What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is our best forward pack ?

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Do you often feel the need to respond and advocate on the behalf of others?

Apparently so.

I'm certain "BennyV" is quite capable of looking after himself independently.

Speaking of planets, I'd rather be where In currently located instead of Uranus (as you have a proclivity to espouse nonsense out of yours a fair bit).

I'm perfectly aware BennyV can take care of himself, he's a big boy. I just turn my nose up at people like you who try to take the moral ground in disputes by talking down to people using obnoxiously sophisticated language when it is so... SO unnecessary.

Let's get back to talking footy. I'll start by addressing your earlier points.
If you truly believe the versatility of Marketo to be invaluable, yet you write off Vaughan as a reserve grader, your perception of ability is clearly deluded.
Vaughan was being tipped for Origin and Australia in 2015. He had a year plagued with injury this year, not to mention it was made pretty clear that Vaughan and Ricky Stuart didn't see eye to eye, hence why he spent time in reserve grade.
With Vaughan at full fitness he is a phenomenal footballer, that much is obvious.
Mcinnes is a massive upgrade on Rein and I believe with the chance to cement a full time Hooker position he could be something special. He's tenacious, fast out of dummy half and incredibly tough.

Marketo tries really hard, granted, but he is so vanilla it's ridiculous. Just because a player has versatility, doesn't mean they're good enough. He's too small and far too predictable. Offers nothing in attack and in defence is easily replaceable.

Gareth67

First Grade
All are great packs , the good news for the fans next year , is regardless of what pack starts the game , we will always have plenty of size on the field . So tired of watching our smaller pack ( which tried their best ) over the last few seasons , being pushed around by the much larger teams , and as a result eventually tiring because of their efforts .

At the very least we will hold our own in the forwards , giving our backs every chance to show their attacking skills .

Last edited:

Willow

Assistant Moderator
OK, back on topic...

K Ryan, K Kearney, C Young
N Provan G Tallis
J Raper

Bench: Noone

The Doc

Juniors
We can pick and choose our pack all we like... but lets remember who the master coach is!!!
The pack in round 1(and 2 and 3 and 4 etc) will be:
AhMau
McInness
Packer
Frizz
Thompson
JDB

Bench: Marketo, Mathews, Simms, Mcrone

TomRedVRiver

Bench
We can pick and choose our pack all we like... but lets remember who the master coach is!!!
AhMau
McInness
Packer
Frizz
Thompson
JDB

If Coyne has any power, he would be breathing down McGregor's neck with this sort of shit.
You're so right though. I can't even tell you how many veins I burst during the season when McGregor would only play Frizell for like 50 or 60 minutes and replace him with Marketo or Matthews. It's not like the guy played 80 minutes at lock in Origin and was one of the best players of the series or anything.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
All great players SF.

No surprise that Raper and Provan are usually selected without question.

BennyV

Referee
You're both a sophist and a bigot.

(and, not a whole lot in between)

Your predictable riposte will no doubt, be exhilarating (or should that be 'exasperating'?).

Moving on now.
Cute. Really cute.

I could ask you to specify where I displayed any attributes of a sophist or a bigot, but I'd wager my mortgage that you couldnt come up with either, much like your inability to properly justify Marketo in your team.

Your style of arguing is scarily like Vasilevsky - you lack any content or substance to your arguments, you fail to justify your position and you attempt to mask this by making personal attacks using what you believe is sophisticated language. However, many of your references and labels are obscure, out-of-context or simply wrong. Vas's favourite was 'vis-a-vis', looks like 'tautology' and 'bigot' will be at the top of your google search in the near future. Enjoy.

roach_83

Juniors
I'd be happy with that as well.

Friz played very well in the middle in his reply footy.
Friz does play well where ever you put him I reckon tariq needs to be in the middle (like another prop) so he gets more involved, if he plays out in the edge he tends to get abit lazy

Uplifting

Juniors
AhMau
McInness
Packer
Frizz
Thompson
JDB

Sad but probably true. On the upside however, another probable truth is, if Mary doesn't change he'll be gonski.

Im with you and everyone else really, I'm keen to see a new blend of players throughout the starting team who will bringing their unique qualities together and work to get new result.

Uplifting

Juniors
I think the 2015 pack was strong. The only points that standout to me are:

- giving away size by playing Thompson
- playing JDB as a slow moving playmaker in attack. He can pass the ball and does create opportunities but there are other big men who have a more natural approach. I think he should stick to his real strength, defence and just do his best to run good hard lines.
- Ah Mau just looked to be overtired in some games. Hopefully he'll freshen up for the new season and be rested when it's needed. Or possibly play him on the edge again, we all know he has great footwork.

Last edited: