What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Corey Norman

Noise

Coach
Perhaps you should re-read what I posted. My post established that having historical traces of drugs in your system is now a criminal offence in NSW.

So the NRL somehow differentiate between drug use (not getting caught by the cops) and drug use (caught by the cops) however the reality is that in both instances the player has broken the law nonetheless. The NRL's approach to the two however is chalk and cheese.

Only if you are caught driving

Gronk

Staff member
Good. Makes sense after everyone else seems to be getting Section 10 for small time possession.

Perhaps you should re-read what I posted. My post established that having historical traces of drugs in your system is now a criminal offence in NSW.

No it is not. It is an offence to be in charge of a motor vehicle and found to have traces of drugs in your system. As per my original reply.

Gronk

Staff member
No it is not. It is an offence to be in charge of a motor vehicle and found to have traces of drugs in your system. As per my original reply.

Yes that's what I said --> having historical traces of drugs in your system is now a criminal offence in NSW <--

Yes that's what I said --> having historical traces of drugs in your system is now a criminal offence in NSW <--

On that basis, having alcohol in your system is a criminal offence. There are numerous things that are only an offence if they occur in a particular context.

Noise

Coach

Um, no it's not. It's only a criminal offence if you are caught driving. Do you think it's also a criminal offence if you have more than 0.05 BAC and you aren't driving?

Edit: Barry beat me to it

So you can take all the drugs you like, just don't drive a car and don't get caught with them? Sweet.

I assume proving how they got in your system is what the law can't be arsed with.

Gronk

Staff member
Um, no it's not. It's only a criminal offence if you are caught driving. Do you think it's also a criminal offence if you have more than 0.05 BAC and you aren't driving?

Edit: Barry beat me to it
My original point was that in NSW it is actually an offence to have used. You dont need to be under the influence, they just need to test you to find it in your system. Yes whilst driving is where they can catch you.

Anyway winding waaay back my point was that the NRL are inconsistent as the punishment by the NRL after catching a user by a dope test is softy softy however if the player got caught under a RDT for having used 5 days ago the NRL would throw the book at him.

Norman got 8 weeks and it was just in his pocket.

strider

Post Whore
So how long to the drugs they test for stay in your system?

And is it a case of ANY trace is deemed bad? Or like alcohol you are allowed to drive with some in your system?

Gronk

Staff member
So how long to the drugs they test for stay in your system?

And is it a case of ANY trace is deemed bad? Or like alcohol you are allowed to drive with some in your system?
Any trace of drugs in your system. So up to 10 days after you took ice Strides.

ash411

Bench
Pretty much
I call bullshit here. It is absolutely illegal to be under the influence of illegal drugs in Australia.

bag me me for siting my source (again) if you want, but this is from the Alcohol & Drug Foundation...

If you'd like, I'll also confirm it with a mate of mine who is a Federal Police Officer.

Illegal drugs
The following drugs are some of the drugs that are illegal in Australia. Federal and state laws provide penalties for possessing, using, making or selling them, or driving under their influence.

• Cannabis, including some synthetic cannabinoids
  • Cocaine
  • Ecstasy (MDMA)
  • GHB (gamma hydroxybutyrate)
  • Heroin
  • Ice (crystal methamphetamine)
  • LSD (lysergic acid diethylamide)
  • Mephedrone
  • PCP (phencyclidine)
  • PMA (paramethoxyamphetamine) and PMMA (paramethoxymethamphetamine).

There are also laws that prevent the sale and possession of bongs and other smoking equipment in some states and territories. (For example, Victoria has passed legislation that will ban the sale of cannabis water pipes (bongs) from January 2012.)

- See more at: http://www.druginfo.adf.org.au/topics/drug-law-in-australia#sthash.Y0lsBv8u.dpuf

Latest posts