What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My team for round 1

mickeylane

Bench
This will be close to the team that Mcgregor picks
1. DUGAN
2. Nightingale
3. Milne
4. Lafai
5. Mcdonald

6. WIDDOP
7. Mann

8. Packer
9. McInnes
10. Vaughan
11. Frizell
12. Thompson
13. JDB

14. Simms
15. Ah Mau
16. Host
17. Marketo

My Team.

1. Dufty (if fit)
2. Nightingale
3. Milne
4. DUGAN
5. Mcdonald

6. Field
7. WIDDOP

8. Packer
9. McInnes
10. Vaughan
11. THOMPSON
12. Simms
13. Frizell

14. Host
15. Ah Mau
16. Mann
18. Masoe

kyussiscoming73

Juniors
Bellamy threw Mann into the centres for his defence, he has more pace than Aitken, has a better passing game and scored more tries last year than Aitken where he had to create the opportunity himself. I don't understand this idea that a player is a utility, which number is that one? He can play a number of positions which makes him versatile but that doesn't mean he can't be better than the alternatives in those positions.

I don't want to see Mann in the centres, I want to see him get a run at 5/8 instead of Widdop.

PS: I don't understand some peoples blind love affair with Aitken. Love his physicality but you have nightmares everytime a quick steppy player is opposite him, lateral defence his not the best. Also, Dugan is criticised for his passing but Aitken is overlooked by many in this regard. He does not provide any service to his wingers.
Spot on about Aitken.

dragonzero

Juniors
My Team looks like

1.Dugan
2. Nightingale
3. Aitkin
4. Milne
5. Mann
6. Widdop
7. Field
8. Packer
9. McInnis
10. Ah Mau
11. Thompson
12. Frizell
13. Sims

14. Vaughn
15. De Belin
16. Host
17. McCrone - To come on for Field in the first 6 games then change to Leulia

Crescent dragon

Juniors
Great team, for mine, just swap Mann and Field or use them alternatively.
I have a feeling if we do blood Field, then he will have more room, time and energy to run as he did in Auckland from fullback.
The big fellas are going to run at him anyway, probably less at the back but he HAS to be in the team, as does Mann

Farrquarr

Juniors
My team would be
1 Mann
2 Mcdonald
3 Aitken
4 Dugan
5 Nightingale
6 Field
7 Widdop
8 Simms
9 Mcinnes
10 Packer
11 Thompson
12 Frizzel
13 Havili

14 Debellin
15 Ah mau
16 Mose
17 host

SEAT 1A

Bench
1. DUGAN
2. Nightingale
3. Aitken
4. Lafai
5. Mcdonald

6. WIDDOP
7. Mann

8. Packer
9. McInnes
10. Vaughan
11. Frizell
12. Simms
13. JDB

14. Thompson
15. Ah Mau
16. Mose/Leliua
17. Havili

ALSGI

Bench
For mine Mann is at 5/8 regardless of whether Widdop is the halfback or in the NSW Cup. And if Mann can't cut it in the halves, he should also be in the NSW Cup.
Agree 100%.
How many poor performances = can't cut it ?
I used to love watching the old coaches hook a player from the field after a really bad play.

Glenn01

Juniors
Agree 100%.
How many poor performances = can't cut it ?
I used to love watching the old coaches hook a player from the field after a really bad play.

If he can guide the team around and take the ball to the line leaving opposition guessing as to whether he will pass, long or short, kick or run himself, I don't mind a few bad games.

I'd forgive 2 or 3 games where he drops the ball a few times, throws and intercept and things like that. I think even halves like Thurston and Andrew Johns have had games like that.

Simon

Juniors
1. Dugan (fullback in defence, centre in attack. Best of both worlds, we get his ball carries returning kicks and he can run lines in attack)
2. MacDonald
3. Aitken
4. Mann (centre in defence, ball player / fullback in attack)
5. Nightingale
6. Widdop
7. McCrone (I like the role he played with the Cutters last year - a bit of dummy half, etc. Really just warming the seat until we see if Field is ready)
8. Packer
9. McInnes
10. Vaughan
11. Frizell
12. Thompson
13. Sims

14. Ah Mau
15. Host
16. DeBelin
17. Field (got to play him but check him out off the bench to start with - McCrone can cover dummy half when he comes on and I liked the Cutters last year when they had Hutch, Nona and McCrone on the field at the same time, no reason why we can't try this)

Leilua, Mose (when fit), Milne and Havili are some fine back ups.

getsmarty

Immortal
1. Dugan (fullback in defence, centre in attack. Best of both worlds, we get his ball carries returning kicks and he can run lines in attack)
2. MacDonald
3. Aitken
4. Mann (centre in defence, ball player / fullback in attack)
5. Nightingale
6. Widdop
7. McCrone (I like the role he played with the Cutters last year - a bit of dummy half, etc. Really just warming the seat until we see if Field is ready)
8. Packer
9. McInnes
10. Vaughan
11. Frizell
12. Thompson
13. Sims

14. Ah Mau
15. Host
16. DeBelin
17. Field (got to play him but check him out off the bench to start with - McCrone can cover dummy half when he comes on and I liked the Cutters last year when they had Hutch, Nona and McCrone on the field at the same time, no reason why we can't try this)

Leilua, Mose (when fit), Milne and Havili are some fine back ups.

I Think this will be pretty close to the team Mary picks. Only changes Lafai in and Marketo to the bench in place of Field.

Dragon66

Juniors
I think this is a reasonably good line up for Rd 1..

!. Mann - He says it's his preferred position,clever with the ball, elusive, has a kicking game it seems, competent defender.
2. McDonald
3. Dugan - should see plenty of ball with our new style of play and would be very dangerous one on one, tough defender, won't get bashed as much as he does at fullback where injury wise he is heart attack material.
4. Milne - Big,fast and aggressive, and can offload in traffic.
5. Nigthingale
6. Widdop - but he has to improve on last year's performance - looking for a good game in the CS.
7. Field -I like his confidence, It's Penrith - not a brutal team, and McCrone would be on standby.
8. Vaughn
9. McInnes
10.Ah Mau
11. Thompson
12. Frizzel
13.Simms

14. Packer - prop rotation
15. DeBelin - anywhere, but mainly will up the tempo in defence, can still get in as first receiver and be very effective against a tiring defence.
16. Host - another player with a high defensive work rate, and will get better, and a good ball runner.
17. McCrone - to be ready if Field doesn't aim up. Also Standby hooker.

Big fan of Aitken and Havilli but you can only pick 17.

Last edited:

nontime111

Juniors
Mann
Mcdonald
Milne
Dugan
Nightingale
Widdop
Field
Sims
JDB
Frizzel
Packer
Havili
Vaughn

bench:
Host
Ah Mau
Thompson
Luciano

Crush

Coach
I think this is a reasonably good line up for Rd 1..

!. Mann - He says it's his preferred position,clever with the ball, elusive, has a kicking game it seems, competent defender.
2. McDonald
3. Dugan - should see plenty of ball with our new style of play and would be very dangerous one on one, tough defender, won't get bashed as much as he does at fullback where injury wise he is heart attack material.
4. Milne - Big,fast and aggressive, and can offload in traffic.
5. Nigthingale
6. Widdop - but he has to improve on last year's performance - looking for a good game in the CS.
7. Field -I like his confidence, It's Penrith - not a brutal team, and McCrone would be on standby.
8. Vaughn
9. McInnes
10.Ah Mau
11. Thompson
12. Frizzel
13.Simms

14. Packer - prop rotation
15. DeBelin - anywhere, but mainly will up the tempo in defence, can still get in as first receiver and be very effective against a tiring defence.
16. Host - another player with a high defensive work rate, and will get better, and a good ball runner.
17. McCrone - to be ready if Field doesn't aim up. Also Standby hooker.

Big fan of Aitken and Havilli but you can only pick 17.
I think that would be a very exciting team to watch, anything could happen. It may fail, sure, but it also might be just what they need. Mann at fullback and field at 7. Inject some speed into the spine! I like it Dragon66!

Glenn01

Juniors
I think that would be a very exciting team to watch, anything could happen. It may fail, sure, but it also might be just what they need. Mann at fullback and field at 7. Inject some speed into the spine! I like it Dragon66!
Mann was tried out at fullback and failed miserably. He should get a chance at 5/8. If he goes well there, next season field can slot in at fullback or in the centres. And speed is all well and good but who is going to be the playmaker? Widdop? God help us if that is the case.

Crush

Coach
Mann was tried out at fullback and failed miserably. He should get a chance at 5/8. If he goes well there, next season field can slot in at fullback or in the centres. And speed is all well and good but who is going to be the playmaker? Widdop? God help us if that is the case.
He was given 2 matches at fb and had a shocker against sharks round 2 and was dropped. I don't think that classifies as being trialled at fullback, everyone has an off game. He shouldn't have been dropped, poor coaching from mary.
And field to centres? Really?

Latest posts