What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cricket Crap

chigurh

What is more impressive:

Stuart Broad: Top score 169, best innings figures 8/15

Michael Clarke: Top score 329*, best innings figures 6/9

Bazal

Post Whore
What is more impressive:

Stuart Broad: Top score 169, best innings figures 8/15

Michael Clarke: Top score 329*, best innings figures 6/9

Clarke for mine. More and more bowlers are scoring hundreds or thereabouts these days, but 329 is an incredible innings by any means.

What about Border? Top score 205, best bowling 7/46

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Clarkey's 6/9 was freakish, I was watching it when it happened.

The thing is, he never even got close to doing it again, that pitch really suited his darts. Be interesting to find out what his second best figures were, not even close I'd say.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
When I first saw this post
Clarkey's 6/9 was freakish, I was watching it when it happened.

The thing is, he never even got close to doing it again, that pitch really suited his darts. Be interesting to find out what his second best figures were, not even close I'd say.

Well when I first saw this, straight away I thought of the Sydney test in 2008 when he got 3 for 5 in about 2 overs, but interestingly he took 5 /86 against the Windies in 2012 at Dominica.

Was definitely a pitch suited for spinners as Lyon took 7 for the match in the same test.

Only other time Clarke got a 5 for in test.

steggz

Juniors
Mark Howard should never be let near a commentary box again. That discussion with Hodge was inexplicable

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Hodge is a dopey prick, why ten thinks we want to listen to his craptacular drivel in the first place is beyond me. Just one of Flemings boring vico mates.

undertaker

Coach
Mark Howard should never be let near a commentary box again. That discussion with Hodge was inexplicable
Hodge is a dopey prick, why ten thinks we want to listen to his craptacular drivel in the first place is beyond me. Just one of Flemings boring vico mates.

Irrespective of whether Hodge is a dropkick or not, I've always been against the practice of commentators talking to players on the field in a professional tournament (especially during live play), where player's batting/bowling/fielding performances count towards their overall career stats. It was just a matter of time where an incident such as the one involving Mark Howard would occur. I find it somewhat humorous that the AFL-dropkick affectionately known as "Howie" has been implicated in this, considering the huge moral highground he took over the Chris Gayle incident in commentary last year.

Although players haven't been miked-up during the tests/ODIs on Ch9, I've noticed Ch9 recently have also been treading a fine line over the past couple of summers with repeatedly showing Aussie players and staff in the dressing room on camera, and then trying to communicate with them (e.g. last summer during the Aus vs NZ test series, where Mark Taylor et al were trying to encourage Steve Smith to declare whilst pressuring him by continually showing him on camera at the same time the suggestions were made, knowing full well that the dressing room would have access to the tv coverage). That's not on, and if Cricket Australia were doing their job, they should be clamping down on this. People like Mark Howard are there as broadcasters/commentators, and not to be using the commentary box as an outlet to privately coach certain players/teams into certain outcomes.

If it was just an exhibition, testimonial, farewell or fundraising match, yeah, do whatever shenanigans you want on the field with whatever rules you want, but with an event such as the BBL (which is a tournament, whether you like it or not), it completely detracts from the professionalism of the event. They don't do it in Tests and ODIs, why should recorded T20s be any different?

Last edited:

Meth

Staff member
I still consider a BBL (and all non-international T20 cricket tournaments) to be festival events. Who cares?

I hate listening to the players on the field. It's not a novelty. Maybe when it first started it seemed like that would fit, but it's becoming a more serious competition that people actually care about and this kind of shit detracts from it. They never say anything worth hearing anyway.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I've still yet to watch a complete T20 game in either international or BBL

Bazal

Post Whore
I don't get the need some people seem to feel to bag off T20. It's the third best form of cricket but it's still cricket ffs.

Edit...wtf word filter? Seems highly unnecessary

8Ball

First Grade
The commentary for the BBL ruins it a bit for me. The best thing about T20 is that gives nations like Nepal exposure to top tier nations in tournaments like the world cup

Meth

Staff member
I don't get the need some people seem to feel to bag off T20. It's the third best form of cricket but it's still cricket ffs.

Edit...wtf word filter? Seems highly unnecessary

I'd dispute that, but I take your point

Latest posts