What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New State Cups Announce

siv

First Grade
Ok after reading more into it, I think they are making a mistake. I think they should keep the NYC how it is, so the Under 20s level remains strong. Having double the teams just makes that level weaker, which is why I believe there should also be a proper Reserve Grade comp that has every NRL club in it. NSW Cup and QLD Cup should still exist, but they should be third grade comps.

In NSW 11 or the NSW Cup clubs will be directly aligned with a NRL club and still act like a RG team. 12 if you include the Warriors

The other 4 clubs don't have a chance

Wests-Tigers and St George-Illawarra dumped the two club model

NSW Cup Clubs can't survive without a affiliation in NSW. The other 4 clubs dont stand a chance

36 NRL contracted players mean if you take 19 out you still have 17 players. Thats a full team on fulltime money and training

The other 4 Clubs on $100k NSWRL grants dont stand a chance

siv

First Grade
New model already off to a 4ocky start

CQ Cabras in finacial difficulty and no U20s matches played yet

Windsor not only not playing NSW Cup but also pulled out of RM Cup

franklin2323

Immortal
Qld Cup have NRL teams share players across 3 teams

You nominate your prefered club

Benji is struggling with choosing his Qld Cup feeder club at the moment

works for them. Why would a Penrith Junior want to play for another team outside of the district if they don't have to? Seem strange

kbw

Bench
Lol, Roosters wouldn't pass the criteria then.

Considering $ouff$ were thinking of not running a 20s anyway and could not raise the million dollars unless they borrow it from Souiffs Juniors. I think the Roosters would qualify befor the vermin

CC_Roosters

First Grade
NSWRL press release re: Blacktown workers

The NSWRL Board today approved an application by Blacktown Workers that will see the club enter the state's premier competition, Intrust Super Premiership NSW, for the first time in its 52-year history in 2017.

The western Sydney-based club has formed a partnership with the Manly Warringah Sea Eagles, with the agreement resulting in the club fielding teams in all three NSWRL senior competitions - Sydney Shield, Ron Massey and Intrust Super Premiership NSW.

All three teams will be play under the banner of Blacktown Workers Sea Eagles, with the home ground being H.E. Laybutt Field at the Blacktown Workers Club.

The partnership will provide a pathway for Blacktown players into the NRL as a feeder club for the Sea Eagles.

NSWRL Head of Football, BJ Mather, said the NSWRL Board was satisfied with the application which enables Blacktown Workers to realise a foundation goal from 1964 to have a team in the state's elite competition.

"It's great for the game that a club with the history like Blacktown wants to make a significant investment into the pathways of Rugby League," Mather said.

Blacktown Workers President, Keith Cochran, is delighted with the partnership.

"It will be a great boost for Rugby League in the district to have players with NRL experience training and playing with our locally grown products," Cochran said.

"Manly is an iconic club and the most successful of the modern era. To link up with them is an opportunity too good to miss."

Sea Eagles Chairman, Scott Penn, said today: "The Sea Eagles are delighted to be partnering with Blacktown Workers on a combined Intrust Super Premiership NSW team for the 2017 season. This significantly enhances our pathways project to supplement our existing structure with a newly formed feeder club arrangement."

So what happens to pathways on the northern beaches? as far as I can see this only makes it harder for kids on the northern beaches and North shore to make it to the NRL and what form will the Manly underage sides take, that it U16, U18 and especially u20?. Canberra and mounties, Manly and Blacktown, Melbourne and sunshine Coast. the way this is going an U18 draft would be preferable, all we are seeing is the complication of pathways and abandonment of areas put in the demographic too hard basket.

Also Blacktown sandwiched between Parramatta and Penrith so their are 2 relatively close pathways for juniors to follow for as far as they choose, as well as other ISP, RMC, SS setups in Wenty and St marys not a million miles away.

siv

First Grade
Seems the NSW Cup blueprint only has 12 teams over 24 rounds

And U20s over 20 rounds

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Just to emphasise how far they have to go to de-centralise the NSW cup/southern league or whatever they call it as promised

2017 line-up
Warriors, Newcastle, Wyong, Illawarra, North Sydney, Newtown, Wenworthville, Mounties, Penrith, Wests tigers, Canterbury, Blacktown

So that's 8/12 from Sydney metro and of those 6/12 from western Sydney LGA's.

Does anyone else feel that there will be massive resistance to the NRL's de-centralisation plan and ultimately it will not happen?

It won't happen because there are no teams outside of that area capable or even interested in hosting a team and it will cost a shit load. All the NRL's money is now tied up in propping up increasingly expensive clubs and an increasingly expensive staff.

BuderusIsaBeast

Juniors
These NSW Cup plans look terrible to me and seem like we will end up with something worse then what we had before. I was under the impression the NSW Cup would be moving to a QLD Cup type setup which i fully support.

However this looks like a random mix and match of NRL teams still having reserve grade teams, heavy representation in some areas and no representation in others. There appears to be no geographical spread and it looks like it will be very hard to integrate against strong opposition.

As Siv said if only some of the NSW Cup teams have access to NRL players we will see crickey scores on a regular basis. I was also under the impression the 20's was costing to much money. Yet know we have a NSW Cup with planned teams from NZ, Fiji and even WA.

I would prefer every NRL team have a reserve grade and under 20's team than this structure. Biggest problem is making sure the Queensland Cup remains strong as it's not there fault the NSW Cup can't get it's self together

siv

First Grade
The way Qld Cup is structured it would survive with or without National RG and National U20s

Problem is the hodge podge arrangement in NSW

Where it has become a defacto Western Sydney competition

Not true reserve grade even though its full of players 18 to 36 from NRL squads

And not a NSW Cup as too many districts across the state are not represented like they are in Qld

All we have is old 1908 to 1924 style second grade competition

Waiting to evolve

The only way NSW Cup will work in NSW is for NRL clubs to be part of National RG.

johnny plath

Juniors
Just to emphasise how far they have to go to de-centralise the NSW cup/southern league or whatever they call it as promised

2017 line-up
Warriors, Newcastle, Wyong, Illawarra, North Sydney, Newtown, Wenworthville, Mounties, Penrith, Wests tigers, Canterbury, Blacktown

Does anyone else feel that there will be massive resistance to the NRL's de-centralisation plan and ultimately it will not happen?
In Queensland a decentralised model seems less of a problem because the state is actually largely decentralised... decent size population centres all the way down the coast with well established leagues and pathways from Cairns to Tweed heads, and Toowoomba inland. NSW just seems much more centralised around Sydney than Qld is around Brisbane - how big are the centres outside of the Newcastle to Woolongong strip. Are there any regional centres big enough to support a State League team, even if you could iron out the little problem of players versing NRL contracted opposition week in and out.

rightleftin

Juniors
These NSW Cup plans look terrible to me and seem like we will end up with something worse then what we had before. I was under the impression the NSW Cup would be moving to a QLD Cup type setup which i fully support.

However this looks like a random mix and match of NRL teams still having reserve grade teams, heavy representation in some areas and no representation in others. There appears to be no geographical spread and it looks like it will be very hard to integrate against strong opposition.

As Siv said if only some of the NSW Cup teams have access to NRL players we will see crickey scores on a regular basis. I was also under the impression the 20's was costing to much money. Yet know we have a NSW Cup with planned teams from NZ, Fiji and even WA.

I would prefer every NRL team have a reserve grade and under 20's team than this structure. Biggest problem is making sure the Queensland Cup remains strong as it's not there fault the NSW Cup can't get it's self together

That is not correct. All 12 clubs in the NSW Cup have NRL players available every week. In its first 2 seasons Wyong was an independent club and while it finished at the bottom in the first season it had a middle position in its second, and then it went into a JV with the Roosters.

BuderusIsaBeast

Juniors
That is not correct. All 12 clubs in the NSW Cup have NRL players available every week. In its first 2 seasons Wyong was an independent club and while it finished at the bottom in the first season it had a middle position in its second, and then it went into a JV with the Roosters.

I'm not talking about the current state of the comp, I am talking about the future plan to expand the NSW Cup to 16 teams.

rightleftin

Juniors
I'm not talking about the current state of the comp, I am talking about the future plan to expand the NSW Cup to 16 teams.

OK. Hard to see how they could find 4 more clubs. You could have Albury linked to the Storm but that means all non QLD NRL sides are covered unless Tweed Heads switch to NSW. Fiji would aim to replicate the efforts of the PNG Hunters.

Wyong proved by their top 6 position in their second season that independent clubs can compete with NRL based players but only if they have the dollars and the desire. Clubs like Newcastle Wests and Illawarra Collegians might be able to do it but presumably the Knights and St George would then fold their sides into these clubs so 16 looks a bridge too far.

Last edited:

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Forget about national reserve grade imo, all it does is stockpile players in the 16 current clubs
OK. Hard to see how they could find 4 more clubs. You could have Albury linked to the Storm but that means all non QLD NRL sides are covered unless Tweed Heads switch to NSW. Fiji would aim to replicate the efforts of the PNG Hunters.

Wyong proved by their top 6 position in their second season that independent clubs can compete with NRL based players but only if they have the dollars and the desire. Clubs like Newcastle Wests and Illawarra Collegians might be able to do it but presumably the Knights and St George would then fold their sides into these clubs so 16 looks a bridge too far.

A proper funded NZ side out of Christchurch or Wellington has been discusses before for the NRL and the Christchurch mob have specifically talked about second tier entry so there is a potential club there. maybe the Nrl will encourage the west coast to make a move as part of a long term vision for an Nrl side. it's not impossible, but the de-centralisation from Sydney will be hard.

Their press release mentioned each nrl side being linked to two second tier sides. Hard to see how that will work as it would mean the likes of Brisbane givin up its affiliation with some of the metro Q-cup sides to take up options with sydney clubs.

siv

First Grade
Forget about national reserve grade imo, all it does is stockpile players in the 16 current clubs

A proper funded NZ side out of Christchurch or Wellington has been discusses before for the NRL and the Christchurch mob have specifically talked about second tier entry so there is a potential club there. maybe the Nrl will encourage the west coast to make a move as part of a long term vision for an Nrl side. it's not impossible, but the de-centralisation from Sydney will be hard.

Their press release mentioned each nrl side being linked to two second tier sides. Hard to see how that will work as it would mean the likes of Brisbane givin up its affiliation with some of the metro Q-cup sides to take up options with sydney clubs.

Dual affiliations are nice in principal

But non Qld clubs have not supported the concept as it was too costly

Eg St George and Illawarra merged at NSW Cup level

Balmain first merged with Ryde-Eastwood and then was merged with Wests

Souths let go of their Brisbane Easts association to focus their team with Norths

It seems to work in Qld but I am not sure for how much longer

franklin2323

Immortal

2017 line-up

How do you get rid of those above clubs for somewhere maybe not so viable. Travel costs for starters, Then you need 40 or so players etc.

Latest posts