What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 Jerseys, Logos, Sponsor Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

sheepbender

Juniors
I replied to a tweet from @JerseySpotter, and included the Toronto Wolfpack's twitter handle, saying that it was a missed opportunity to create an iconic identity. And disappointingly boring. The Wolfpack quickly pm'd me asking my opinion..

Toronto Wolfpack
Genuinely curious as to your perspective on the kit and why you dislike it so

Me
You're the first North American based professional Rugby League team, to play a high level, internationally. You're club is the pioneer for the sport in Canada & the USA. If you guys get it right, this could be massive for our game long term. But what does an all Black kit say about your identity, where your from, what you represent, and what you're trying to achieve. You look more like a Rugby Union team than a Rugby League team, and that's important to traditionalists. Some people are Die Hard and have no time for the other version of the game. I guess you're trying to be broad and inclusive, but people/fans want something to identify with, something they can call theirs, that stands out from the rest. The Blue Jays have an identity that's easily recognisable, known round the world. Even in the Rugby League world, Wigan - Red & White stripes. St George & St Helens - Red V on White. Sth Sydney - Red & Green stripes. These traditional designs have stood mostly unchanged for 90+ years. I'm sure you have thought about merchandise, I know a lot people that like to support clubs from overseas, including me, just through our love of the game. Whilst Black is bold, I just feel it's a missed opportunity to do something more. Less is more in Rugby League, but some design elements are appreciated. A traditional V never goes astray. You've got my support either way, I love what you're doing & trying to achieve. I wish you guys good luck as we just want to see the game flourish.

Toronto Wolfpack
OK well that is why I asked, I value the opinion of the fans, and our organization prides ourselves on being the people's club. Hence why I am encouraged to reach out and engage with people who have query's or criticisms. I wasn't personally huge on the blank at first but I think it is smart now that it has been produced. I see your points, but I would argue that the simplicity speaks to the humility with which we enter the competition, a blank canvas so to speak. Willing to fight up from the bottom and nothingness to achieve greatness.

Keep your eyes peeled, interesting stuff the away kit..

Me
Sounds like you're trying to sell the idea & justify it with some fancy speak. Would like to see the jerseys to represent the Canadian culture in some way. Hopefully you can build the identity as you go. I look forward to the clubs success, and the away jersey.

So yea, they've got an interesting perspective. Hopefully they can come up with something more interesting in the future

0025557_junior-red-devils-replica-away-jersey_480.jpeg

salford away

Diesel

Referee
ANZAC jerseys should be free of sponsorship much like Penrith did a few years back.

Camouflage on the Broncos jersey looks tacky, nearly as bad as the Manly ANZAC jersey based on Fred Flintstones clothes

LineBall

Juniors
Camouflage on Broncos looks good IMO. As long as the photos are an accurate representation - it's fairly subtle and integrates well with the original jersey. The Manly jersey was completely different, much more 'in your face'

Rooster8

Juniors
Just saw the new 2017 Cronulla Sharks home jersey on their Instagram. Seems they've kept the excat same design as last year. Only thing different I could notice besides the 50 year logo, was that the X blades logo on the shoulder panel faces towards the arms instead of facing the front of the jersey. Kind of like that ISC does on their should panels.

Klim

Juniors
Only thing different I could notice besides the 50 year logo, was that the X blades logo on the shoulder panel faces towards the arms instead of facing the front of the jersey. Kind of like that ISC does on their should panels.
They've had that since they introduced sponsors on the bottom of the collar.

callmack1

Staff member
Just saw the new 2017 Cronulla Sharks home jersey on their Instagram. Seems they've kept the excat same design as last year. Only thing different I could notice besides the 50 year logo, was that the X blades logo on the shoulder panel faces towards the arms instead of facing the front of the jersey. Kind of like that ISC does on their should panels.
Can you post a pic?

callmack1

Staff member
That Broncos jersey is nice. It looks better than the home jersey because it doesn't have that ugly white bit running along the seam from the collar to the armpit imo.

callmack1

Staff member
Thanks for the pictures. So what was the big drama about Cronulla not having a sponsor?

That 50 year anniversary logo looks too small imo.

callmack1

Staff member
Parra need to hurry and release theirs. I can understand why the Titans are taking a while but what's the hold up with the Eels?

Thanks for the pictures. So what was the big drama about Cronulla not having a sponsor?

That 50 year anniversary logo looks too small imo.

the issue wasn't that we didn't have one, they were contracted for this season.
they came to us trying to get out after they took a huge share hit and needed to cost cut.
we said we would consider if there was a better offer on the table.
otherwise it would remain.

I would say we are still in negotiations and that new deal with a new company will kick in 2018

and yes, I agree it is too small.

jersey also has little logos on the back, the ship, the 70s one, the 80's one the star logo and the current

and we will be releasing a white v heritage jersey. allegedly

Last edited:

callmack1

Staff member
the issue wasn't that we didn't have one, they were contracted for this season.
they came to us trying to get out after they took a huge share hit and needed to cost cut.
we said we would consider if there was a better offer on the table.
otherwise it would remain.

I would say we are still in negotiations and that new deal with a new company will kick in 2018

and yes, I agree it is too small.

jersey also has little logos on the back, the ship, the 70s one, the 80's one the star logo and the current

and we will be releasing a white v heritage jersey. allegedly
Cheers for clearing it up. That white Heritage certainly will be interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts