What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Future NRL Stadiums

Perth Red

Post Whore
Anyone know what the $10mill contribution split by nrl/Cowboys is?

Are nrl getting a financial return in some way in that investment?

Lockyer4President!

First Grade

That $10M figure is exactly the same amount that the AFL tipped in for Carrara and in return they brokered a 10-year lease with Stadiums QLD.

The Gold Coast Titans were on the backfoot after moving to Robina because of their stadium rent (3M/year at one stage iirc?). While nothing is public yet we can only hope this is a similar deal, which'll help the Cowboys make the most of the new stadium rather than be hindered by it.

Saint Doc

Coach
Can someone say something defamatory about Ray Hadley or Alan Jones so that the moderators can clean this thread up and get back on topic. @Timmah do your thing and mobilise the forum police!!

Reactions: siv

carcharias

Immortal
Alan jones agreed with Ray Hadley when he said a stadium built in Perth should have enough room for approximately 6000 people.

BlueandGold

Juniors

http://www.news.com.au/national/que...m/news-story/8399a39e7de225f33269bf688889f74b

Another $10 million boost will come from the North Queensland Cowboys, who will take out a loan and pay 10 years’ rent for the venue upfront.

Meanwhile, the NRL will underwrite the commitment by agreeing to fund interest payments on the loan.

Mr Pitt said the funding boost will ensure the $250 million project would be built under a federal Labor government, given Opposition Leader Bill Shorten had already pledged $100 million.

Hope that helps.

Perth Red

Post Whore
That interest rate that the NRL are underwriting would be interesting.

Yeh you'd think they could have used some of their savings for an interest free loan to cowboys and saved themselves a few hundred thousand.

Wonder how $1mill a year rent compares to other stadiums? On the face of it seems reasonable (around $85k a game)

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Looks awesome, the Townsville Bulletin leaked it early.

Dream becomes our reality
KIERAN ROONEY, Townsville Bulletin
an hour ago
The people of Townsville finally have their first glimpse of the long-awaited CBD stadium after more than five years of daring to dream.

Acting Premier Curtis Pitt will today unveil the winning concept for the $250 million city-defining project, an open and airy layout designed to make the most of the North Queensland climate and prime inner-city location.

Local architects 9Point9 are part of the Cox Architecture-led team chosen to deliver the design, which was inspired by the look of the tropical Pandanus tree.

The iconic roof will cover the tiered stands of the structure, tapering to an open air family-friendly grassed end that resembles the popular hill at 1300SMILES Stadium.

Facing out towards the CBD and Magnetic Island, the stadium design also includes an amphitheatre space where fans outside will be able to watch the game unfold while taking in the atmosphere.

Mr Pitt said the Townsville skyline would be transformed by the bold new addition.

“The Pandanus-inspired roof creates a suitably iconic shape for North Queensland but is also practical, covering 80 per cent of the stadium’s 25,000 seats and designed to resist cyclonic wind conditions,” he said.

“Cox Architecture’s genuine local input and partnership is in line with one of the Palaszczuk Government’s key objectives for this project – local jobs, business and training opportunities. Anybody who knows me knows I love the North Queensland Cowboys.

“Knowing the Cowboys’ new home is one step closer is great news for North Queensland.”

Unemployment in the region has hovered above 10 per cent after the collapse of Clive Palmer’s Queensland Nickel and growing disaffection with the major parties saw Labor topple the LNP in Herbert by just 37 votes.

But recent announcements for Adani’s Carmichael coal mine and Australia’s first City Deal have bolstered confidence that the region is turning its fortunes around.

“The stadium is expected to generate 750 jobs and this such an important catalytic piece of infrastructure for our city,” Mr Stewart said.

“Not only will it create those short-term jobs but it will unlock a wave of new confidence and investment in the region at a time when we need it most. Queenslanders are already spoiled for choice, and have some of the best sporting facilities in the world.

“We want this stadium to be world class. The stadium, along with the development of the Townsville Waterfront Priority Development Area will hopefully see footy fans and tourists flocking to our vibrant city.”

Mr Stewart said he had started a petition calling on the NRL to make the first game in the new stadium an all-Queensland affair, with the Cowboys playing the Broncos in Townsville to kick off the 2020 season.

“We want every tradie, every landscaper and every person who works on the stadium to come along on the first night with their families and feel proud to have built our stadium,” he said.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
8y1miZh.jpg
ArLMu2W.jpg
QhJjLP7.jpg

PaulyTom

Juniors
Nice stadium. Let's hope these type of smaller stadiums can be replicated in Sydney.

Penrith , Cronulla and Manly could all benefit from a 25k stadium like that.

carcharias

Immortal
Nice stadium. Let's hope these type of smaller stadiums can be replicated in Sydney.

Penrith , Cronulla and Manly could all benefit from a 25k stadium like that.
Im pretty sure that stadium layout is what Cronulla are planning on eventually doing.
At the moment it's just talk though.
Too much other stuff going on out there.
Plus there is the cost

Perth Red

Post Whore
Nice to see a unique design, looks great and will be a big improvement over current facilities I'm sure.

jim_57

Staff member
So is 25,000 the capacity? Or just the amount of seats then add a few thousand with the hill?

That stadium roof though, it reminds me a bit too much of that from the SFS. I would not want to be relying on it to protect me from the rain as it does not look like it would offer much protection. It may not rain too often in Townsville, but when it does, it pours (I know, as last time I went to 1300Smiles Stadium it bucketed down).

Last Week

Bench
Looks cool. You'd hope the roof would come over a bit further, protecting more people, but all the same.

Hopefully with the stadium closer to the CBD, it'll be more accessible to more people and therefore bigger crowds.

Im pretty sure that stadium layout is what Cronulla are planning on eventually doing.
At the moment it's just talk though.
Too much other stuff going on out there.
Plus there is the cost

the original development proposal includes ground improvement to be funded by the club.
so we will need to find funding.
Centre of excellence or equivalent is a start as we can get dollar for dollar funding. if they are talking that in the south west corner and joining the stands up (I dunno how this would be feasible to be honest. southern stand is set back far.

longevity of the ground and cost to refurbish is something I have contacted them about a couple of times.

Latest posts