What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Future NRL Stadiums

Are you guys okay there? We heard here in Europe the NRL is dead.. nothing on nrl.com so must be true?

I've been tweeting Todd Rundgren all day. Nothing. Then after about twenty tweets I got a reply asking me what rugby league was. f**king typical.

Forget nrl.com. Get a ouija board and seance your footy news.

Raiderdave

First Grade
25k seems a bit low to me, was hoping for it to be around 28-32k. I know it will make the game day experience in Townsville a lot better/easier for the average fan, but would have also hoped for them to be able to pack a few more in as well on big game days.

maybe when they used to get 20K to almost any game & packed it out for big games
but those days are gone for the cows
now its 13 to 15K for almost any game & 20K for big games ... a few more for the Broncos
they'll get plenty of big crowds in the first few years of the new venue opening

but it'll settle down after the novelty wears off

25K is spot on

Canard

Immortal
maybe when they used to get 20K to almost any game & packed it out for big games
but those days are gone for the cows
now its 13 to 15K for almost any game & 20K for big games ... a few more for the Broncos
they'll get plenty of big crowds in the first few years of the new venue opening

but it'll settle down after the novelty wears off

25K is spot on

You would also assume its been designed to be expanded, considering there is no grandstand at one end of the stadium. Hopefully that is the plan in a decade or so. (if crowds are consistent)

I think 25K allows for a good atmosphere from around 12k+ crowds on up.

unforgiven

Bench
You would also assume its been designed to be expanded, considering there is no grandstand at one end of the stadium. Hopefully that is the plan in a decade or so. (if crowds are consistent)

I believe the end has been left open for airflow, the stadium is in a tropical part of Australia. This may still allow for an upgrade in the future.

meltiger

First Grade
So they have some common sense up north? As opposed to down here where the MRS can virtually never be upgraded due to the roof.

Love the look of the stadium. Def will make it a goal to see a Tigers game there once they have it built.

Canard

Immortal
So they have some common sense up north? As opposed to down here where the MRS can virtually never be upgraded due to the roof.

Love the look of the stadium. Def will make it a goal to see a Tigers game there once they have it built.

Wait till it's built. Remember they said AAMI was future proofed at first also.

I'm never really confident about Govt projects like this being built on time, on budget and within scope.

yakstorm

First Grade
You mean like the new Grandstand in Wollongong? The one where the Government wanted to cut costs, so shrunk the width of the Grandstand by 10 metres, compressed everything they could in between from the original plans and then wondered why a number of the corporate suites had obstructed views and the TV deck wasn't up to broadcast standards (as it was suddenly too small).... thankfully that stuff never happens....

morley101

Juniors
Demolition of Parramatta Stadium has started with most of the seats already removed. Hopefully a few thousand find their way over to Brookvale Oval and replace the wooden benches.

I'm pretty sure total capacity will be around 29k.

25k seated and 4k on a terraced hill at the open end.

The upgradable element would be to fill in that end should the stadium ever need to host an event requiring it to be all-seated. I.e. never, because even if we won a pie in the sky fifa WC bid, the stadium would be a long way from meeting the 40k requirement and I can't think of any other event that requires all seaters.

Long story short, saying it is upgradable is good politics.

Once built, it won't be changing.

Canard

Immortal
I'm pretty sure total capacity will be around 29k.

25k seated and 4k on a terraced hill at the open end.

The upgradable element would be to fill in that end should the stadium ever need to host an event requiring it to be all-seated. I.e. never, because even if we won a pie in the sky fifa WC bid, the stadium would be a long way from meeting the 40k requirement and I can't think of any other event that requires all seaters.

Long story short, saying it is upgradable is good politics.

Once built, it won't be changing.

I tend to agree with that (as I stated above). Temporary seating hopefully might be used for semi finals and Test matches.

With the next undecided World Cup a decade away and the political damage done last time, I don't think we need to worry about having one of those in our lifetime.

I tend to agree with that (as I stated above). Temporary seating hopefully might be used for semi finals and Test matches.

With the next undecided World Cup a decade away and the political damage done last time, I don't think we need to worry about having one of those in our lifetime.

100%. The design seems to show a flat area at the hill end then a very gradual taper down to water level.

Temp seating for big games is 1000x more feasible than additional permanent development and should bump capacity above 30k.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
What hill? It's a quarter-billion dollar stadium, the lower bowl is uninterrupted.

There's a viewing area under the scoreboard and an amphitheatre outside of the stadium which seems to be causing some confusion.

LineBall

Juniors
Central Coast Mariners owner Mike Charlesworth ready to invest $75m in Central Coast Stadium
2da7473e828c2f92ae8b8b1473ea87a1

Clare Graham, Central Coast Gosford Express Advocate
January 10, 2017 1:26pm
2da7473e828c2f92ae8b8b1473ea87a1

THE Central Coast Mariners have unveiled a bold new plan to transform Central Coast Stadium into a “striking and sophisticated” $75 million entertainment hub for Gosford.

But club owner Mike Charlesworth has warned he will walk away from investing big bucks in the 17-year-old venue if Central Coast Council does not stop stonewalling the project.

“If council don’t want me to invest in the Central Coast, I will invest elsewhere — it’s as simple as that,” the Mediatel mogul said in an exclusive interview with the Express Advocate.

A multistorey hotel complex, state-of-the-art stadium and a bustling dining and retail precinct are just an exciting taste of what the London-based telecommunications kingpin has planned for the waterside wonder.

The Centre of Entertainment, which would be developed under five stages, would see a roof built over the northern grandstand, a second tier on the western grandstand, a “corporate tower” with a 100-seat function centre, a new “front door” and improved screens, sound system and Wi-Fi.

Mike Charlesworth following the club’s win in the A-League grand final in 2013.
Mr Charlesworth has already invested upwards of $40 million developing the Centre of Excellence training facility in Tuggerah with another $60 million yet to be spent on the final two stages.

Now the A-League magnate is prepared to splash his cash on creating a Centre of Entertainment on Gosford waterfront and bring the potential-filled city back to life.

He said the club was keen to take over management rights of the 20,000-seat stadium or complete ownership from council but it had fallen on deaf ears.

“The ball is very much in council’s court right now,” he said.

“I’m incredibly frustrated by council — I think they take the Mariners for granted.

“Every time I come to the Central Coast I’m flabbergasted by the potential, but also the lack of investment ... that largely comes down to local government and not encouraging investors like myself.

“We’re being hamstrung right now by council who perhaps don’t see our vision.”

Mr Charlesworth said the current leasing agreement with the council prevented the club from investing time and money into improving the ageing venue which was already way behind nationally in terms of quality of facilities and entertainment offerings.

The club’s first priority would be to create a more “enjoyable experience” for fans by taking on long-term management rights, creating a 26,000-seat weather-friendly venue and one of the most technologically “sophisticated” stadiums in Australia with state-of-the-art sound, big screen and Wi-Fi systems.

db9ab035d74b63ff0f1a824e22399ba5

The Centre of Entertainment masterplan hopes to attract more revenue for the club while creating a vibrant and bustling sport and leisure hub for the region. Source: CKDS Architecture
The club’s ultimate goal would be taking ownership of the site and creating a trendy and bustling hub for sport, leisure and entertainment.

“I wouldn’t be investing my money in Gosford if I didn’t see the potential and I think that says a lot,” Charlesworth said.

“We’re putting our hand up right now and saying we’re prepared to invest in this, but we need to take some sort of ownership of it in order to do that.

“We can’t fully invest in something that’s not ours. At the moment we’re tenants.

“If council want to engage in serious discussions about selling the stadium or a public-private partnership in some respect then we’re all ears.”

MARINERS TO LEAD RALLY FOR CITY GROWTH
THE Central Coast Mariners are leading the charge for the future growth of Gosford by calling on politicians, business leaders, developers and the general public to rally together to realise the potential of the languishing city.

The club is welcoming people from all walks of life to join it in the launch of its Growth for Gosford campaign, which will coincide with the Mariners’ match against Perth Glory on Saturday, January 28.

9dc11eaed8060cfd3d0f76bc5a53c405

Club CEO Shaun Mielekamp is looking forward to spearheading positive change for Gosford.
Club CEO Shaun Mielekamp said he was excited to spearhead the campaign which aimed to bring the community together and contribute to positive, long overdue change for Gosford.

“This isn’t just about the Mariners or about football,” Mr Mielekamp said.

“I believe the Central Coast needs to be able to link arms and get progress to happen, rather than just throw mud at itself.

“We need to strategically align with council and have collaboration, not isolation. The worst thing that can happen is nothing.

“Our priority is to drive change and if we’re not going to do it, who is?”

Mr Mielekamp said it would be in the best interests of the club, the council and the broader community to openly discuss upgrading Central Coast Stadium to offer better entertainment variety, including concerts and more NRL games.

He said the stadium could become the “flag-bearer for change” in Gosford.

The club is currently in the second year of a three-year lease agreement with the council and is hoping to implement stage one of its multifaceted master plan as soon as possible to improve the current venue conditions for members.

Central Coast Stadium has the potential to be a world-class sport and entertainment hub for the region.
“We need a home, not a venue we can hire,” Mr Mielekamp said.

“The only thing that’s really changed in the 17 years the stadium has been (here is) the height of the palm trees — I mean, it’s still got the Bears’ (rugby league club) name on the seats.

“When we’re not there it’s just collecting dust.

“It’s about having this conversation now so when a new council (is elected) in September it’s already on their agenda and we don’t waste more time.”

M ONTY EXCITED FOR THE FUTURE
WITH growing demand for the sport and a more vibrant entertainment offerings, Central Coast Mariners captain Nick Montgomery has welcomed Mike Charlesworth’s stadium plan.

The Mariners celebrated their biggest home game crowd for the season at Sunday’s game against Sydney FC, with 11,398 fans at Central Coast Stadium.

It was the third time in a row more than 11,000 supporters have flocked to the venue.

“Since arriving from England in 2012 my family and I have fallen in love with the Central Coast,” Montgomery said.

“I have played football all over the world and there is no doubting that Central Coast Stadium is one of the most beautiful sporting venues in the world.

“To see Mike’s plans for the stadium is very exciting. The stadium needs to not only be picturesque but a comfortable and enjoyable venue to watch football and as the club continues to grow the stadium needs to improve.”

Mariners Captain Nick Montgomery has put his full support behind Mike Charlesworth’s $75 million plan for the stadium.
COUNCIL REACTS
CENTRAL Coast Council has rejected claims it has “hamstrung” the Mariners’ plans for Gosford stadium.

In a written statement, the council said it was “bewildered by rumours” that it had received a proposal from the Mariners to buy the stadium.

It comes as the club confirmed to the Express Advocate it made a detailed 87-page presentation to the council in November outlining its plans.

“While we have seen their vision in terms of aesthetic improvements to the stadium — we have never received a formal proposal from the Mariners to purchase the stadium or take over management rights,” the council statement read.

“Council’s most recent discussions with the Mariners, just before Christmas, centred around their bid to bring a Women’s A-League team to the Central Coast — something we are particularly excited about and very happy to support.

“If the Mariners have a proposal to purchase or take on management rights to the stadium, then they should approach the council formally with the proposal and it will be given due consideration.

“Council enjoys a productive relationship with the CEO of the Mariners and regularly discusses all sorts of issues relating to the stadium and promoting sport more generally on the Central Coast.”

If this goes ahead - and it's a big "if". Would it be enough to entice a Sydney team to relocate. Or would it make the reborn bears seem like a more viable option?

Latest posts