What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scheduling, TV allocations, Ratings and the madness of ch 9.

mongoose

Coach
9HD has a soft and grainy appearance compared to FoxSports HD. Colours look washed out aswell.

It's a huge improvement over what we used to get. But when you can hit the back button and keep swapping feeds its easy to see that Foxtel is clearly better.

Thats the case through a Foxtel box anyway. Havent watched 9HD any other way.

The 9HD looks pretty good on my TV.

Funny - I flicked over to the AFL last weekend on 7mate and noticed It's not even in HD, the quality was appalling and almost unwatchable. I am actually shocked the AFL are not on top of that.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
My god, I'm contributing to the discussion because I have knowledge of how it works. Can we just avoid the personal rubbish for once?

For clarity on what I mean - Fox Sports published the full draw inadvertently on their website last year, instead of ONLY the dates and times for the first 20 rounds, on the morning it was released last November. It was deleted quickly.

Then, when the last six rounds were "revealed" at the end of June, there were a total of around 6 or 7 differences across the 48 games from the list that Fox had accidentally published. All the changes were within each network, i.e. Fox Sports timeslots were switched among themselves (Sat 3pm and 5:30pm for example were switched for a couple of the rounds), and I think 1 or 2 Ch 9 timeslots between themselves (A Friday swapping with a Sunday for example). No games changed from 9 to Fox and vice versa, from my recollection.

So yes, it's a common misconception that the rounds are "decided" mid-season. They're done well in advance by the NRL and networks - and are merely tinkered with come June-July when it's time to make it public.

Looks like I was right, at least for this year: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...nor-premiership-showdown-20160830-gr4rrk.html

Card Shark

Immortal
I noticed months ago you had the end of year draw up on here.

We had no "upgrades" when they officially announced rounds 21-26 except we went from a Saturday 3pm game to a Monday 7pm game V Titans.

Bloody ridiculous.

Card Shark

Immortal
I'd say it's been the same every year since the fixed draw...previous year the wooden spoon bound eels had 4 of 6 FTA games "allocated" 1/2 way through the year for rds 21-26.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
If the NRL had any idea they would have got Fox and Nine in a room this week and negotiated how to simulcast the top of the table game on Nine at Saturday 8pm..

Even if NRL offered FOX $400k+ to do it... it would be a nice good will gesture that would have confirmed their commitment to the fans..

The PR would have been so good for the game

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Q4 2014... and we're now in Q3 2016. I imagine a fair bit may have changed in that time.

Especially since the introduction of NRL Digital Pass and streaming-only Foxtel availbility.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
its taken 20 years to get to 27% im sure it hasn't moved that much in last 18 months...

Even if another 10% of the population can access nrl app, or foxtel play etc..

its still less than half of the country who can see your biggest game of year...

Do a deal with abc or sbs if you have to, its not like people are going to go and buy a foxtel subscription this week.

its taken 20 years to get to 27% im sure it hasn't moved that much in last 18 months...

Even if another 10% of the population can access nrl app, or foxtel play etc..

its still less than half of the country who can see your biggest game of year...

Do a deal with abc or sbs if you have to, its not like people are going to go and buy a foxtel subscription this week.

You would have to pay the ABC or SBS to show the games. They have no money to use to produce the telecast, let alone bid for the rights.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Fox do all the production... you just give the feed to the abc for free

They would take it trust me

Ot would be their highest rating show of the year

All you want to do is maximise your eyeballs

Even stream it for free on nrl.com

Anything . A new idea in response to a problem would be so nice to see

Fox do all the production... you just give the feed to the abc for free

They would take it trust me

Ot would be their highest rating show of the year

All you want to do is maximise your eyeballs

Even stream it for free on nrl.com

Anything . A new idea in response to a problem would be so nice to see

Could not see Fox agreeing to that, nor 9 for that matter. Commercially it makes no sense for them to do that, and I doubt the NRL would be able to persuade them.

no name

Coach
This is where the 'no games must be played at the same time' policy comes back to bite broadcasters.

If there was 2 or 3 games on a Sunday at 3 or 4 o'clock, 9 could pick a relevant game instead of a dead rubber.

Latest posts