What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Preferred Bench and individual roles

dragonsman4eva

Juniors
The bench of a team has become extremely important to the success of all teams.

My bench for 2017 would be

14.Leilua - Can really become a massive strike weapon for us. I would inject him into the game after 30 minutes on the left edge replacing JT. Leilua can play the rest of the game out on the edge while Thommo can come off the bench and play middle or replace Leilua if needed

15.Host- Can play edge or middle. I don't have a preference as to where his best position is. He can provide good impact to give our front rowers a spell and continue the momentum of Packer and PV (My preferred 8 & 10)

16.Sele- Solely middle player is where he does his best work. Can lift tempo of the game massively after 20-25 minutes. Really excited about this boys future!

17.Sims- Traditonally an edge player but did well at 8,10,13 for us. Would play a similar role to Hame.

To add to this I was impressed with the Reece Robson and I am a massive fan of his work where he is a dynamic hooker but also plays lock and doesn't take a backward step. I would give him a couple of months in the cutters before elevating him to FG bench

I'm obviously relying on Mciness to play 80 minutes and I think he can do a great job that we have needed to be done for a long time!

Most of all, I think these 4-5 players can keep the momentum going from our starting pack and continue throughout the game.

Would love to know everyone's thoughts! Thanks

Country Dragon

Juniors
Starting pack:
8. Packer
9. McInnes
10. LAH
11. Thompson
12. Frizz
13. JDB

14. Vaughan - middle
15. Sims - middle
16. Leilua/Host - I think carrying 2 edge players on the bench would be a waste
17. Havili - back up hooker but showed he can play 13. with the Cutters quite well.
Like this pack but would like to see Vaughan starting for Ah Mau and Masoe on the bench if/when fit!

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Starting pack:
8. Packer
9. McInnes
10. LAH
11. Thompson
12. Frizz
13. JDB

14. Vaughan - middle
15. Sims - middle
16. Leilua/Host - I think carrying 2 edge players on the bench would be a waste
17. Havili - back up hooker but showed he can play 13. with the Cutters quite well.

Agree brissy spot on.
Against bigger pack would start Vaughan with LAM of bench.
When masoe ready.
I would have him instead of lam

coastiedragon

Juniors
Same as above
Lam not in my 17
I think he got to comfortable knowing mary wouldnt pick anyone else think big wakeman had more ticker imo

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
IMO, every bench needs to have that 'triangle' player...for want of a better term...who can filled in various positions at the 'drop of the hat'.

This is particularly important considering McGregor's manipulation of the reserves is exceptionally poor, and can even be non existent.

We all know who I believe should be in the 17.

BrissyRedV

Bench
Agree brissy spot on.
Against bigger pack would start Vaughan with LAM of bench.
When masoe ready.
I would have him instead of lam
Just on LAM, I think he is being a bit harshly judged. He may have been slightly down on form last year, but his output was similar to that of Packers per game. Our main issue I see with our props last year is that we lacked decent bench options to continue the roll and the poor use of the interchange by Mary.
LAM
AVG per game All runs 10.6 Run Meters 101.3 Hit ups 9.7 Offloads 0.5 Tackles 23 Avg minutes 40
Packer
AVG per game All runs 10.4 Run meters 102.8 Hit ups 8.2 Offloads 0.7 Tackles 24.8 Avg minutes 40
Source NRL.com

Last edited:

BrissyRedV

Bench
IMO, every bench needs to have that 'triangle' player...for want of a better term...who can filled in various positions at the 'drop of the hat'.

This is particularly important considering McGregor's manipulation of the reserves is exceptionally poor, and can even be non existent.

We all know who I believe should be in the 17.
I agree. I went with Havili in my selections over say Marketo purely because I believe we would get better impact from him from the bench both as a hooker and a backrower.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
Just on LAM, I think he is being a bit harshly judged. He may have been slightly down on form last year, but his output was similar to that of Packers per game. Our main issue I see with our props last year is that we lacked decent bench options to continue the roll and the poor use of the interchange by Mary.
LAM
AVG per game All runs 10.6 Run Meters 101.3 Hit ups 9.7 Offloads 0.5 Tackles 23 Avg minutes 40
Packer
AVG per game All runs 10.4 Run meters 102.8 Hit ups 8.2 Offloads 0.7 Tackles 24.8 Avg minutes 40

First let me just say I'm fine with you quoting stats without quoting the source. I'm sure they're accurate. Big Leeson certainly seemed down on form or else victim to McGregors game tactics. In the past he used to make the odd bust but last year I can't remember any. Still our best option if Masoe not available.

BrissyRedV

Bench
First let me just say I'm fine with you quoting stats without quoting the source. I'm sure they're accurate. Big Leeson certainly seemed down on form or else victim to McGregors game tactics. In the past he used to make the odd bust but last year I can't remember any. Still our best option if Masoe not available.
My apologies, source is NRL.com

BrissyRedV

Bench
I believe he is a victim as are many in the team. I do recall a bust I think against the Tits but its hard to recall any highlights from any player really after such a dismal season.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
I'd try something a little bit different
8. Packer
9. Mcinnes
10. Vaughan
11. Thompson
12. Leilua
13. Frizell

14. Sims
15. Masoe (when fit)
16. Host
17. JDB

I think that the coach needs to do whatever it takes to get Frizell playing lock. He is our best forward by a long way and he displayed in Origin II that he could be incredible playing 13. He was the best player on the park that game and moving forward I think he'll be wasted on the edge. Whilst I completely admit he is a really dynamic edge forward, I just think he needs to be on the park for 80 minutes.
Leilua and Host can rotate that right edge, Ah Mau doesn't make my side.

Old Timer

Coach
The bench will be totally dependent on the style of football we play this year and how long we play that style for.
If we play the "D" game then it will be big bodies and no brains and Leilua and Host will be on the bench at best with one probably missing out they would be used totally at the wrong time just like 2016.
If he goes with an attacking style then surely Leilua will have to take up a starting LH position so maybe JT gets relocated to lock or the bench.
Masoe will be shot duck until at least round 8 and maybe longer.
He will need to have a few runs in the Cutters to get some match fitness as putting him straight into NRL would be ludicrous, so in hindsight that is probably the very thing that will happen.

I'd try something a little bit different
8. Packer
9. Mcinnes
10. Vaughan
11. Thompson
12. Leilua
13. Frizell

14. Sims
15. Masoe (when fit)
16. Host
17. JDB

I think that the coach needs to do whatever it takes to get Frizell playing lock. He is our best forward by a long way and he displayed in Origin II that he could be incredible playing 13. He was the best player on the park that game and moving forward I think he'll be wasted on the edge. Whilst I completely admit he is a really dynamic edge forward, I just think he needs to be on the park for 80 minutes.
Leilua and Host can rotate that right edge, Ah Mau doesn't make my side.

Agree with this 100%, great pack.