What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

Johns Magic

Referee
500 k is a hell of a lot when it comes to Uate.
Uate was credited as being one of the top wingers in the game when we threw money at him and look where it got us.
Mullen was to be our next god when he joined the comp and look what has happened.
Stockwell, Simms, ... all have had periods where they performed and were locked in.
If we start paying a prospect $500k in the backs then what are the guys we have going to ask for next negotiation.
You reckon Sione is on $500k? He might be close. Here's a kid who played for Australia and hasn't realised that form since.He has, however, ground it out.
We could have easily seen Sione as someone who could turn the club around
Hodkinson and his experience and $600k hasn't done it.

If we want a kid like this then lets nurture young talent up through our own ranks and pray nobody else grabs them.

You are comparing apples and oranges I think mate.

Ponga is a Milford type talent.

He is not a Sione type who got by on being physically strong as a junior. He is a wiry kid with pace and skill to burn.

He plays in a position that can turn the club around. He kicks goals.

At the very least I am comfortable offering the guy 500K. There aren't many decent first-grade fullbacks worth a pinch of shit who are going to be on less than that over the next four years.

If we pay 500K and get only a competent fullback then that was 100% a risk worth taking in my eyes. If we pay 500K and get the next Tedesco we are laughing - and this kid has higher wraps than Tedesco.

BuderusIsaBeast

Juniors
Kalyn Ponga is a once in a generation talent, who I believe is more than worth the money we're throwing at him. However sadly I highly doubt he will come here

If we miss out on Ponga (very likely) I would love us to have a crack at DWZ. Penrith have a number of outside back options and it's no secret he wants to play full back. I believe he is off contract next year aswell

You are comparing apples and oranges I think mate.
I really hope I am.
I'm very cautious about us repeating our past and establishing a precedent.
I'd also love to see us strengthen our lower grades so we can develop talent and keep rolling players through the system long term instead of needing to go into a tortuous rebuild phase.

Alex28

Coach
Ponga is looking at $500,000 a year long term after 2 NRL games.
This is the sort of thing we have done in the past and have regretted it.
I'd rather regret not signing him than repeat the same deals that got us into this position.
If the Storm and the Cowboys are chasing him, it's a sign we are actually getting it right.

If ever we were going to go all in on getting a player here, he should probably be the one.

steven p white

Juniors
I agree with Sherlock, whats the point of signing a rookie fullback who may or may not be the next big thing for such an amount when the players who will be running the show, setting up the play for him on the inside are past it, or play one or two decent games in a season, when they play at all. We need a decent set of halves with some skills and most of all energy to back up passes & kicks they make not stand back & watch, plus enough pace to keep the defence in two minds if they will take on the line or pass. Wouldn't mind a decent centre either with a bit of thrust and power that knows his way to the line rather than running sideways or dancing in circles hoping for a hole to open up.

Think it us us?
Any guess who it is?
"Harbour City" hmmm
Star player set for the punt

Another big-name player is also poised to change clubs – for a very different reason.

The player is into the bookmakers for a six-figure amount due to his love of punting on the ponies and needs money in a hurry.

He has already got a couple of advances out of his current club but they have out their foot down – he’s not getting a cent more.

So he is trying to get a better deal at a rival club – despite the fact he is under contract.

I can’t say who he is – but he’s at an out-of-Sydney club and is talking to a club in the Harbour City.
http://rugbyleagueweek.com.au/moles-monday-scoops-11-22/

perverse

Referee
Sounds like a total load of bollocks to me, but I believe the Harbour City would be referring to Sydney judging by the way that is written.

Ponga is very, very good. I've said that about kids before, though. I'm ready for us to take a punt. We're not going to get an established big name, but this kid could easily be the next Tedesco or better. He might not be, but we don't have a lot to lose. We're better off paying an average fullback 500k than a deporable winger the same amount, and it could work out much, much better.

Last edited:

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
The thing is $500K is pretty much standard for even an average spine player these days, at least Ponga has the potential to be much better than an average spine player. And he'll be getting that kind of coin whether he gets it from us or from someone else.

I feel that the argument in here is very much about what comes first, the chicken or the egg? I.e. Do we shell out money for Ponga without having quality players around him to make him look good? Or do we wait and try and buy a couple of better playmakers and then look to fill the fullback spot with someone like Ponga?

Either way it's quite hard to see how we can attract good players without being in the market for them. I.e. If we were to get Ponga then that would send a message that we're serious about building a long term spine that can be very good and we may get other players attracted to the club because they want to be part of that. If we don't do that and sit and wait and wait and wait then it's less and less likely that we're going to attract a star player because we won't have anything major to show from our recruitment efforts.

Even if we offered the most money for him, at such a young age surely he would be looking at a club in a better position than us?

The only way he would come here is if our recruiting staff have some ridiculously good marketing gimmick to lure him in. I'm not too sure how they could polish that turd enough to get him, we don't have world class players, staff or facilities like other clubs.

I could be wrong, I hope I am, I just don't see him coming here.

mozza91

Coach
Great to hear. The club has to be commended for the way they've gone about approaching and hopfully signing him. The pitch has been smart and professional which aren't things that we've ever really been able to say about our recruitment. It seems that Mooney is making a huge difference .

http://rugbyleagueweek.com.au/knigh...09696985738208&adbpl=fb&adbpr=110919635615955

WOODEN spooners Newcastle are preparing for a multi-million dollar raid on premiers Cronulla.

In a move that will rock the game, the Knights have targeted Sharks stars Jack Bird and Valentine Holmes for 2018.

Both players are under contract to the Sharks for next season and will play out their term at the premiers.

But Newcastle has made the duo their top priority for the following season and will throw them long-term offers in the vicinity of $1 million a season each.

Bird had a sensational rookie season in 2015 and backed that up with another great year in 2016, helping he Sharks to their maiden title.

His ability to play almost anywhere in the backline makes him a valuable asset.

Holmes is also adept at playing several spots, and while he starred at wing for the Sharks, prefers to play fullback and is likely to be offered that spot by the Knights.

Under NRL rules, clubs were able to open talks with players for 2018 on November 1 and it is believed informal discussions have already been held.

Swarzey

Bench
Can literally everyone in the media get in the sea? This f**king teasing of signing quality talent is too much damn it.

perverse

Referee
Now Hannant has retired the Cows will have more money to retain Ponga
If it comes down to just money, we are in the box seat I would say, regardless of who the Cowboys let go or keep. We can't do any better than to position ourselves as the best option for him if he chooses to leave the Cowboys. It's looking like we've managed to do that. If he's a country kid, which he seems to be, then that will only play in our favour moreso.

I also assume we'll drop our interest in Holmes if we get Ponga. Pretty bold to still go hard after Holmes after Barba is gone from the Sharks. I like it, even if the thinking is fanciful at best. Glad we're chasing Jack Bird... he's the right Bird to get. I've noticed that Greg Bird has completely and utterly fallen off the radar lately. Fantastic.

Mooney may well have statues outside half of the NRL stadiums by the time he retires at this rate. What a machine.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
It's good that we're looking to throw money at players at the right end of their careers for once. Either Bird or Holmes would be excellent buys, both are young and have just broken into rep football this year and would be an immediate improvement to our backline.