What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

West Coast Pirates Bid News

taipan

Referee
West Brisbane Hornets and Perth Pirates, followed by Wellington NZ Orcas,and Nthn Bears 2 home games Nth Sydney 6 CC and 4 Sunshine Coast.
No correspondence to be entered into.Like it or lump it.

Marlins

Juniors
West Brisbane Hornets and Perth Pirates, followed by Wellington NZ Orcas,and Nthn Bears 2 home games Nth Sydney 6 CC and 4 Sunshine Coast.
No correspondence to be entered into.Like it or lump it.
WC Pirates & Wellington Orcas should be both next and into the Nrl by 2020.

For SEQLD I would work on making the Coast a top team and have a bigger rivalry with the Broncos first. I still think there is a lot potential on the GC. If the nrl was going to put a second brissy team in i would go with Western Brisbane/Corrioder Jets, North B Dolphins or South B Magpies

First though a Wellington or Christchurch side in the Nsw Cup.

T-Boon

Coach
Agreed, Perth & Wellington by 2020.
But I'd throw Brisbane in by then as well. We need to have a second Brisbane team in now while the Lions are on their knees so as to drive the final dagger in.

Marlins

Juniors
Agreed, Perth & Wellington by 2020.
But I'd throw Brisbane in by then as well. We need to have a second Brisbane team in now while the Lions are on their knees so as to drive the final dagger in.
Wouldn't a big rivalry with the Titans be better at first. Having a 2nd NZ & WA could Create for more talent to come through and acheive a new audience. Having a 2nd brissy side would probably bring in more TV ratings and could probably bring in a decent crowd each week but it wouldn't create new fans like a NZ2, WA side

alien

Referee
There isn't enough talent for more than 16 teams. 3 relocations from Sydney would be best. 1 to Perth, 1 to Adelaide, and 1 to Brisbane, but no club wants to relocate (I don't blame them).

T-Boon

Coach
I use to be apposed to going to 18 teams but I have dropped that
Wouldn't a big rivalry with the Titans be better at first. Having a 2nd NZ & WA could Create for more talent to come through and acheive a new audience. Having a 2nd brissy side would probably bring in more TV ratings and could probably bring in a decent crowd each week but it wouldn't create new fans like a NZ2, WA side

I agree with all of that but I think there is some urgency in bringing in a second Brisbane team because I think Brisbane have a clear advantage over other teams in terms of TPA's and being a one team town in arguably the strongest football town in the world.
A second Brisbane team would also address the feeling that many fans of the game have that Brisbane get preferential treatment (the argument is that there isn't a second Brisbane team because the Broncos and News Ltd won't allow it).
Combine all of that with the opportunity to harm the Brisbane Lions (maybe even fatally) and its a pretty good argument.

Marlins

Juniors
There isn't enough talent for more than 16 teams. 3 relocations from Sydney would be best. 1 to Perth, 1 to Adelaide, and 1 to Brisbane, but no club wants to relocate (I don't blame them).
Relocation is not a good idea ATM. How would RL create more talent, by having more presence in new places and this is by expanding to these places. WA & NZ2 are defentily worth the risk. Having relocated teams to Brisbane & Adl is not good for anyone. WA have a great Competition ATM the third best only behind NSW & QLD with there own team & identiy this would increase Juniors and create a lot more fans. If B was to have a 2nd side they should do it from an existing team not a Sydney side.

jim_57

Staff member

I think this talent argument is a total myth, trotted out by people who want to protect their own interests and it's grabbed hold in the mindset of RL fans.

And if it was truely an issue, we have some major untapped player sources that have barely been looked at/touched by NRL clubs. Mainly PNG with it's 8 million population of RL mad supporters, who have a very meagre offering on NRL players.

As it stand we have 3 major player sources, NSW, QLD & NZ which provide 95% of NRL players. Woth the right support and systems in place the Pacific Islands should be a genuine 4th major source of talent.

I'd be aiming for something like this at club level, next 5-10 years below NRL level to make it a reality
  • PNG Hunters Fielding Junior Teams
  • 2nd PNG Team in QLD Cup
  • Fiji NSW Cup Team & Juniors with links to Vanuatu, Solomon Islands & New Caledonia
  • 3 NZ NSW Cup teams, with links to Samoa, Tonga, Cook Is. & Hawaii

alien

Referee
I think this talent argument is a total myth, trotted out by people who want to protect their own interests and it's grabbed hold in the mindset of RL fans

And if it was truely an issue, we have some major untapped player sources that have barely been looked at/touched by NRL clubs. Mainly PNG with it's 8 million population of RL mad supporters, who have a very meagre offering on NRL players.

The best players in PNG will make the PNG QLD Cup side, and if they are then good enough to play NRL, they will be seen by scouts from NRL clubs.

T-Boon

Coach
I'd be aiming for something like this at club level, next 5-10 years below NRL level to make it a reality
  • PNG Hunters Fielding Junior Teams
  • 2nd PNG Team in QLD Cup
  • Fiji NSW Cup Team & Juniors with links to Vanuatu, Solomon Islands & New Caledonia
  • 3 NZ NSW Cup teams, with links to Samoa, Tonga, Cook Is. & Hawaii

I'd also look at the American College football level. Many of their running back, wide receivers, corner backs, safeties, and overall athletes could make an impact once trained up. Long shot but worth considering.

BuderusIsaBeast

Juniors
I have always found the lack of talent argument to be rubbish. There are a number of quality players running around in the cups who would love an oppurtunity (Shaun Nona, Kato Ottio fof example). Not to mention we have the English Super League, Rugby Union (woudnt it be great to see Folau and SBW back) and untapped countries such as PNG and Fiji. Not to mention the young talent that comes through the 20's every year. Really good players like Kurt Capewell and Fa'amanu Brown struggled to get a game last year. There is plenty of talent we just need to give the an oppurtunity

jim_57

Staff member
The best players in PNG will make the PNG QLD Cup side, and if they are then good enough to play NRL, they will be seen by scouts from NRL clubs.

Very simplistic way to look at it, but you've stated what has already started to happen. As long as the Hunters only field an open age side the results will be minimal, very few players become NRL stars when they aren't recruited until their 20's. 90% of NRL scouting these days would be juniors.

Hence why getting the best juniors from PNG and the Pacific in the spotlight is a key factor as well as open age teams. Get the very best in the NRL, and Super League for that matter, young.

toomuchsoup

Juniors
Has there been any news of expansion at all lately?

The NRL need to get off their arses!

For now, Perth and Brisbane2 are no brainers and should be making plans for NZ2 in the next 5-10yrs

Latest posts