What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jamie Soward retires

BringTheNoise

Juniors
HIS BIGGEST REGRET

While he started his career with the Roosters in 2005, it was at the Dragons Soward had his greatest success.

After seven years in the Red V and after a very public falling out with the club and then coach Steve Price, he signed a four-year-deal with Penrith before he was forced out of the club and finished 2013 playing in London.

It still bothers him. He never had the chance to say goodbye to the fans and with their 10 year premiership reunion fast approaching, he hopes one day that bridge can be mended.

“I have a lot of regrets there,” he said.

“I should have been allowed to finish the year. How that ended was probably the most disappointing point of my career. I wish I could take that back. It wasn’t handled right.

“I signed a four year deal with Penrith but still no one could question my effort (at the Dragons). The fans knew I was putting in but we weren’t getting the results. Since then they still aren’t getting the results and the pressure is on the players.

“I got made a bit of a scapegoat but I never got to say goodbye to the fans. I would have loved to walk around and said thanks.

“I got ushered out of the club and made to look like the bad guy.

“We have a reunion in three years and I’d love to come back. I made a lot of good friends and I wish I could (say thanks to the fans).”

Read the full article: http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...s/news-story/011d192c0c4e21adf8a4279c4889882b

Dragsters

First Grade
I completely disagree. He shouldn't have been able to finish the year before going to Penrith.

He should have been able to finish his career in the Red V.

Agreed.

Yet another poor decision by the powers that be in what has been along line of them in recent years.

I'm sure he would and should be welcomed back with open arms for the 10 year reunion.

The Chinless one on the other hand I'm not so sure about.

since77

Juniors
Made the scapegoat for the team's failure due to the idiotic decision to appoint Price as coach and the subsequent crap the team dished up afterwards. Its disgraceful our last memory of him is a forlorn figure after missing a kick at the end of a game before he was turfed out.
I'm still dirty about how he was treated and that whole saga is representative of the gross incompetence our board has dished up since 2011.

Gareth67

First Grade
Ditto - to each of the above remarks . He always made plenty of meters with his kicking , and knew how to direct the team around the park , something that has been lacking since his departure . Enjoy your retirement , and I am quite sure that the fans would love to have a beer with you , back at the Taj Mahal .

Last edited:

Coffs dragon

Bench
Sowie was a massive part in our teams 2010 premiership along with Bennett. Without these 2 we would still be waiting over 37 years.......thanks Jamie and you will always be remembered as a proud Dragon that got screwed by the waterboy.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Agreed.

Yet another poor decision by the powers that be in what has been along line of them in recent years.

I'm sure he would and should be welcomed back with open arms for the 10 year reunion.

The Chinless one on the other hand I'm not so sure about.

100% correct.
I will never forget his passion for the red v.
The way he celebrated after the grand final victory.
Also the way he always had time for supporters.
Good luck in retirement sowie as far as Iam concerned you should be welcomed with open arms.

Forster Dragon

Juniors
In my book he was instrumental in our 2010 Grand Final win and if he was not there we would still be waiting.Price and our poor management screwed the guy over and we all know that.
Price and the archaic management should have gone not Sowie.

Dragon Revival

Juniors
I knew a guy that worked on the beer van at
Jubilee Oval and he said that every time he went there Soward was practising his kicking. Price was a goose!

Walpole

Juniors
Soward was a great example of what coaching can do to a player. Without him we might not have won in 2010, his kicking game was sensational. To go from that under a coach who believed in him and gave him firm direction to a shell of that player in 2013 under chinless is one of the sadder falls from grace and I'm sure all Dragons fans would have a soft spot for him.

thebigredv

First Grade
I'd do anything for a prime Soward to be at the Dragons now. How far we've fallen.

Best of luck to a true Dragons champ.