What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scam Smith and the "spirit of the game"

Social media outrage after Cameron Smith’s sly hit on Jarrod Croker
ea0dd5a7dea4b6bb8c56c77d8c7ca889

Paul Crawley, The Daily Telegraph
23 minutes ago

IF the NRL’s biggest pest Michael Ennis was caught doing this to an injured opponent, there would be outrage.

But when it comes to Cameron Smith, many fans view him as a protected species.

The Melbourne skipper has come under fire in the build up to Sunday’s NRL grand final after an incident involving Canberra’s injured captain Jarrod Croker last Saturday night.

Smith was filmed appearing to shove an unsuspecting Croker to the ground following Cooper Cronk’s try in the 32nd minute.

0b82d42f6c58563a984e86786aca895d

Cameron Smith catches Jarrod Croker’s knee from behind in the preliminary final at AAMI Park on Saturday night.
The incident wasn’t picked up by the match commentators initially, but was snapped by eagle-eyed fans who later posted it on social media.

Smith is spotted running over to shove Croker in the back, and fans were upset that he appeared to make contact with Croker’s badly injured left leg.

Croker had been carrying an injury to his knee and ankle from the 10th minute after he was accidentally cleaned up in some friendly fire by a teammate.

3602a00d0ea669a3d5e655431bb05835

The Croker incident won’t convince any Smith detractors. Picture: AAP Image/Julian Smith.
Players immediately came charging in from both teams after Cronk’s try, but it is not known if it was Smith’s sneaky push that sparked the melee.

Fans were furious with Smith.

“Wow, that’s so bad!!” one wrote.

“I don’t like Smith. At all,” said another.

Many comments were far less complimentary and cannot be printed here.

The view from many was that this incident involving Croker was just another example of Smith pushing the boundaries.

While Ennis is not the type who ever attempts to mask his actions, Smith is known to be far more subtle among his rivals. Even after this incident he stood back when the melee started, seemingly surprised at the commotion.

7705b8a76b11f6fc51ca19abc7a42e4c

Cameron Smith in action during the win over Canberra. Picture: AAP Image/Julian Smith
Only a few weeks ago Smith accused Brisbane of not playing in the spirit of the game after Anthony Milford milked a penalty for throwing the ball at a player laying in the ruck.

A recent Daily Telegraph fan poll voted Smith the player supporters most love to hate.

Smith polled 22 per cent of the votes, finishing ahead of Josh Reynolds (21 per cent), Paul Gallen (15 per cent) and Ennis (14 per cent).

Smith knows he won’t have the crowd on his side on Sunday.

“From the little we have seen from down here (the Sharks) have a huge amount of support down there,’’ Smith said on Monday. “I saw parts of their game the other night and all I could see was Sharks fans in the ground.

“There has been a lot of excitement building down there throughout the year. So there should be. There is going to be plenty of Sharks fans on Sunday.’’

Smith has already said the Storm would be ready for Ennis to be at his “scheming best” when the two cross paths on Sunday night.

Smith and Ennis have had their share of run-ins over the years, with Ennis causing controversy in the 2014 elimination final between the Storm and the Bulldogs.

Ennis was accused of disrespecting Smith when he patted the Storm skipper on the head after Smith made an uncharacteristic blunder. But no doubt the Sharks will be just as wary of Smith.

Not only is he known for his ability to influence refs, but he is regarded without peer when it comes to the art of the rugby league wrestle.

The incident involving Croker certainly won’t win him or the Storm any extra support come Sunday night.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...r/news-story/ea0dd5a7dea4b6bb8c56c77d8c7ca889

What a scum bag. Go the Sharks.

chigurh

Saw the video, thought it was a pretty 'meh' incident.

Good on Croker for getting through a losing final without blubbering though lol

Snappy

Coach
The incident wasn’t picked up by the match commentators initially, but was snapped by butt-hurt faiders fans who later posted it on social media, and made a mountain out of a mole hill from an accidental push whilst Smith rushed to celebrate a try which lead his team to a Grand Final.

moffla

Bench
Haha if you actually watch the footage you'll see nothing is in it. This is clutching at straws at it's absolute finest.

This is actually a new low from the Daily Telegraph - can't help but laugh at this one

Nice Snappy, except it was obvious he targeted Crockers knee. It wasn't just a push.

Anyway, I don't expect anything less from him or the likes of Ennis to be honest

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Hes a grub but like i said in the grand final thread he is such an over the top cheat that it goes right through the other side to me liking him.

That said a storm supporter was blowing up in the gdt because he thought croker attacked cronk and it should have been an 8 point try lmao

moffla

Bench
Hilarious that 3 days AFTER the game, people see a screenshot in the Daily Telegraph and then act all outraged.

Then again, Australia in general is developing an outrage culture so it doesn't surprise me. I miss the days where no one gave a fu*k about these incidents.

DT sucks balls.

I saw this on Fox outlet. So they are playing us as well? I guess the vision has been doctored to make Smith look bad.

Pfft

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Hilarious that 3 days AFTER the game, people see a screenshot in the Daily Telegraph and then act all outraged.

Then again, Australia in general is developing an outrage culture so it doesn't surprise me. I miss the days where no one gave a fu*k about these incidents.

In the 1970s frank sinatra made a joke about female journalists in australia and was literally chased out the country.

I think we have always had an outrage culture

The Undertaker

Juniors
Be deliberate for sure with that prick.
merkin had to do something as the raiders were clearly frustrating the Storm assholes

Latest posts