not an expert in league. I just know it's insanity to bounce a guy around positions then wonder why he hasn't found consistent form.

vvvrulz

Coach
The example I will give you is Solomone Kata. Kata stunk last year for long periods (and hey it was his rookie season, no huge slight on him). Defensive frailties like you wouldn't believe. Me, others, maybe you I'm not sure, advocated him being dropped last year and he probably should've been. He wasn't, and he is an absolute superstar for the faith and solidarity in position given to him.

Tui will probably have a new coach next year. He needs to be given a position in pre-season, and allowed to stick to it. I'm not sure which one because I don't know who will be here and I'm not an expert in league. I just know it's insanity to bounce a guy around positions then wonder why he hasn't found consistent form.

Both Kata and Fusitua all into that category, plenty of holes that got patched up dramatically and now they are two of our best players. You're right in that they were given the time and space to work on their games.

But, Lolohea has played a lot of NRL by now. Not in a consistent and ideal manner, but he's been there and seen a lot of games. That "effort" last night was a rookie performance, his positioning was beyond abysmal, it looks like he hasn't figured it out even in the slightest.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade

ESPECIALLY when he's told us he's had no real experience anywhere else other than the halves. He's LEARNING to become an outside back at first grade level!

Like I said earlier in the year, Tui wasn't good LAST YEAR in 2015, pretty much his rookie year. Now he's had more first grade experience in 2016, try him at 6 now. Katas good now, same could happen for Tui.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Both Kata and Fusitua all into that category, plenty of holes that got patched up dramatically and now they are two of our best players. You're right in that they were given the time and space to work on their games.

But, Lolohea has played a lot of NRL by now. Not in a consistent and ideal manner, but he's been there and seen a lot of games. That "effort" last night was a rookie performance, his positioning was beyond abysmal, it looks like he hasn't figured it out even in the slightest.

Yeah hey I hear you, his positioning was crap and he's played a lot of games there. Do you think it would be better than it is if he'd not been given that stupid spell on the bench then brought back to the same spot while the coaches assured us 'he's gone away and improved and shown us the ability to claim his spot back' whilst playing minuscule time off the bench then on the wing? I think it would be better. But I could be wrong.

You could absolutely be right that he's overhyped and doesn't deserve a spot (if that's what you're saying). What I'm saying is we haven't had the right chance to find out. I think a decent coach would've afforded him that, and then if he hadn't taken his chances we'd all be able to say oh well, you need to get better pal. At the moment I can't bring myself to criticise him.

Now that SJ is becoming the structured, controlling half (I know he wasn't last night but his forward pack was monstered), maybe Tui/SJ will work. f**k me, if that's what is decided and all our management have said so, then bloody well give him until the first bye in 2017 at least to work it out. Not 4-5 weeks then baby out with the bath water crap.

Big Marn

Juniors
lets remember RTS was supposed to be the fb this year. So Tui has been a stopgap measure that hasnt really worked if you look at it from a season point of view rather than game by game.
Robson and TL were the nominated 6's at start of year. Robbo got found out but TL has been solid enough to keep his spot. And wasnt Tui supposed to have one of the centre positions to make his own? Then Ayshford usurped him because of bad D. So where does he fit in the team? Wing seems his last option.

vvvrulz

Coach
You could absolutely be right that he's overhyped and doesn't deserve a spot (if that's what you're saying). What I'm saying is we haven't had the right chance to find out. I think a decent coach would've afforded him that, and then if he hadn't taken his chances we'd all be able to say oh well, you need to get better pal. At the moment I can't bring myself to criticise him.

I don't know if I'm right, I was merely putting it out there because for the first time the thought really struck my mind. I agree, we haven't found out for sure, but now the possibility is there that he's just not an amazing player after all. When has he really dominated a particular position and owned it, he's won lots of accolades for being a good stop gap measure but he isn't, imo, demanding a place in the 13 anymore after last night.

100% agree he'd be doing better with proper coaching, should never ever have been fullback once Fusitua sorted himself out. His only spots are 6, where we should have bitten the bullet with Leulaui (rightly or wrongly), or wing where he's limited but miles better than Maumalo.

RTS is interesting, I don't even know if he's necessarily better than Fusitua, which is how impressive Fus has been. RTS was found wanting at times on cover defence, and we might get more out of him on the wing next to a centre that feeds him. Either way Fus and RTS take wing and FB, we have two good centres, so for Lolohea is learn to play 6 or impact sub, or be gone to be honest.

Latest posts