What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kalyn Ponga

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Offer him a serious amount of money and a full time fullback spot in first grade.
I love Dufty, I think he's an amazing talent, but Ponga is the future Australian fullback without a doubt. Would it be so rash to try and get him to sign an early release from the Cowboys to join us next year?
He's not getting the spot ahead of Coote so he may as well join a club that is willing to offer him that fullback role and a lot of money. Dufty can play on the wing or make a transition to 5/8. I just think a kid like this is too good to pass up.
4 years, 700,000 a season. Make it happen Doust.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
$700k for 4 years for a kid who has 2 NRL games under his belt?
No thanks.

Look Doc, I agree it's a lot of money for a player with such little experience, but think of it as an investment in the future. Besides, the cap is due to rise over the next few seasons.
He wants a long term contract and a fullback spot, I say just give the kid what he wants, he's going to be good enough.

The Doc

Juniors
Look Doc, I agree it's a lot of money for a player with such little experience, but think of it as an investment in the future. Besides, the cap is due to rise over the next few seasons.
He wants a long term contract and a fullback spot, I say just give the kid what he wants, he's going to be good enough.
I understand where your coming from. But... what happens if he struggles in first grade? Your stuck paying someone $700k a year for 4 years.
Its way to early in this kids career for that kind of money.
Many people are saying Dufty is a future rep fullback... yet many also believe its too early to say as he hasnt proven himself in first grade yet.
Same applies to Ponga.... way too early to be paid that amount, especially for 4 years.
Thats just my opinion though.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
I understand where your coming from. But... what happens if he struggles in first grade? Your stuck paying someone $700k a year for 4 years.
Its way to early in this kids career for that kind of money.
Many people are saying Dufty is a future rep fullback... yet many also believe its too early to say as he hasnt proven himself in first grade yet.
Same applies to Ponga.... way too early to be paid that amount, especially for 4 years.
Thats just my opinion though.

I think you're going to see player's salaries raising quite a bit with the cap upgrades in the next few years, especially quality players. 700,000 a season is the new 500,000 a season sort of thing.
I share your thoughts about the 'what ifs' and you're right it's a huge risk, but if ever there was a kid to bank those risks on, it's Kalyn Ponga IMO. The games he has played he was awesome, and that was on the wing, at 18 years old. I just can't imagine the sort of future this kid will have in the game.
If we don't get him, I hope a struggling club like the Knights gets him. He's the sort of player you build a team and future around.

SaintElroy

Juniors
Courier fail reporting knights have offered 3mill over 5 years so you aren't far off Tom. Massive gamble at that age. One cruel injury and the kids career could be over before it starts.

The Doc

Juniors
I think you're going to see player's salaries raising quite a bit with the cap upgrades in the next few years, especially quality players. 700,000 a season is the new 500,000 a season sort of thing.
I share your thoughts about the 'what ifs' and you're right it's a huge risk, but if ever there was a kid to bank those risks on, it's Kalyn Ponga IMO. The games he has played he was awesome, and that was on the wing, at 18 years old. I just can't imagine the sort of future this kid will have in the game.
If we don't get him, I hope a struggling club like the Knights gets him. He's the sort of player you build a team and future around.
You said it urself TRR... he was a standout on the wing.
So was Kurt Mann... and he struggled at fullback.
No matter how much the cap increases, it will never be enough to justify $700k on an untried rookie at fullback at NRL level in my opinion.
Id rather gamble on dufty for 1/7th of what your saying to throw at ponga.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
A massive gamble indeed, but I actually think it's a smart offer from the Knights. Think about it, if the kid continues on this trajectory, in two or three years he could be a million dollar a year player. So by offering him 5 years at 600,000 it almost balances itself out. Yes it's a lot of money for the first couple of years, but when he hits 21 he'll be flying already, and if the Knights sign him on a three year contract, there will be clubs swooping in when he's off contract to offer him a lot more than 600,000 a season. It's smart. A gamble, but the percentages are in the Knights favour. They'll have a million dollar player playing for almost half that when he's 23.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
You said it urself TRR... he was a standout on the wing.
So was Kurt Mann... and he struggled at fullback.
No matter how much the cap increases, it will never be enough to justify $700k on an untried rookie at fullback at NRL level in my opinion.
Id rather gamble on dufty for 1/7th of what your saying to throw at ponga.

Kurt Mann is not even half the player that Ponga is and will be. He's solid, sure, but Ponga will be a superstar.
You're right, 700k is a bit much haha I may have overestimated a little there. But what the Knights have offered him, that's smart.

SaintElroy

Juniors
Kids a gun in more than one sport, a true athlete. All the best to him and the knights. They need the luck to go their way, they have had a tough run. Hope it works out for both parties.

Gm5

Juniors
Look what happened with Sione Matautia, merkin played a handful of games then made the Aus team and has been in reserve grade since

Offer him a serious amount of money and a full time fullback spot in first grade.
I love Dufty, I think he's an amazing talent, but Ponga is the future Australian fullback without a doubt. Would it be so rash to try and get him to sign an early release from the Cowboys to join us next year?
He's not getting the spot ahead of Coote so he may as well join a club that is willing to offer him that fullback role and a lot of money. Dufty can play on the wing or make a transition to 5/8. I just think a kid like this is too good to pass up.
4 years, 700,000 a season. Make it happen Doust.

Are you his manager? If so, I suggest a different approach. The fans don't seem to hold much sway around here.

Look what happened with Sione Matautia, merkin played a handful of games then made the Aus team and has been in reserve grade since

Sione has pretty much played every game in first grade when not injured. Sione was also our best player this year after switching to the 2nd row.

Bench
Sione has pretty much played every game in first grade when not injured. Sione was also our best player this year after switching to the 2nd row.
There are a bunch of players who excelled in the under 20's but failed at the higher grade.

mobels

Juniors
Apparently signed a 5 year deal worth 3.5 mil with the Knights.

No rookie is worth that much even if they are 'hyped' up to be the second coming of Jonathan Thurston. Their's way to many risks involved in signing a rookie on that high amount of cash.

Latest posts