What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Early predictions for season 2017!

5starcognac

Juniors
The one thing you can be sure of, it will continue to gain momentum on social and mainstream media. No doubt. It is out there now.
Unfortunately so, but the only dickheads who want to talk about this crap are those whose teams aren't about to head into a big year like we are!!! We have footy to discuss.

Blues Riff

Bench
The little bitch started a thread on the subject in the NRL section yesterday.
f**kin' laughable from a Parra supporter.

Blues Riff

Bench
Haha .... back to the thread. I predict ...

*Rhynob will visit often.

*We will beat Melbourne for the first time in .....How long?

Kilkenny

Coach
Assuming the release of Chris Grevsmuhl is confirmed that will leave two vacancies in our top 25 NRL squad. It will be interesting to see who fills the two vacant spots assuming the come from within our own NSW Cup ranks. Quite a few possibilities. You would have to think Chris Grevsmuhl would have been on a reasonable mid range contract. Whether it frees up much cap space or simply relieves a little bit of cap pressure is another thing.

Kilkenny

Coach
Is May in the top 25?

No.

At this stage it is Akauola, Blake, Browne, Campbell Gillard, Cartwright, Cleary, Fisher Harris, Hiku, Kikau, Latu, Leota, Mansour, Maire-Martin, McKendry, Merrin, Moylan, Peachy, Rein, Tamou, Wallace, Whare, DWZ and Yeo which is 23 players, I have left Grevsmuhl out.

If Kikau could get fully fit and injury free he could be a relevation as a wide running back rower of the bench. Played a lot of centre with the Cowboys in NYC so is very mobile to compliment his obvious size..

Last edited:

Kilkenny

Coach
1. Moylan. 2. DWZ. 3. Blake. 4. Peachy. 5. Hiku. 6. TMM. 7. Cleary. 8. Tamou. 9. Wallace. 10. Latu. 11. Yeo. 12. Cartwright 13. Merrin.

14. JFH. 15. RCG. 16. Kikau. 17. Browne/Akauola/Leota/McKendry.

maple_69

Bench
What happening with Grevsmuhl?

If he's gone, I agree with that side. I'd probably switch Latu and RCG just for play style but it's a toss up. I also think that last spot should ultimately be a hooker. Either Rein or the other options if they fire.

Kikau is the guy I most want to fire from outside the top side atm. His skillset is something we just don't have right now.

maple_69

Bench
Worth noting that we are either 2nd/3rd with bookies right now and Moylan is 3rd/4th favourite for the Dally M. So top 4/GF is around about the mark in terms of expectations for us.

murraymob

Coach
What happening with Grevsmuhl?

If he's gone, I agree with that side. I'd probably switch Latu and RCG just for play style but it's a toss up. I also think that last spot should ultimately be a hooker. Either Rein or the other options if they fire.

Kikau is the guy I most want to fire from outside the top side atm. His skillset is something we just don't have right now.
grevs is confirmed as gone and gus has said we are not looki8ng at a replacement from outside the club

Fibroman

First Grade
Panthers official website updated with the various members of the NRL, NSW Cup and NYC squads.

No real surprises in the NRL squad although interesting Viliame Kikau is part of the 24 named thus far. One spot left and note on Gus Gould's twitter he indicates the last remaining spot is up for grabs so to speak.

Interesting reading the answers to the 'Goal for 2017' from the NSW Cup player where the responses not surprisingly are to make 'NRL debut'. We will have to have a horrendous run of injuries for most to achieve there dream given the strength of our top squad.

Seriously, we really do have quality and depth in our forward pack with players at the peak of there powers and host of the younger forwards all of whom are likely to improve even further in 2017.

The loss of Josh Mansour is massive. There is no one in our squad who can perform to anywhere near his level so there will be some short term pain until his return in June / July if all goes well with his rehabilitation.

My strongest 17 for Round 1 at this early stage, with pre season training only having just commenced and assuming no further long term injuries (granted there will most likely be injuries during the pre season as there almost always is) is;

1. Moylan. 2. DWZ. 3. Blake. 4. Peachy. 5. Hiku. 6. TMM. 7. Cleary. 8. Tamou. 9. Wallace. 10. Merrin. 11. Yeo. 12. JFH. 13. Cartwright. 14. Latu. 15. RCG. 16. Grevsmuhl. 17. Browne.

I can't move Peachy out of the centres after what he showed in the second half of 2016 so no spot for Dean Whare. Likewise Blake who I expect to have a great 2017 if he stays fit and healthy.

Let's get the talk started!!!!!!

Have another wine buddy. Whare should be in front of Blake and Merrin starting prop???????

mxlegend99

Referee
Why should Whare be infront of Blake? He hasn't played in 2 years and Blake has deceloped a lot in that time.

We have no idea what to expect from Whare anymore.

franklin2323

Immortal
Why should Whare be infront of Blake? He hasn't played in 2 years and Blake has deceloped a lot in that time.

We have no idea what to expect from Whare anymore.

Whare is my favourite player full strength though he shouldn't be in the team. To cover Mansour he should be next picked. How they line up is the question for me

5starcognac

Juniors
The bottom line is that if Hiku and Whare remained fit they would both be just getting home from the UK right now, but Blake did a great job at the back end of this season its a hard one to call.
We are blessed with talent,that is for certain.

franklin2323

Immortal
Hiku wouldnt have been in that squad. Whare definitely. But Hiku misses out for mine.

Yep Whare was the best centre in the game before his injury. Hiku has yet to find his actual position yet and we weren't exactly lighting up the comp when he was in the team. Blake and Whare should both be in the team. Pre season will determine whether Peachey starting over Hiku is better for the team.