What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greyhound Racing shut down in NSW

Bazal

Post Whore
Chump, posters were referring to the report being released after the Federal Election. As you have now conceded it was held back by Baird (and his extremely right wing churchies) so as not to hurt Mr Mansion man.

You do know the federal election is completely irrelevant to the decision of the state govt of NSW (and now the ACT) to ban greyhound racing, right? Right?

Shit, I didn't even know there was greyhound racing in the ACT to be perfectly honest. Personally I think it's a good decision, I've never much liked the idea of the dogs, what with live baiting and other shoddy practices persisting and now the revelations of dogs being needlessly killed...it's hard to disagree with shutting it down.

Won't affect me as a punter, the dogs are a rubbish punt anyway

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Don't be silly Baz. Federal election means shut down of any decision made by any level of government because conspiracehhhhhh

magpie4ever

First Grade
You do know the federal election is completely irrelevant to the decision of the state govt of NSW (and now the ACT) to ban greyhound racing, right? Right?

Shit, I didn't even know there was greyhound racing in the ACT to be perfectly honest. Personally I think it's a good decision, I've never much liked the idea of the dogs, what with live baiting and other shoddy practices persisting and now the revelations of dogs being needlessly killed...it's hard to disagree with shutting it down.

Won't affect me as a punter, the dogs are a rubbish punt anyway

If you believe that re: election, you are very new to how politics works.

Did the voluntary fire brigade matter (a state matter) in Victoria have no effect on the Vic vote? C'mon champ, grow up.

As for your opinion on dog racing, that is just your opinion - nothing more.

Last edited:

Dogs Of War

Coach
The inquiry took 12 months and the decision just happened to come up a few days after the election.
Think about it.Coincidence?
You prosecute the people responsible for the crime.
How many people have they arrested for the slaughter of the greyhounds?

That's what you do prosecute the guilty people you just don't give up and close the industry down.

The problem was that they way they found the offenses was deemed illegal (Hidden video on private property). The government refuses to give the greyhound racing association powers to do hidden video in this style. So no one can be prosecuted, nor can the governing body unearth future offenses cause they will need video to do this.

So it's a no win situation.

Foz

Bench
Doesn't make sense.
If you murder or rob someone they can't prosecute you because it's on hidden video?

Isn't this the guy that sacked the councils?
Why not sack or change the greyhound board?
It's hard for a guy like me to understand.
I have no idea on the politics of this but it seems to me like the government has said they can't control the issue so they close down the industry.
That's a pretty pathetic attitude if it's the case.
Haven't heard what the government will do about the people that lose their jobs either.
You'd imagine there would be even more greyhounds slaughtered (as Timah is saying)as a result of this and this would be a direct result of this decision.

Dogs Of War

Coach
It's the money the govt would need to put in, it's not like the Greyhound association is the best bet.

And with all the other elements aside from the live baiting, like the amount of greyhounds that are destroyed each year, it's not surprising it's come to this.

Look around the world, everybody is banning this sport, it's not just the NSW Govt. I'm sure other states will do the same in the next 10 years.

As for the greyhounds that will be destroyed, some will, and I don't see it happening at any greater rate. Good ones will be transferred interstate. What will happen is that their won't be a need to produce so many greyhounds, so a lot less will be destroyed going forward cause the need for that number is not there. So a bit of a loss in the short term, for a big long term gain.

Good trainers who know how to do things properly will move interstate, or keep there stuff here and just take the best dogs interstate (which may leave part of the problem here).

I love my Dog racing, but if you have been around the industry, you would understand what you are up against. People who will take as many shortcuts as possible to earn a quid.

Foz

Bench
What do you mean by money the govt have to put in?
Betting turnover alone on NSW greyhounds last year was $1.1 billion dollars.
My calculations would be they make between 10 and 15 per cent on turnover alone.Probably towards 15 as there tends to be more outlay on exotics in dog races.
What's the estimate to clean this up?
I haven't heard one word on this.
What's the cost going to be in jobs etc(absolutely nothing's been said on what's happening to those people).
It's a 3 billion dollar industry.
The girl in the local pet food shop gets put off because they no longer can operate as they wont be supplying food for greyhounds anymore.
The truck driver that does the delivery will also be put off.

They may not of even seen what a greyhound looks like.(these are examples and don't tell me I don't know what I'm talking about because I know this situation is going to be very real x about 16 in the coming months)

Meanwhile you can still bet on interstate and NZ greyhounds on the NSW tab.

Dogs Of War

Coach
Have you read the recommendations? From your response I guess not.

The govt would need to do a lot to fix the industry which costs money. With no guarantee it will work.

Thus they decided the easier option is the best one. Close it down.

As for the money on greyhounds turnover wise. They will still make plenty cause other states and nz run races for those that like to punt in them. Not to mention they are always looking at new products and if in the unlikely event that everybody else banned them. Then the void will be filled elsewhere.

Timmah

Staff member
Never voted Liberal in my life and likely never will.

And the opposition disagreeing with a Government decision?

Colour me shocked.

Foz

Bench
Seems a bit strange that you post Mike Bairds Facebook page.

By the way on betting on dogs in other states which was posted.
He's planning to ban that too as the government won't support sports that are cruel to animals.
Says it's a bit hard to work out legalities or something.
I'm sure you'd be able to put that one up Timmah.
Any one got the odds for the UFC bouts next week?

Timmah

Staff member
Seems a bit strange that you post Mike Bairds Facebook page.

By the way on betting on dogs in other states which was posted.
He's planning to ban that too as the government won't support sports that are cruel to animals.
Says it's a bit hard to work out legalities or something.
I'm sure you'd be able to put that one up Timmah.
Any one got the odds for the UFC bouts next week?
His Facebook page was where it was announced, saw someone tweet it that morning and thought it was worth putting it up.

But good work trying to move the goalposts to a different stadium...

Foz

Bench
So why wasn't it a good idea to post the other party's' responses?

Didn't catch the tweets?

Timmah

Staff member
So why wasn't it a good idea to post the other party's' responses?

Didn't catch the tweets?
Correct.

Despite by 91,000-odd posts on here I don't spend every waking minute scanning social media - I happened upon that Baird post on twitter, read the full version on Facebook and posted it here.

If you have the opposition response then by all means post it. I'm not your servant.

Flapper

First Grade
Certainly some scalding hot takes in here.

I guess some people do side with a "niche industry" considering how the Baird government had the biggest fall in net satisfaction in recorded Newspoll history after the greyhound ban, or how the Nationals have had a Fort Knox seat turn into possibly a loss after the greyhound.

Some people were absolute merkins to their dogs. SOME. Much like we don't ban all priests because some forced some altar boys to play with them we don't ban the dogs because some people were cruel. We f**k those merkins up is what we do.

This is just bad policy really and I'm glad it's getting overturned. Not because I'm a cruelty bandit but because it's a quick fix solution from an elitist god botherer who is moralising without thinking about the wider repercussions in the economy.