What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Qld Cup vs NSW Cup

Stewbum

Juniors
I've watched plenty of NSW Cup on Foxtel and whilst the players look bigger physically the standard is not noticeably better than the Qld Cup footy I've seen this year. What are your thoughts on their comp vs ours?

Clearly Burleigh have been monstered today. is it purely 300 NRL games vs 85? This was about the same ratio of Burleigh vs Redcliffe and again. the side with more NRL experience prevailed.

If so what can we do about it when we have but three clubs in the NRL? It seems the insidious player leak to NSW may again be a problem for us. More Rep footy might help.

johnny plath

Juniors
Hopefully just an anomaly but I'm not sure. I fear that our origin success has masked a floor in our development pathways. We lost every head to head this year apart from origin. ..national junior reps..u16 18 and 20 interstates. ..schoolboys. gio cup. . residents..womens..and now today. Similar last year with a couple of wins in there. I think the difference is that in nsw development comes through the nrl systems whereas up here it's mostly state league clubs. We held or own for a while but i think we might have dropped the ball and need a rethink. The nsw nrl teams all have junior reps and academy systems which flow into there state system. Our junior reps are still district based leading into the state system. I think the difference is showing and If you watch a lot of junior footy you'll see the gap widening.

TheFrog

Coach
I've watched plenty of NSW Cup on Foxtel and whilst the players look bigger physically the standard is not noticeably better than the Qld Cup footy I've seen this year. What are your thoughts on their comp vs ours?
This is the first time in 3 years that the NSW side has won. I'm not quite sure what the problem is. You are not going to win it every year.

Diehards

Juniors
It wasnt just that they list - they were smashed, embarrased, completely outclassed!

You hit the nail on the head - from 14years of age the Sydney boys are training in NRL systems. I think we need to have a look at our Junior Development systems. How long has the Mm & CC Cup comps been going for?

siv

First Grade
The movement from NRL squads from 25 to 36 fulltime professional players I beleive is starting to have effect

johnny plath

Juniors
It wasnt just that they list - they were smashed, embarrased, completely outclassed!

You hit the nail on the head - from 14years of age the Sydney boys are training in NRL systems. I think we need to have a look at our Junior Development systems. How long has the Mm & CC Cup comps been going for?

Junior rep results really highlight the gulf... Townsville teams appear a step above the majority of the Qld junior reps and have won the QLD CC and MM cups for the last two seasons, but have been well beaten in the National finals in those seasons.. its a big gap. Has Qld ever won an u20s match in recent times, and this years 16s and 18s were also well beaten. Not sure what level of involvement the Cowboys have in Townsville with junior rep teams, but in Brisbane the state league teams ie Norths, souths, redcliffe, wynumm etc appear to run their own programs with little if no input from Broncos. I'm not sure if that's by request of those clubs or not, but whatever is happening seems to be to the detriment of junior development. Maybe it will take the end of this reign of Qld winning origin before something will be done... do the QRL think everything is rosy?

XXXX Cap

Juniors
What's the problem ? The Queensland Cup is the better competition with real clubs competing and having supporters who really care about that level of football.

Even if NSW did (and I am not saying they do) have stronger, more professional teams, if you are playing in front of three men and a dog every week, is the competition better ?

This end of season match is always going to be an interesting one - some of the teams will be completely spent by the end of their own GF, others will have more to offer the following week (eg Pride 2014). Some teams will be fully primed up for the Sydney game, others will be 10% off through injuries, inability to get up again or other reasons (eg Burleigh 2016) and will get a touch up from a team 100% on the day.

greg

Juniors
What's the problem ? The Queensland Cup is the better competition with real clubs competing and having supporters who really care about that level of football.

Even if NSW did (and I am not saying they do) have stronger, more professional teams, if you are playing in front of three men and a dog every week, is the competition better ?

This end of season match is always going to be an interesting one - some of the teams will be completely spent by the end of their own GF, others will have more to offer the following week (eg Pride 2014). Some teams will be fully primed up for the Sydney game, others will be 10% off through injuries, inability to get up again or other reasons (eg Burleigh 2016) and will get a touch up from a team 100% on the day.
The QLD cup is better in a geographical sense in that it basically covers

greg

Juniors
My bad.... continuing on, better in a geographical sense in that it covers the whole state basically where as NSW cup is Sydney, Newcastle, Woollongong. I cannot accept the 3 men and a dog crap though. You give me a crowd that compares with a home Newtown game at Henson park and I might start listening. And yes I go to Qld cup games as I live on the Gold Coast, big Burleigh Bears fan.

XXXX Cap

Juniors
Greg, yes, should have added about it being a real statewide comp.

I will take your advice on the Newtown crowds, I always exempt them from my "real clubs" theory. What we get to see on Fox probably is the bad end of it - teams playing in front of empty stadiums as curtain raisers with their so called club supporters no where to be seem until the NRL game starts.

My daughter now lives at Erskineville so I might get to a Newtown game when visiting next year.

siv

First Grade
Most Newtown Bears Wyong or Wenty supporters attend because they support their local club

Not many NRL diehards attend as scheduling is always a issue

If there were no NRL fringe players in these club sides would crowd numbers suddenly drop ? I doubt it. As today many sides can have up to 4 to 13 injuries which limits NRL involvement in the QLD and NSW Cup sides some weeks

Brutus

Referee
Great crowds for Newtown's final 2 home games this year.

I reckon the winner of the state championship is determined by preparation. Didn't Burleigh party on until Wed night after beating Redcliffe?

Brutus

Referee
Burleigh were more under the weather against Illawarra than Redcliffe were during the 1982 knock-out semi.

That's saying something.

Latest posts