What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

Noname36

First Grade
Seeing us conceded 4 tries right up the middle yesterday suggests a guy like Fensom is exactly what we need

I admit I didn't see yesterday's game however looking at the year in general I don't think individual tackling technique of the blokes playingg lock is our main problem - but rather an inability to defend together as a team. Again I'd be happy with signing Fensom but unless he's willing to take a pay cut to come to a shitter team we're looking at 500k+ for a guy that's still going to struggling defending in this team and he doesn't offer anything else. The Raiders have had some shocking defence this year with Fensom being a part of the team remember...and ours is much worse.

Then again I'm not crazy about the Bird rumours either and if they're our only realistic chances I'd probably prefer Fensom.

What a shitty spot we're in.

Last edited:

nick87

Coach
Fensom is a great player in a bad team. He's exactly what the knights need. Not long term but short term he's the type of guy who can help move you from being embarrassments to at least semi competent.

I've got no f**king idea why Vaughan is on the outer, he's a SOO level front rower when he's in form. Any team would be lucky to have him. I'd be furious at Stuart over this if he hadn't banked so much good will. He's earned the right to do with the roster as he pleases.

Unfortunately for you guys i think Vaughan is going to wind up at the Sharks.

Knight76

Juniors
We can't survive next year with zero new signings with all the players we have let go and retired. Not a lot of options rumored so far to be signings for us, so hoping the club is negotiating behind the scenes with some players and announcements will be forthcoming.

Forwards is what we need to be signing though. Big, experienced, forwards with offloading potential. One of the things that stifles our attack is we rarely ever get the offload away in tackles to get the second phase play going.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
We can't survive next year with zero new signings with all the players we have let go and retired. Not a lot of options rumored so far to be signings for us, so hoping the club is negotiating behind the scenes with some players and announcements will be forthcoming.

Forwards is what we need to be signing though. Big, experienced, forwards with offloading potential. One of the things that stifles our attack is we rarely ever get the offload away in tackles to get the second phase play going.

I disagree, I don't think offloads have been our problem in the second half of this year. Barnett, Sione, Mataora and D.Saifiti have all shown they can offload in the tackle, plus our outside backs have been offloading at will recently.

Problem is its usually in-effective because no one is running onto the offload, our players receive the ball flat footed and either get driven back or are forced to run sideways. Brown should be coaching them to always support the guy with the ball, we should always have a guy making a run into space when an offloading opportunity is there.

I agree that we need forwards though, guys who can control the ruck. We've conceded so many points on the edges this year because our middle defence is being dominated which forces the edge defenders to compress which leaves space out wide. We need guys who are tough and uncompromising (especially now that Smith is about to retire) and who can stop a ball-runner in his tracks one on one and prevent the opposition getting a quick play the ball.

Spot On

Coach
Would Sean Fensom really command 500K?????

FFS.

I know this club has made millionaires out of plenty but surely no club is paying him that much.

Knight76

Juniors
Barnett certainly, but I'm only commenting on what I see. Our defense seems to have great difficulty locking up the ball in tackles a lot of the time, yet our forwards don't seem to be able to get the arms free and get the offload away.

Granted our support runners are nowhere to be seen a lot of the time. Even Sims got in to a good position and looked to get ball away yesterday but nobody there to catch it.

I wasn't counting outside backs, just the forwards and what I think we should be targeting.

nick87

Coach

FFS.

I know this club has made millionaires out of plenty but surely no club is paying him that much.

When we re-signed him, we were absolutely dreadful on the park, run like an old boys club off it, couldn't attract talent at all, and had sacked 3-4 stars in a matter of years

The idea of a 25 year old workhorse who played his guts out and was a consummate professional off the park was a godsend. He's going to have to take a significant pay cut next contact, ideally I'd like to keep him on a much smaller deal, he's a good 18th-19th man squad player but I also recognise there is half a dozen packs in the league he walks into

So it's hard to Imagine he's going to take a huge pay cut to play reggies for us

Knight76

Juniors
Scary that we still need to let people go to have any money.

It's sad, I can't imagine the look on Browny's face when they showed him the books and he got a real understanding of the challenge he had accepted. He was probably thinking how on earth can a club get themselves in to this position?

Apey

Staff member
Michael-Hagan-6310011.jpg

Pete Cash

Post Whore

FFS.

You support the knights and you are surprised a club would over pay a local of some talent because nobody else is available ?

mozza91

Coach
You support the knights and you are surprised a club would over pay a local of some talent because nobody else is available ?
500k for a guy with no attacking ability is ridiculous even by our standards. We gave that to a winger which was bad, but he was the best winger in the game at the time at least.
Though to be fair with Hagan in charge anything would've been possible.

Spot On

Coach

Yes. Fensom, although talked up by Raiders fans as some sort of future rep star, may have scored highly in Supercoach but I am genuinely surprised he is on 500K a year.

Isn't Fensom from Bellingen?

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Hes not that bad lol.

His output in attack is fine tbh. We just have better players now. You guys acting like he is terrible with the ball are just being silly. He is good for 100m a week. Its not even necessarily his attack that's the problem. He is stupid as f**k and is a penalty magnet

Also i might add that you guys have tragic salary cap problems so you guys have clearly over spent on terrible players. So its pretty rich to be throwing rocks at any club.

His attacking output is on par with the knights starting middle third forwards.

Last edited:

Joel-22

Juniors
I'd get rid of Korbin, Uate, Randall, Paea and Stockwell for this:

1.Jake Mamo
2.Nathan Ross
3.Dane Gagai
4.Pete Mata'utia
5.Brendan Elliott
6.Jarrod Mullen
7.Trent Hodkinson
8.Nathan Brown (from souths - before anyone makes any jokes about his namesake)
9.Danny Levi
10.Matthew Lodge
11.Sione Mata'utia
12.Mitch Barnett
13.Sam Mataora

14.Jacob Saifiti
15.Daniel Saifiti
16.Josh King
17.Pauli Pauli

slotmachine

First Grade
His attacking output is on par with the knights starting middle third forwards.

Fair call. He'd be better than Smith with the ball.

2016 per game averages

Fensom - 82m

K Sims - 84m
Mataora - 88m
Pauli - 91m
D Saifiti - 102m
J Saifiti - 78m
King - 56m
Rochow - 111m
Smith - 66m
Paea - 64m

Ugly viewing really.

Johns Magic

Referee
I'd get rid of Korbin, Uate, Randall, Paea and Stockwell for this:

1.Jake Mamo
2.Nathan Ross
3.Dane Gagai
4.Pete Mata'utia
5.Brendan Elliott
6.Jarrod Mullen
7.Trent Hodkinson
8.Nathan Brown (from souths - before anyone makes any jokes about his namesake)
9.Danny Levi
10.Matthew Lodge
11.Sione Mata'utia
12.Mitch Barnett
13.Sam Mataora

14.Jacob Saifiti
15.Daniel Saifiti
16.Josh King
17.Pauli Pauli

Am I reading this wrong, or you'd get rid of all of those guys for one unfashionable fringe first-grader and an unproven guy well and truly on the scrapheap?

voltron

Juniors
Honestly I would prefer to make a play for Elijah Taylor.
A better version of Fensom in my opinion.

But yes, I wish they would hurry up and retire Snowden
so dodgy that its taking so long