What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

St Des

Coffs dragon

Bench
Maybe Doust and Board have been in talks with Des Hasler about 2018 after his contract expires. Keeping Mary on for 12 month interim whilst all the bricks are put in place. This could now be fast tracked if he gets sacked and Mr Bruce Gordon sees fit to spend big to make big!!!!

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Look I think the following will most likely happen:
Hasler will get sacked and he'll be replaced by Dean Pay. As rich as the Bulldogs club probably are, to pay out Hasler and then spend exactly the same money on someone like Cleary would be unrealistic.
I also think Des won't be at the Dragons next year. The Board has gone to the trouble of appointing this stupid committee and are probably paying these people a salary. After releasing the statement they have, I doubt they'll completely backflip on that. I know when someone becomes available in unexpected circumstances you should always have a look regardless, but I just think the club is too far into this committee thing and sticking by Mary for 2017.

As much as that all sucks.

Forster Dragon

Juniors
Maybe some one who cares, and has the common sense to see the implosion around them with memberships etc, has the foresight to make the decision to move Mary on for the Clubs sake.
If these people of the co called "committee"have any business acumen they will make some firm recommendation now and maybe we can get members to pay up for next year.

Old Timer

Coach
The amount of rumours that surround our club are just a very sad indictment of our current situation.

The successful and well run clubs have very few rumours associated with them and any that are only relate to upgrading of the roster or management etc.

In respect of our club, the rumours are attached to us like limpet mines on a boat about to be blown up and scuttled.

Any rumours that do come true about our club are promoted as upgrades and turn out to be extra ballast which only enable us to sink faster.

For many of our fans our situation is like a horse race.

Every year in their mind we start as the top weight and favourite to finish in the placings.

Unfortunately they forget, every year our horse is always the same horse, it's a gelding running against younger stallions, it's got the same jockey, trainer and race strategy and the only thing that has really changed is the horse is a year older and we decided to put extra weight in the saddle bags.

possm

Coach
Your kidding right? His style of play is very similar to Mary's only he has more rep players on the books and gets slightly more success out of it. Scraped over Mary's team last year in the finals and got flogged this year in game 1 of the finals. And in saying that Saints if it were not for tripping and the refs would have beaten the Dogs in the last game. With the players he has at his disposal, no salary cap, refs and judiciary on his side he still has not won a comp. Pretty embarassing?

Apparently to pay Des out it will cost the Dogs over 1 mil. Dragons can't even afford to pay Mary out and he is on much less.
Lack of funds for the payout of Mary's contract has never been raised by Doust or the Board. The Club has money to attract old boys to a variety of positions within the Club and because the salary of NRL coaches does not fall within a salary cap, sponsors and donors can be involved in sponsoring payments for a coach.

I'd say the Club does have the funds to pay out Mary and would attract support in the effort to fund Haslers salary. Doust learned - a little bit too late - the value of having a top grade coach at the Club.

If Des came on board I think we would finally see the best out of Jack DeBelin.

Des would make him get rid of the "man bun" and go for the "Hasler hair flow" look :cool:

Sh!t, maybe even Mitch Rein would've come good :rolleyes:

The Doc

Juniors
This must have brewing for a while. Was having a chat with a mate and he mentioned Mybe at the time of negotiating his new contract asked for a "coach clause" but the dogs rejected.
He signed anyway, but it makes you think if the dogs were genuine about extending hasler they would not have risked losing Mybe over that clause, especially as they didnt have the luxury of having another gun halfback to fallback on.
Lamb blasted Hasler publicly a few months back, and now Mortimer has done the same.
It looks to me that this has been planned for quiet a while.
Who knows, maybe Mr Gordon will see Hasler as a big positive to his investment in the club and make it happen?

denis preston

First Grade
Maybe Doust and Board have been in talks with Des Hasler about 2018 after his contract expires. Keeping Mary on for 12 month interim whilst all the bricks are put in place. This could now be fast tracked if he gets sacked and Mr Bruce Gordon sees fit to spend big to make big!!!!

That's exactly what was told to me by some Bulldogs supporters weeks ago. I called bullshit on it until this coaching committee scenario came along and then thought it made sense.

If this is the case , we are in the box seat to make it happen a year earlier.

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
How much could Mary's contract be, seriously, 250k, 300k? It surely can't be much more. And they can't afford to pay him out? What's s joke.

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
That's exactly what was told to me by some Bulldogs supporters weeks ago. I called bullshit on it until this coaching committee scenario came along and then thought it made sense.

If this is the case , we are in the box seat to make it happen a year earlier.

I thought Hasler, along with Madge and Robinson would be under pressure this year. Madge might be the first to go next year. And if the rorters miss out on the 8 again, Robbo will be joining him.

dragon-83

Juniors
I have a feeling that the dogs board may decide Hasler will still be coaching the dogs in 2017. They will probably see how the team is traveling mid year before deciding whether he stays or goes but will wait and see.

FlameThrower

Bench
Snow flakes chance in hell of Des coaching Dragons. This Bruce Gorden if he really wanted would have jumped in already paid off the debt and go for Des, this is a one off chance and the window would be small...to act. We've not been known to act quickly and even current backlash from fans and membership woes does not seem to phase the Club.

St Georgio

Juniors
I am sure the dogs board will backflip on Des, for the pure fact we want him, we've had every top player and coach reject us, so they would see this as good thing to keep him going, lets face it McWreckor will be our coach next yr.

Last edited:

Dragons 09

Juniors
The amount of rumours that surround our club are just a very sad indictment of our current situation.

The successful and well run clubs have very few rumours associated with them and any that are only relate to upgrading of the roster or management etc.

In respect of our club, the rumours are attached to us like limpet mines on a boat about to be blown up and scuttled.

Any rumours that do come true about our club are promoted as upgrades and turn out to be extra ballast which only enable us to sink faster.

Agree with you about the amount of rumours OT, but, 90% of the rumours about us emanate right here on this site and the social media rants of our fan base and are then regurgitated by nuffies like the lurker Et Al as being gospel..............we spin the web that catches us a lot of the time.

Last edited:

Gareth67

First Grade
As much as I would like Des at the Dragons I must agree with what St.Georgio and Dragon - 83 have said , can't see the Bullthugs letting him go , at least not until early in the season .

Then , if his team is still not travelling well , then they would more than likely pull the plug.

If the opposite were to occur , and he did sign with the Dragons , then as Doc. said in his post , someone ( possibly Bruce Gordon ? ) may very well have decided to come to the party to protect his future investment with the club by signing a top class coach .
Get Dessie in for 2017 , let him cut out the deadwood during the year , and then in 2018 with the new salary cap , go out and truly be in the hunt for the best players , with Des as coach and the new TPA's that Gordon would bring to the Joint Venture .

The first scenario means that Mc.Gregor will be with us for 2017 - a nightmare .

Whereas the second could possibly be our prayers have been answered .

Last edited:

denis preston

First Grade
Please remember that Mortimer has stated that the board agrees with what he has said so he surely must go. To climb into another job so he can seek vengeance on his former club may be a very attractive preposition.He won't go back to Manly as he hates Penn's guts , particularly that he now has controlling ownership and can't help sticking his nose in.

St Georgio

Juniors
Please remember that Mortimer has stated that the board agrees with what he has said so he surely must go. To climb into another job so he can seek vengeance on his former club may be a very attractive preposition.He won't go back to Manly as he hates Penn's guts , particularly that he now has controlling ownership and can't help sticking his nose in.

Having put up with McWreckor and Chinless for the last 5 years, Hasler would be like the second coming for us, How dumb are the dogs, the dogs have short memories, how were travelling before Hasler arrived.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Doust would have to be mentally unstable not to offer Hasler a contract.
Only problem is if he gets sacked from the Bulldogs, he will get a 1.2mill payout, so it's not like he's going to be short of money next year. He could probably afford to take a year off and come back in 2018 if he wanted to.

Latest posts