What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How does the Draw work

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Anyone know the logic behind how the NRL draw is done?

Last year Saints came 8th and were drawn to play teams who finished 1-7 twice. I am interested to see if the same will apply to the Titans in 2017 as they came 8th in 2016.

Panthers who finished 11th in 2015 played 3 top 8 sides in the Bronco's (2nd in 2015), Roosters (1st) and Sharks (6th) in 2016.So that means Saints should only play 3 top 8 sides twice in 2017.

Going off last years draw logic and where teams finished this season, the Saints will will play Storm, Raiders and Panthers who finished 1,2 and 6 from the top 8 twice. And play 2 games against the Warriors, Manly, Tigers, Roosters and Souths who finished outside the 8 in the same positions as the teams Penrith faced. Which leaves them with 1 game against the 3 QLD teams Bronco's, Cowboys and Titans. More Sydney games next season which is good.

Anyhow we should find out soon I suppose.

Gm5

Juniors
Don't think theres any logic behind it, just random then trying to fit games into stadiums without clashing with allready booked stadium slots. I'm sure a few years ago they had to redo it because of clashes but i could be wrong

Mr Red

First Grade
The draw works badly is the answer.
Any competition where everyone doesn't play everyone an equal amount of times is ridiculous.
The NRL know this ... Hence their desire to expand the competition and get to a point where everyone plays each other once a season..
This will also allow them to move origin to a weekend fixture, and shrink the overall length of the season by a few weeks, which will appease the players, especially those involved in rep football. stupid bye weekends will also be a thing of the past, reverting to all teams getting a break at the exact same time on origin weekends.. Much fairer.

Example 20 team comp...play each other once, 19 weeks.
19 weeks + 3 origin weekends , 22 weeks.

Shave 4 weeks off the regular season which they can use to play international matches, and not have a season continue well towards end of October, which all agree is too long...

The one battle they will have executing this plan is the tv rights, since the NRL have sold their soul to the Tv broadcasters, who want more football on more nights.... Will be interesting to see how it plays out....

Last edited:

Lethal25

Juniors
The draw works badly is the answer.
Any competition where everyone doesn't play everyone an equal amount of times is ridiculous.
The NRL know this ... Hence their desire to expand the competition and get to a point where everyone plays each other once a season..
This will also allow them to move origin to a weekend fixture, and shrink the overall length of the season by a few weeks, which will appease the players, especially those involved in rep football. stupid bye weekends will also be a thing of the past, reverting to all teams getting a break at the exact same time on origin weekends.. Much fairer.

Example 20 team comp...play each other once, 19 weeks.
19 weeks + 3 origin weekends , 22 weeks.

Shave 4 weeks off the regular season which they can use to play international matches, and not have a season continue well towards end of October, which all agree is too long...

The one battle they will have executing this plan is the tv rights, since the NRL have sold their soul to the Tv broadcasters, who want more football on more nights.... Will be interesting to see how it plays out....
When you're not in the drivers seat it's difficult to steer the course.

NRL have sold the game to the broadcasters and there is little chance of an even competition for some time if at all.

Think of Broncos every Friday night, Origin weeks with no rep players in teams, 5 day turnarounds. There is a huge influence these things and many more have on where teams finish on the ladder.

saintjeff

Juniors
I bet we will play roosters,souths,dogs ,broncos , storm sharks twice
More ratings more revenue for the Nrl
4 of the top 8 sides
Fairness goes out the door
Not an easier draw like the pennies titans or raiders got
I hope not to many thursday games
I dont think c9 will put us on friday nights
And good bye to Mondays too
Thankfully

BrissyRedV

Bench
I don't know how they figure out the draw or whether it is random or not but there is a number of certainties for us next season. Firstly, all our marquee games will be played at the big inner city stadiums in the FTA time slots. Our traditional home grounds will receive games against out of town opponents on Thursday nights with maybe a token sharks game at Kogarah. And lastly, with Mary now 100% confirmed to be coach, we will be playing against teams that will be ranked above us for all year except round 1 and maybe newcastle once.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
One of the worst things about the issuance of the draw is existing membership holders are asked to renew prior to knowing what games they will get. They should either extend cutoff for existing members to renew or sort the draw out sooner.
I think the cut off date is around November 3rd. If you don't renew before then, you will lose your seat.

Essentially, the NRL and the Club are telling customers to buy a ticket without knowing the dates or details of the events.

Given the falling crowd figures, it should be a buyer's market. It seems that those responsible are unaware of this.

FlameThrower

Bench
I don't know how they figure out the draw or whether it is random or not but there is a number of certainties for us next season. Firstly, all our marquee games will be played at the big inner city stadiums in the FTA time slots. Our traditional home grounds will receive games against out of town opponents on Thursday nights with maybe a token sharks game at Kogarah. And lastly, with Mary now 100% confirmed to be coach, we will be playing against teams that will be ranked above us for all year except round 1 and maybe newcastle once.
Deduct ...a few thousand of Kogarah judging by the way membership and fan backlash. By default many already boycott ANZ anyway...the draw may kill our season even before a boot is laced up....

BrissyRedV

Bench
Deduct ...a few thousand of Kogarah judging by the way membership and fan backlash. By default many already boycott ANZ anyway...the draw may kill our season even before a boot is laced up....
I'd suggest management's decision to retain Mary and the current structures have already done this before preseason has even commenced. The draw will just confirm it.

theres no scheduling based on positioning of previous year. they do that in the nfl where you play your division games (6 games) play two other divisions once each (8 games) and then two teams in conference who finished in the same position (division winners play two other divison winners etc)
so if you were a good team last season and won yoyr division you will play 4 other division winners and in all likelyhood a few other playoff teams.

nrl. they chuck the teams unto a hat and pull it out. but make sure certain fixtures are always on the calendar twice, (broncos vs cows, derby games etc)
and ensure some games barely get on the calendar.

i believe the clubs nominate a few games they would like at home and some dates.
i know we lobbied for the sunday arvo game at anzac day this year.
the league accomodates that to varying degrees.
then channel nine tells em what games they want and the broncos get friday night footy.

I think the cut off date is around November 3rd. If you don't renew before then, you will lose your seat.

Essentially, the NRL and the Club are telling customers to buy a ticket without knowing the dates or details of the events.

Given the falling crowd figures, it should be a buyer's market. It seems that those responsible are unaware of this.

pretty poor hey.

Old Timer

Coach
The NRL will succumb to the wishes of the media as it is the life blood to keep all these wankers in a job.
Simply put the NRL do not run the comp they do what they are told.
The game is really struggling when a test match is played in Perth, they get a crowd of 20,000 most of whom were Kiwis and they praise the merits of it all.

its 2018 that they hey full control of the draw.
so potentially this is the last total bias season for scheduling

then, only semi bias.

whens that pub game no one will be able to get to coming in? this year?

Mr Red

First Grade
The NRL will succumb to the wishes of the media as it is the life blood to keep all these wankers in a job.
Simply put the NRL do not run the comp they do what they are told.
The game is really struggling when a test match is played in Perth, they get a crowd of 20,000 most of whom were Kiwis and they praise the merits of it all.

The test match was a sellout and had been for many days before the kickoff.
The nib stadium only has a capacity of approx 21k and was sold out.
I think the huge presence of kiwis and to a lesser extent South Africans that live in Perth is one of the key reasons the NRL see Perth as key to expanding.

the problem is though, as seen with the western reds previously , is if the team isn't successful on the field there is a big risk that the crowd support and general interest in the game drops off very quickly....

Old Timer

Coach
The test match was a sellout and had been for many days before the kickoff.
The nib stadium only has a capacity of approx 21k and was sold out.
I think the huge presence of kiwis and to a lesser extent South Africans that live in Perth is one of the key reasons the NRL see Perth as key to expanding.

the problem is though, as seen with the western reds previously , is if the team isn't successful on the field there is a big risk that the crowd support and general interest in the game drops off very quickly....
All of that is quite true but once upon a time the tests would drag 50,000 crowds.
Even when we play England they shop it off to regional areas because the game in general is in death throws let alone expanding.
The entire NRL season is just an avenue to prop up SOO for 3 games which IMO has grown far too big and to the detriment of the club season.
When you get players saying SOO is the pinnacle of their careers there is something terribly wrong.

BringTheNoise

Juniors
With such a reactive governing body and an idiot like Todd Greenberg literally making everything up as he goes along you all should be thankful the NRL is even able to produce a draw.

Mr Red

First Grade
All of that is quite true but once upon a time the tests would drag 50,000 crowds.
Even when we play England they shop it off to regional areas because the game in general is in death throws let alone expanding.
The entire NRL season is just an avenue to prop up SOO for 3 games which IMO has grown far too big and to the detriment of the club season.
When you get players saying SOO is the pinnacle of their careers there is something terribly wrong.

agree in regards to international football having lost its shine. This is due to the NRL IMO robbing international football of its prestige..

- the removal of the iconic kangaroo tour of the UK every 4 years
- ridiculous timing of fixtures... ie international selection and matches BEFORE state of origin.
- "one off" tests like we just saw, having no value.

all of this has aided in the loss of interest in international matches, however the reason the test was played in Perth was more to test the waters in regards to a potential NRL team being based there. And i think a crowd of 21000 would have given the NRL the confidence that Perth may be viable.

if they were simply after a big crowd for a test match they would have got more than 21000 if they played in either Brisbane, Melbourne or even Newcastle.... but that wasnt the underlying reason for playing in Perth..

Latest posts