What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2016 CRL Clayton Cup.

While CRL isn't NSWRL, thought I'd drop this in here anyway. While you City blokes won't know or probably worry, the Clayton Cup for best performed first grade team in the Country is a big thing in the bush and eagerly discussed. Its not about the best team in the country, just the team who performs best within their group .Normally you would go through the season undefeated and win your grand final to be in the calculations. Port Macquarie Sharks won it last year.

I am proud to announce that the Moruya Sharks (Group 16) is the first team to go into the mix to be judged a possible winner. We have had an undefeated season and last weekend defeated Bega 24-14 in the grand final. Our team is just about all local juniors, including Australian & NSW prop Michael Weyman, who has come home to his junior club and played his final game of competitive league and just for the record, was voted Man Of The Match. Probably on sentiment, though he did have a great game.

Another likely candidate is Dubbo CYMS. They are undefeated to date and play their Major Semi this week. Best of luck to them, though if I can be one eyed, go Nyngan! Both CYMs and Moruya have similar dominant For and Against records and if they stay undefeated, will make it tough for the judging panel.

If anyone knows of any other undefeated team (who haven't had a draw) in NSW Country, please add to this forum.

Well, unless there is something I don't know, Moruya (Group 16) are the only undefeated premiership winning side in NRL Country Rugby League this year. This surely means it should be presented with the Clayton Cup for 2016. Dubbo CYMS fell at the last hurdle when upset by Forbes over the weekend. It would be a great honour for Moruya who are by no means a big club and is made up of locals. Some of them have played at higher levels but all have come back to live here on the far south coast and finish their careers where they started them. Most of the team would get big bucks if they went to play in bigger competitions, but the joy of wearing the Black & Blue and playing with mates is a proud reminder of why men play football.

Moruya actually folded seven years ago with a lack of playing numbers and too few committee people to carry on. They looked like another country club lost to the game. Since reforming under a dedicated committee they have won the minor premiership the last 5 years and played in four grand finals, winning three. The town has embraced their club and sponsorship backing from local businesses has been brilliant, especially as economic times have been tough down this way.

Just so proud to part of it.

Attachments

• Sharks 2016  (2).JPG
    Sharks 2016 (2).JPG
    965.7 KB · Views: 5

kbw

Bench
The importance of country rugby league is incredibly under valued now days. Its basically tossed aside in disrespect to the amazing people out there running it.

I would love to see CRL games televised