What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Picking a New #7

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Alright friends, due to the very tragic and unfortunate injury to Hutchison, I thought it might be nice to discuss the pros and cons to the current halves we have in our squad and also potential halves on the market we could look at.
I'll start...

Shaun Nona
Pros -
Provides an X factor to the team and can potentially break a game wide open.
Has had all sorts of praise by Demitriou and other members of coaching staff.
Cons -
Not a natural halfback.
Can be very inconsistent.
Is 26 and still hasn't broken into first grade as of yet (there is a reason for that)

Kurt Mann
Pros -
An incredibly gifted natural footballer.
Has played in the halves before in his juniors and was successful there.
Natural vision and speed.
Cons -
Although this is also a positive for him, the fact that he hasn't played halves since juniors is also a negative.
Kicking game comes under question.
Organising the troops could come under question for him as well.

Josh McCrone
Pros -
Very experienced
Seems to have a good rapport with the players
Cons -
Not consistent
Not really a great player at all if i'm honest.
Should be a last resort

Jai Field
Pros - Incredibly dynamic.
Has proven in 20s he's a match winner
Amazing speed, vision and ball playing skills.
Cons -
Very young and lacking a little bit of size (I don't think this is a huge problem)
Hasn't played properly against men just yet.
Hasn't experienced the physicality of the game in first grade.

Coffs dragon

Bench
Great summary Tom RVR, but IMO I would definitely give Kurt Mann the opportunity. He just looks a real footballer with instinct and has experience in 1st grade.
Nona for me would only excel under Jason Demetriou and his fresh style, under Mary & Hornby's set plays.....he'll drown!!!!
McCrone.....no way or we're in big trouble.
Field needs some Cutters experience with the big boys then give him a run much later in the season with an eye towards 2018.

Outlaw Pete

Juniors
exactly what is the problem with hasting ? why does no one like him ? i was under the impression we wanted to keep him at StG 2 years ago.

Carlton

Juniors
One of the advantages of Mann not mentioned was that he is probably the strongest defender out of all the options and is deceptively strong. For a half he is actually very robust yet is still quick and agile.

McCrone does not have the speed and agility needed and together with Nona are not the future. They are stop gap options at best, I would prefer us to look for the players that can take the team into the future. Nona has had chances but has been unable to show the commitment and dedication to take it the next level.

Jai Field is potential plus but I think he probably needs to be eased into playing the top grade. I know some posters have indicated size doesn't matter. I disagree, you don't have to be a monster but you do have to have enough size and strength to avoid injury. At the moment he doesn't look like he has quite the right muscle bulk or tone. PS: we're not talking a lot but 5kg more of hard muscle would make all the difference.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Millward has indicated that we won't be chasing anyone else on the market unless someone becomes available. That means no Carney, Sandow or Hastings.
Ben Hunt however could be a different story. The club should try and poach him from the Broncos for next year. Every other club doesn't seem to have a problem pulling players out of contracts.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Great summary Tom RVR, but IMO I would definitely give Kurt Mann the opportunity. He just looks a real footballer with instinct and has experience in 1st grade.
Nona for me would only excel under Jason Demetriou and his fresh style, under Mary & Hornby's set plays.....he'll drown!!!!
McCrone.....no way or we're in big trouble.
Field needs some Cutters experience with the big boys then give him a run much later in the season with an eye towards 2018.

I like it
Mybe you and tom sould be choosing the team.
The other option for me would be.
Move widdop to 7 and play nona at 6.
But would like to see them have a run in trails as well

hewi

Bench
Hastings, Sandow, Carney all trouble not worth the effort.
Field, I have concerns with playing a smaller person who is not physically fully developed. Wouldn't want to see a long term career ruined by going into first grade to early.
Nona, agreed has the X factor and a great kicking game.
I'd like to see Mann at half Nona at 5/8 in the trials.

Dragon Revival

Juniors
Dufty is also a possibility at half. However my first choice would be Mann. Herbert should also not be ignored. These three players all have good all round games. They all would be faster than Marshall and have good attacking games with good passes to supports.

kit66

Bench
I'd give Nona first crack and have Mann as back up and Field getting a taste with the Cutters.

emu62

Juniors
Pros & Cons.

Pros- Nona,Mann,Field
Cons- McWrecker

All these players have strengths & weaknesses as do all.If McWrecker could actually devise a game plan to complement his own players strengths we might go allright

Bench
It is being said that Bennett will release him if approached, there is an option

Latest posts