What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

IFR33K

Coach
How is that any different to running from dummy half like a mad merkin?

Huge difference. Normally a dummy half will pick and choose when to run. On most occasions this is when either he's received a quick play the ball, markers aren't square or the defensive line isn't set. Could even be a combination of the three.

As opposed to running one or two off the ruck, where the defensive line is set and ready for the ball carrier.

Happy MEel

First Grade
Huge difference. Normally a dummy half will pick and choose when to run. On most occasions this is when either he's received a quick play the ball, markers aren't square or the defensive line isn't set. Could even be a combination of the three.

As opposed to running one or two off the ruck, where the defensive line is set and ready for the ball carrier.
I was going to respond to Pou's post but instead I'll say:

x2 - isn't this obvious?

Noise

Coach
How is that any different to running from dummy half like a mad merkin?

At dummy half you are much more selective (and run less) and can choose when to run ie. when markers are slow or the A defender is out of position. As a hitup merchant you get far less opportunity to be selective in your runs.

Edit: ifreek got in first

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
He does tend to only run after someone else has made a dent. Like I said, it's no different to running from dummy half except he is clear of the markers when he gets the ball. Do any of you merkins remember seeing him take the first run off a tap?

His low frequency of runs support the fact he's not a battering ram.

IFR33K

Coach
He does tend to only run after someone else has made a dent. Like I said, it's no different to running from dummy half except he is clear of the markers when he gets the ball. Do any of you merkins remember seeing him take the first run off a tap?

His low frequency of runs support the fact he's not a battering ram.

His frequency of runs has no bearing on how he's being played; straight and hard into opposition forwards which is a battering ram.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
It has every bearing because it shows the situations in which he receives the ball. I'm telling you he rarely runs at a set defensive line.

Champion Data separates a player's runs into different types, including dummy half runs and hit ups. In his three games since coming back from injury he has made 15 runs, only two of which were classed as hit ups by the stat provider.

strider

Post Whore
It has every bearing because it shows the situations in which he receives the ball. I'm telling you he rarely runs at a set defensive line.

Champion Data separates a player's runs into different types, including dummy half runs and hit ups. In his three games since coming back from injury he has made 15 runs, only two of which were classed as hit ups by the stat provider.

Maybe the stats provider has a psychological mindset that only big mofos make hitups??

What do they class his runs as?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I agree the distinction can be a bit subjective, but so can fans. I certainly remember Pritchard making the odd hit up and getting absolutely smashed, but I also think those runs are very rare and outside the gameplan, and intended (by Pritchard) to inspire/embarrass our forwards.

For what it's worth, Champion Data classes most of Pritchard's runs as 'normal runs'.

natheel

Coach
We should look at one of the raiders back up hookers or even manlys.

Baptiste or Parcell would be good pick ups and probably wouldn't be expensive. I mention Parcell as Luke Walsh has signed with Manly from reports. Can't see him getting a run in the halve worth Cherry and Green there

The Engineers Room

First Grade

Maybe we don't always run one out and they won't be ready for the ball runner as much?

Happy MEel

First Grade
I certainly remember Pritchard making the odd hit up and getting absolutely smashed, but I also think those runs are very rare and outside the gameplan, and intended (by Pritchard) to inspire/embarrass our forwards.
That's probably not too far from the truth. But I certainly don't want our only hooker we currently have on the books for next year, who happens to be one of the smallest on the field and is seemingly made of glass, having to do that. He's less likely to diverge from the gameplan if he's at hooker.

Last edited:

MrT

Juniors
Why wouldn't we try and entice Peats back?
because he was dirty he was put in that position. Hindsights a wonderful thing but who knew Foran would be an absolute basketcase. Had we kept Peats and re-signed him long term, we would have just been in need of a 7. Now it's a lot more complicated. I hope they make the right decisions from here