What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cutters v Bears

Players used this year

Quinlan
Mann
Milne
Dodd
KFFL
Nona
Hutchison
Wakeman
McCrone
Host
T McCarthy
Lewis
Havili
Coster
Sironen
S Clune (Mid season signing)
Gallagher (Injured half the year)
Newbigging
Sele
Noble
Dufty
Lawrie
Leilua
Herbert
A Clune
A McCarthy
Mata'Utia (Released by Dragons)
Ikahihifo (Released by Dragons)
C Brown (Signed early in season then Released)
Porter
D McGregor
Wallace
Hind (Injured towards end of year)
Alcock
Brennan
Marketo
Lui
Mathews
Carr
Lafai
I Thompson
Glymin

Sam Manuleleua left before start of season
Kyle Eather never played a game for them this year

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Everyone wrote off Cutters before the game. I think Bears were like 1.60 to win and Cutters 2.80. First NSW team to win the State Championship. Awesome effort.Well done JD and boys. Surely he has done enough to convince the board to have control of first grade or play a more senior role than he currently is. If not I am sure other clubs will be sniffing around. Forget Cleary and others, JD is the real deal. That is his 4th GF in a row apparently. Nothing more impressive than that?

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Being technical JD has won 5 GF's in a row.
Northern Pride - Qld Cup 2014
Northern Pride - State Championship 2014
Nth Qld Cowboys - NRL Premiers (as assistant coach) 2015
Illawarra Cutters - NSW Cup 2016
Illawarra Cutters - State Championship 2016

Impressive!

Coffs dragon

Bench
Being technical JD has won 5 GF's in a row.
Northern Pride - Qld Cup 2014
Northern Pride - State Championship 2014
Nth Qld Cowboys - NRL Premiers (as assistant coach) 2015
Illawarra Cutters - NSW Cup 2016
Illawarra Cutters - State Championship 2016

Impressive!
If the club does not see the need and merit in promoting JD into 1st grade then we have serious problems in board and management.
Yes they see Mary as an NRL coach......it's called a waterboy/assistant like his good mate Pricey!!! He already has origin experience in the waterboy role and can blow his own trumpet in making it sound significant.
Give the whistle and clipboard to JD and get Mary out of the box onto the paddock if he must remain around for the Illawarra arse wipers.

monsterkev

Juniors
Congrats to JD and the cutters, very well deserved.
JD has done all he can do to prove himself, the next move is up to the board.
i mentioned halfway through the year then late in the year that jd should be coach and got shot down now you finally want to back a winner
Amazing how you all had no forsight then but do now maybe you as supporters are really related to mary and have blinkers on
You keep saying ivan cleary then others get mentioned but you have had jd all along and did not want him as 1st grade coach
People commenting on these threads dont know shit from clay

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
i mentioned halfway through the year then late in the year that jd should be coach and got shot down now you finally want to back a winner
Amazing how you all had no forsight then but do now maybe you as supporters are really related to mary and have blinkers on
You keep saying ivan cleary then others get mentioned but you have had jd all along and did not want him as 1st grade coach

Big deal. I said it in January that Sharks would win GF and tha roorters and Souths would miss out on top 8. So if there giving out the "I told you so award" I wanna get nominated too........

giboz71

First Grade
I'm not against giving JD the gig, but let's face it, he would be another rookie coach.

Big difference between being successful in NSW Cup as opposed to FG. I'd be giving him the full time assistant gig under someone like Toovey if Cleary isn't available.

Clearly, he didn't have a lot of input into FG under Mary. The Cutters and the Dragons were like chalk and cheese when it came to playing styles.

Old Timer

Coach
I'm not against giving JD the gig, but let's face it, he would be another rookie coach.

Big difference between being successful in NSW Cup as opposed to FG. I'd be giving him the full time assistant gig under someone like Toovey if Cleary isn't available.

Clearly, he didn't have a lot of input into FG under Mary. The Cutters and the Dragons were like chalk and cheese when it came to playing styles.
Everyone is a rookie until they get a gig in the big game.
The trouble is there are rookies with a form guide to indicate potential success in the big league and rookies who have no form guide but drink with the right crowd and are considered as club royalty.
JD has an impeccable form guide which clearly demonstrates he is getting continued success year after year in various and different systems.

giboz71

First Grade
Everyone is a rookie until they get a gig in the big game.
The trouble is there are rookies with a form guide to indicate potential success in the big league and rookies who have no form guide but drink with the right crowd and are considered as club royalty.
JD has an impeccable form guide which clearly demonstrates he is getting continued success year after year in various and different systems.

Agreed. Clearly he has the technical nous to coach a footy side, it's the man management aspect I'd be concerned about. Brown, Price and now Mary have failed, as they couldn't get their players to perform when it mattered.

And when you consider we have high priced internationals in our team (Duges, Widdop, Friz etc), just wondering how they would respond to another rookie coach (with no FG experience).

If history tells us anything, its that the Dragons don't seem to do well under a coach with no FG experience.

Happy to be proven wrong however.

getsmarty

Immortal
Cutters rout Bears to claim Interstate title

Mitch Jennings@@Mitch_Jenno

2 Oct 2016, 5 p.m.
THE ILLAWARRA Cutters didn’t so much as break Queensland’s stranglehold on interstate bragging rights as obliterate it, blowing Burleigh off the paddock 54-12 in Sunday’s Intrust Super Championship clash.

r0_301_5022_3136_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

A TASTE OF STEEL: Illawarra claimed the Intrust Super Championship 54-12 at ANZ Stadium on Sunday. Picture: Getty Images

While the Dragons lumbering attack has drawn no end of criticism throughout 2016, the Cutters proved the entertainers on the game’s biggest stage, running nine tries to two to take home their second major piece of silverware in as many weeks to a previously bare trophy cabinet. In what proved a continuation of their NSW Cup premiership celebrations, the Cutters ran in five first half tries, four of them to forwards, to lead 30-0 at the break with a shell-shocked Bears outfit never really in the clash.

It was coach Jason Demetriou’s second taste of success in the interstate clash having won the inaugural clash with Queensland Cup side Northern Pride in 2014.

“I think for players at this level, playing on NRL grand final day is a huge opportunity and they were outstanding today, they showed how much quality they’ve got,” Demetriou said.

“You get to showcase how good you are against the elite players at this level and there’s only one place to go after that and that’s the NRL. I felt after watching the video of the Queensland Cup grand final and that intensity between their final and the NSW Cup grand final wasn’t quite the same.

“I thought we could put a lot of pressure on them through our defence which we did early in the game and what we did well was they didn’t get any ball at all down our end in the first half and I think that broke their spirit a little bit.

“We want to play with some shape but we want to play with our eyes as well and have options both sides of the footy and I thought the boys did that well.

“They saw the opportunities up through the middle but that’s not easy to do because they’re a big pack, they really take some stopping but we managed to do that and got some joy through that middle third and scored some pretty good tries as well.”

In his last chance of 2016 to stake a claim for the Dragons No. 7 jumper next season, man of the match Drew Hutchison was outstanding for the Cutters, as was halves partner Shaun Nona with the pair having hand in all five first half tries and going on with it in the second stanza.

The Cutters led 6-0 after just seven minutes when Shannon Wakeman barged his way across. Siliva Havili, Hutchison and Kalifa Faifai Loa all went desperately close to scoring before Damian Sironen slammed the ball down under the posts after a break from Hutchison.

The floodgates opened from there with Adam Quinlan finishing off a brilliant 50-metre exchange of passing to extend the margin to 18-0 before Jacob Host and Chris Lewis added their names to the list for a 30-point buffer at halftime.

Hutchison stepped his way across five minutes after the resumption and Havili put the result to bed with his 54th minute barge-over effort that saw the lead swell to 42-0.

Kurt Mann got across before former Cutter Josh Ailomai finally broke the Bears’ duck. The relief was short-lived with Taane Milne scoring after a Bears error from the kickoff to move past the half-century with Bears’ fullback Kurtis Rowe’s try inside the final minute rounding out the scoring.

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/4201681/cutters-annointed-kings/?cs=302

Old Timer

Coach
Agreed. Clearly he has the technical nous to coach a footy side, it's the man management aspect I'd be concerned about. Brown, Price and now Mary have failed, as they couldn't get their players to perform when it mattered.

And when you consider we have high priced internationals in our team (Duges, Widdop, Friz etc), just wondering how they would respond to another rookie coach (with no FG experience).

If history tells us anything, its that the Dragons don't seem to do well under a coach with no FG experience.

Happy to be proven wrong however.
It was clearly on show that he has all the players confidence and belief especially those that Mary shit on like Mann, Host, Hutch.
TBH you could actually bring in a coach from another club and his personality could fracture the playing group so it is all a bit of a gamble.
IMHO JD does look like he has the winning culture and support required to make a difference to the mental attitude our club desperately requires,

Wow talk about blowing your own horn.

I bet you had no idea who he was before the season proper and then all of a sudden you are the forum expert.

ruthless dragon

Juniors

I don't agree JD has all the makings of a top line coach, he was a big part of the Cowboys winning last year

smi962

First Grade

His impressive resume (5 gf in a row) suggests he deserves a shot at first grade; unlike Mary who didn't have any thing like his resume but still got given the job. It's obviously who you are mates with and how many games you played for either the Dragons or Steelers.

You would think JD will eventually get a first grade gig somewhere - he can't do much more in the State level competitions to warrant it.

giboz71

First Grade
His impressive resume (5 gf in a row) suggests he deserves a shot at first grade; unlike Mary who didn't have any thing like his resume but still got given the job. It's obviously who you are mates with and how many games you played for either the Dragons or Steelers.

You would think JD will eventually get a first grade gig somewhere - he can't do much more in the State level competitions to warrant it.

As I said, I'm not against JD getting the gig. And if we start getting Cutters and 20's guys come through to FG, he'd be an ideal guy to have at the helm.

Just wondering how the more established FG guys would respond to him. Widdop in particular seems to be a prickly character and is our current captain.

If we are considering JD as our head coach, then we need to ensure there is a good synergy between coach and squad.

smi962

First Grade
I agree there is some risk but I believe there is some with any coaching appointment. I just believe he deserves a shot based on his record and the demonstrated play of his team. We are only speculating about the personalities of FG players and their relationship with JD; I agree this would have to come into the decision making process.

drago brelli

Bench
There's no guarantee that JD could deliver our NRL team a premiership, but you can say that for Cleary or Smith or Hasler or anyone else.
The one thing that would be guaranteed would be that they would deliver to us a brand of football we are all craving for. At the very least, JD would give us a team that would entertain with bright attacking footy. Yeah there would be defeats, and some may be heavy, but in all reality, we all want our Dragons to be just that, Dragons, having pride in the club, the jumper and the history. I think JD can provide the catalyst for the mental and physical requirements a player needs to perform at their peak.
At the moment, and as it appears, no player wants to play for McGregor, whose only interest is self preservation at any cost.

I went to the Cronulla site and read through the thread titled 'Do you still want to Sack Flanno', it was commenced in '13. The comments by some of their supporters back then mirror what is currently being said about McGregor.

St Georgio

Juniors
I went to the Cronulla site and read through the thread titled 'Do you still want to Sack Flanno', it was commenced in '13. The comments by some of their supporters back then mirror what is currently being said about McGregor.
hmm very interesting, I would rather take the punt on punting McGregor and taking the punt on JD as head coach!

Latest posts