What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ron Massey Cup/Sydney Shield 2016

Joker44

Juniors
NSWRL players of the year

Sydney Shield - Jake Pickering (Peninsula)
Ron Massey - Brendan Waters (Wests)

Tend to agree with Jake Pickering. Jake Horton would have been close to winning it also.

Brendan Waters would not have been my pick. Adrian Davis has been the best half/player in the competition in my opinion.

Thoughts?

kbw

Bench
The Roosters won their quarter final in the NYC 48-0 yesterday. The side included 8 players that appeared for Kingsgrove Colts in 2016 and several more that played for the Colts last season

It was 6 players
10. Ben Thomas
23. Paul Momirovski
12. Brendan Frei
15. Sitili Tupouniua
16. Jarrett Boland
18. Sukamanu Raki

Bernie and Jesse played last year.

There were a number of Roosters players in the U20s squad that played this year and/or last that didn't play in the semi

rightleftin

Juniors
Cabramatta had a really tough year finishing 11th in RMC but can take some satisfaction in seeing 6 players that have appeared for Cabra this season play in Newtown's win against NZ Warriors in the NSW Cup semi on sunday, in particular, Corin Smith, Kenny Niko and Harrison Muller who played 9 to 12 games for Cabra.

kbw

Bench
The other 2 were:

19 Luke Chalker
20 Joseph Ratu

but they named 19 so maybe they did not play.
I knew I would be wrong in some form :). They didn't play in the semi. Ben, Jesse's brother also played in RM as well as Shaq Mitchell, Jake Steadman and Zac Cardiallis

rightleftin

Juniors
My understanding is that the 15 players that played for Kingsgrove this season that also appeared in NYC this season were as follows:

Ben Marshke, Ben Thomas, Brad Mullins, Brendan Frei, Jake Steadman, Jarrett Boland, Joseph Ratu, Luke Chalker, Nick Cornish, Paul Momirovski, Shaq Mitchell, Sitili Topouniua, Suka Raki, Tristan Alvarado, Zac Cardassiliaris.

and another 2 that played NYC last year - Harry Barsdell and Isaac Chrichton - also appeared for Colts this year.

Last edited:

rightleftin

Juniors
The Guildford Sydney Shield side has almost identical statistics to Kingsgrove Colts when it comes to NYC players. There were 16 guys that played NYC for Parramatta this year that also appeared by Guildford SS:

James Gammidge, Mason Cerruto, Dean Matterson, Atini Gafa, Kelepi Manu, Matthew Price, Tui Oalapu, Amanaki Manu, Anthony Layoun, Faiminifo Seve, Frank Salu, Jye Challenor, Sean Keppie, Jonathan Mose, Tangi Hokai, Reed Mahoney.

In addition, Aaron Pene appeared for the Owls SS after playing NYC last year.

rightleftin

Juniors
There was huge turnover of players between the Bulldogs NYC and the Auburn Warriors Sydney Shield side with 21 players appearing in both sides:

Zac Greene, Jason Finau, Bayley Simmonson, Jack Gibbons, Mario El Boustani, Jade Anderson, Jerry Leasi, Jake Gleeson, James Clark, Connor Jones, Chris Cunningham, Sean Paul Fenukitau, Jye Challenor, Julius Taavao, Josh Farrant, Soni Hala, Avia Minute, Peni Minisale, Tre Deuce Sio, Kayne Kalache, Valimaa Teupa

rightleftin

Juniors
The were 14 players that played for both Wests Tigers NYC and West Magpies Sydney Shield during 2016:

Roman Loelu, Obed Kharwin, Mark McCormack, Daniel Roberts, Luke Sharpe, Sam Deffides, Jesse Jackson, Paul Roberts, Jai Doolan, Trent Pye, Lenny Sauni, Rhys Sciglitano, Leighton Tali, Royce Tout.

rightleftin

Juniors
Campbelltown Eagles through to the grand final after defeating St Marys 40-6 today

5 tries to Ben Baker - an amazing performance in a big game. Meanwhile, Ben Pickeing, SS player of the year, could not provide his usual penetration, meaning that a very solid 1st half effort that delivered a 12-4 lead to Peninsula was overcome by Mounties, who ran out 32-16 winners.

thorson1987

Coach
5 tries to Ben Baker - an amazing performance in a big game. Meanwhile, Ben Pickeing, SS player of the year, could not provide his usual penetration, meaning that a very solid 1st half effort that delivered a 12-4 lead to Peninsula was overcome by Mounties, who ran out 32-16 winners.

He is a top bloke.

Was coach of my sons U/7's team this year.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
CsnfP8LUsAAw9EV.jpg:large

CsnN1YlUIAAU1MO.jpg:large

Broncos93

Juniors
Seen Wests Twitter and Facebook accounts carrying on about the referee costing them the game at St Mary's. Sadly it's not the first time those official accounts have carried on like that, quite disgraceful coming from such a historic club.

That being said I saw a long post on Facebook from one of the players talking about his frustration and disappointment at the officials gifting Mary's two trys that should have been disallowed, as well as pulling back one of their own to award them a penalty at the ruck instead of playing advantage, despite the in goal ref giving the all clear for put down.

Was anyone at the game? Penalty count was even or close to it. Wonder if it was as bad as being made out?

kbw

Bench
Campbelltown Eagles through to the grand final after defeating St Marys 40-6 today

Congratulations to Campbelltown, they are doing a great job running sides in first,second and third grade of the SCC comp as well as Sydney shield. Played out there several times this year always felt welcome

Tarantosaurus

Juniors
Seen Wests Twitter and Facebook accounts carrying on about the referee costing them the game at St Mary's. Sadly it's not the first time those official accounts have carried on like that, quite disgraceful coming from such a historic club.

That being said I saw a long post on Facebook from one of the players talking about his frustration and disappointment at the officials gifting Mary's two trys that should have been disallowed, as well as pulling back one of their own to award them a penalty at the ruck instead of playing advantage, despite the in goal ref giving the all clear for put down.

Was anyone at the game? Penalty count was even or close to it. Wonder if it was as bad as being made out?

Wests always complain on their twitter account. They whinge on anything that goes against them, but never blame themselves.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Highly unprofessional and extremely disappointing. It's really ordinary in the first instance but when they not only tweet the referee assocation, but then name the referee in their social media postings... I hope the NSWRL come down on them somehow. So so poor.

scruffy1

Juniors

I was at the game to watch a mate in shield, Wests really where dudded, last StMarys try was a bounce ball i was right on it and my son and myself couldnt believe it was awarded, and their second last try the wests catcher was taken out by what looked like an offside player, offside or not would have been a penalty every day of the week in the NRL. Wests dropped way too much ball, but definitely got some really bad calls go against them. Not sure about the unawarded wests trys.

Tarantosaurus

Juniors
I was at the game to watch a mate in shield, Wests really where dudded, last StMarys try was a bounce ball i was right on it and my son and myself couldnt believe it was awarded, and their second last try the wests catcher was taken out by what looked like an offside player, offside or not would have been a penalty every day of the week in the NRL. Wests dropped way too much ball, but definitely got some really bad calls go against them. Not sure about the unawarded wests trys.

Even if they did get bad calls against them, the way their social media accounts act is an absolute disgrace.

Latest posts