What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dufty or Dugan for Fullback in 2017?

TomRedVRiver

Bench
So this seems to be a divisive topic of discussion.
Dufty or Dugan for our fullback from rd 1 next year, which one and why?

Feel free to throw in any complete backline ideas too.

MilanDragon

Juniors
My initial thought is Dugan. Reason being where else do you play him? If you play him in the centres then you are moving Aitken of Milne out which I don't think is the best idea, as I can see them being there long term.

Dufty to the wing if he was to be in FG. I'd like to see him given a crack at FG, not sure if it'll be from R1.

The other factor is who is signed as 7, because then you have Mann to place into the team, potentially on the wing. I feel we need (plus I want) to keep Flo in there for another season.

Only other option is.. And this is just an idea, if Dufty is bit of a ball player why not use him as a bench utility - not sure if it would work.

blacksafake

First Grade
Dugan for me especially if there is a change in coach. I'm sure a 1/2 decent coach can bring his passing game back & devise a more attacking game plan.
Dufty to start on the wing.

I think Dugan to the wing and dufty has shown that has going to be a top class fullback so let's blood him and to be honest Dugan is too injury prone and not worth the money he is on anymore

j0nesy

Bench
I'd go with Dugan and use Dufty as cover for wing, fullback and half. That should get him a handful of games in first grade. If he's good enough he'll take the opportunity with both hands and become a permanent either late season or next season.

BrissyRedV

Bench
It is an interesting conundrum. Dugan is excellent defensively but his attacking output is well below par when compared to the majority of other fullbacks in the comp. Dufty's form this season in the 20s has been sensational but is he truly ready for 1st grade?

Dufty for me starts in reserve grade regardless of where you play Dugan IMO but I also do not think Dugan should be guaranteed the fullback spot either. We have an abundance of outside backs for next season and someone is going to miss out. MacDonald comes into the squad but who misses out in the outside backs to fit him in? Mann has been outstanding and Flo is as safe as houses. Does Mann go to fullback and Aitken or Milne miss out for Dugan? Or does an untested Mann go to halfback in place of Hutch?

Although controversial I would go:
1. Mann
2. Flo
3. Aitken/Dugan
4. Milne
5. MacDonald
6. Widdop
7. Hutchison

TheRev

First Grade
Dufty for me is the NSW Cup Fullback (replacement for Quinlan), only comes into the 1st grade mix when the first injury comes to one of the wingers or fullback (and it will happen).

Whether Dugan is our Fullback, its another argument, its him or Mann, and based on the 2015 experiment, im glad im not the coach making the call, much depends on who that coach actually is..

BennyV

Referee
It will 100% be Dugan, and it should be. Dufty needs most of the year in NSW Cup getting his body ready to play against grown men, Whole new ball game. He can have a game or two when injuries occur.

WE've got Dugan contracted for 1 more year, even if we don't re-sign him we should be using that year to bring Dufty through the right way.

Also, shows again how keeping Mary on for next year could really destroy Dugan's career at this point...

hewi

Bench
With Dugan only been contracted till the end of next year he should be the fullback except for injury and SOO. The Dufty plays. If he goes ok the I can't see Dugan getting a contract extension at the current money. Dufty is IMO the long term future fullback.

Mr Red

First Grade
Dugan must be fullback.

And this is why I'm still scratching my head with the nene McDonald signing.... For me I would have used the wing spot to blood someone like Dufty, give him first grade experience in a role less physically demanding compared to fullback and allow him that extra season to mature physically before giving him a chance at fullback...

Same approach like eels have chosen with Bevan French....

st.phil

Bench
Here's a curveball - at some point i'd like to see dufty to FB, Milne to second row, duges to right centre, widdop to halfback and Mann to five eighth. Like Milne a bunch but we need pace in the centres and I wonder if he has the toe.

Oh and cleary to coach

Lethal25

Juniors
This is a 2017 team vs 2018 and beyond conversation IMO. I would not be signing Dugan again on the money he's currently on, reportedly around the 700k mark (I may be wrong). From a team balance perspective we cannot afford to pay Dugan this money if it costs us a decent half. Dugan makes a bucket load of metres but we have no half capable of capitalising on this momentum, so without a decent half he's overpaid. Not his fault but that's the way the cards have fallen.

Given we have SFA in the halves I say it's worth blooding Dufty for at least half a dozen games and using Dugan as the utility. Injuries may play their part but this club needs to look forward not back, Dugan as a member of the first grade playing roster has been part of the mediocrity

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Dufty for me is the NSW Cup Fullback (replacement for Quinlan), only comes into the 1st grade mix when the first injury comes to one of the wingers or fullback (and it will happen).

Whether Dugan is our Fullback, its another argument, its him or Mann, and based on the 2015 experiment, im glad im not the coach making the call, much depends on who that coach actually is..

Totally agree with 1st paragraph. With Dugan having rep commitments and his usual injuries (never can play a whole season without injury) Dufty will get some game time. Unless we have Mary as coach and we all know what will then happen? Mary will put Nighty at fullback because it is safe option. And then a club will come along and offer Dufty a guarantee fullback role and he will leave.

Sigurd

Juniors
It is an interesting conundrum. Dugan is excellent defensively but his attacking output is well below par when compared to the majority of other fullbacks in the comp. Dufty's form this season in the 20s has been sensational but is he truly ready for 1st grade?

Dufty for me starts in reserve grade regardless of where you play Dugan IMO but I also do not think Dugan should be guaranteed the fullback spot either. We have an abundance of outside backs for next season and someone is going to miss out. MacDonald comes into the squad but who misses out in the outside backs to fit him in? Mann has been outstanding and Flo is as safe as houses. Does Mann go to fullback and Aitken or Milne miss out for Dugan? Or does an untested Mann go to halfback in place of Hutch?

Although controversial I would go:
1. Mann
2. Flo
3. Aitken/Dugan
4. Milne
5. MacDonald
6. Widdop
7. Hutchison

Mann over Aitken or Dugan...... One of your best.

Sigurd

Juniors
With a half, 5/8 and hooker who have some ball-playing ability, Dugan will be a superstar at fullback, like he is for rep teams. Without he is like a second-rower. At this stage it looks as though we will be without so Dufty but he needs to go away for a few months, take human growth hormones and then come back. Otherwise he will get smashed and it will ruin his confidence at least for next year and possibly on a permanent basis.

hazzbeen

Bench
Dufty for me give the kid a chance to make mistakes and learn from his experience that will have him well for the following year . we are not going to win anything for the next few years especially if Mary is still the coach , so let's give them a shot ..... If we were contenders for top 4 yea, it would have to be Dugan , but if it's the some shit we dished up this year then Duffy ...

Last edited:

SBD82

Coach
If Dugan is coached by someone other than Mary in the offseason, surely they could teach him to play the link role in a back line sweep, which is really what is missing from his CV.

And if Mary is coaching this offseason it won't matter.

Dragsters

First Grade
This thread is indeed 12 months premature.

With no quinlan then i agree dufty is a lock for the Cutters and so he should be for all the obvious reasons.

At this point for round 1 I would like to see:

1. Dugan

2. McDonald

3. Milne

4. Aitken

5. Flo

6. Mann

7. Widdop

I think this combo would give us a good mix of skill, speed and experience.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

hazzbeen

Bench
This thread is indeed 12 months premature.

With no quinlan then i agree dufty is a lock for the Cutters and so he should be for all the obvious reasons.

At this point for round 1 I would lie to see:

1. Dugan

2. McDonald

3. Milne

4. Aitken

5. Flo

6. Mann

7. Widdop

I think this combo would give us a good mix of skill, speed and experience.

Just my 2 cents.
I think Mann might end up there this is why MacDonald was bought .... Why no try nothing to loose ....

Latest posts