What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tim Lafai

possm

Coach
Our Club's best possible centre combination at the moment is Dugan and Mine. Both big strong centres who can run hard and defend well. Milne has already his ability to play both sides of the field. So the only reason to not select these two players in the centres is to accommodate other factors - not just who are our best centres.

So my view is that we select our best players in their most suitable positions. Let competition and form be the reason for any change. I say select Field / Mann at fullback / five-eighth and switch Widdop to 7 for 2017.

ALSGI

Bench
Our Club's best possible centre combination at the moment is Dugan and Mine. Both big strong centres who can run hard and defend well. Milne has already his ability to play both sides of the field. So the only reason to not select these two players in the centres is to accommodate other factors - not just who are our best centres.

So my view is that we select our best players in their most suitable positions. Let competition and form be the reason for any change. I say select Field / Mann at fullback / five-eighth and switch Widdop to 7 for 2017.
100% agree

Dragsters

First Grade

I agree that milne and dugan are our best possible pairing if Dufty was available and I selected them in my team.

With Dufty injured though and if Mary goes with Dugan at the back, which I think he will, then milne on the right and Lafai in the left would be ok provided he is fit.

BrissyRedV

Bench
One of the problems we have with the fullback position is we have 2 completely different types of fullback. Dufty and Dugan both have completely different styles of play and it is going to take time for the team as a whole to adapt to their individual strengths and weaknesses. Much like last year, the team trained with a ball playing fullback and then struggled to adapt when the experiment was abandoned which looks likely to continue to be a hindrance this year.

getsmarty

Immortal
I agree that milne and dugan are our best possible pairing if Dufty was available and I selected them in my team.

With Dufty injured though and if Mary goes with Dugan at the back, which I think he will, then milne on the right and Lafai in the left would be ok provided he is fit.

Personally I would go with Mann Left (if not selected in the Halves) and either Milne/Aitken Right. Mary will not play Dugan at Centre...he has already stated this.
Unfortunately some players from the group of Milne/Mann/Aitken/Macdonald/Lafai will be in the Cutters. I have a suspicion that it will be Mann and Milne and Mary will go with Lafai and Aitken.

SBD82

Coach
Personally I would go with Mann Left (if not selected in the Halves) and either Milne/Aitken Right. Mary will not play Dugan at Centre...he has already stated this.
Unfortunately some players from the group of Milne/Mann/Aitken/Macdonald/Lafai will be in the Cutters. I have a suspicion that it will be Mann and Milne and Mary will go with Lafai and Aitken.
Disgraceful if it happens. I like aitken, but no way he is a better centre than Milne or Mann, and both of those guys will keep getting better and better.

Lafai has a massive top end quality, but it's been a long time since he's shown it. Cutters for Lafai for mine.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
I don't think the centre combo is set in stone for round 1 just yet. With Lafai, Aitken, Milne and even Dugan in the mix and all 4 are represented this weekend.
They may well start the CS with Lafai and Aitken. Lafai has had 1 hit out last weekend, so I think that's why he was selected in this game and not the Cutters, so our genius coach can get another look at him. Aitken will have played all 3 trials and may get a half time rest and that's when Milne will come on and maybe even Dugan switch to centre with Mann to fullback.
If I were McGregor, I'd give Aitken a run in the forwards, even just for 10 mins or so, just to see his impact.

Dragsters

First Grade
Mann better get a decent run in the halves on Sunday.

He is the most important piece in the puzzle imo.

Risky_6

Juniors
Sorry guys just found out the information about which side lafai and Aitken will play is still up in the air but both guarantee will start in the centres ahead of Milne and mann.

Mary spoke to a few guys I know yesterday and he told them both will start in the centres but still deciding on who will partner Nightingale and Macdonald on right and left.

Other info was McCrone and field will share the halfback role, he seems reluctant to start field, hopefully he can prove everyone wrong on Sunday and get the 7 jersey for round 1.

Kurt mann will be given an opportunity in both halves and centre as he is still in the mix to start round 1.

Not a fan of lafai and McCrone however all reports about lafai is he has been very impressive this off season and has earnt his start ahead of two very good players.

Belta

Juniors
If we see the sort of rotations Risky_6 is suggesting in the Charity Shield then it's shaping up as a important game in determining the round 1 team...at least that's what it appears on the surface....could be a defining moment for Field if he is in the halves and forwards like the Burgess boys target him...

Also be interesting if Mann and Field play well again remembering a quote from Mary about the the trial form will go a long way in determining the FG lineup for round 1...

Crush

Coach
A big congratulations to Tim Lafai on his selection at starting centre for the Charity Shield. He really deserves his spot after having such a good year in 2014!
Great to see his hard work in 2014 has paid off!
Milne a little unlucky but I am sure he will be fine to go back to the cutters and play another year in reserves.

emu62

Juniors
If we see the sort of rotations Risky_6 is suggesting in the Charity Shield then it's shaping up as a important game in determining the round 1 team...at least that's what it appears on the surface....could be a defining moment for Field if he is in the halves and forwards like the Burgess boys target him...

Also be interesting if Mann and Field play well again remembering a quote from Mary about the the trial form will go a long way in determining the FG lineup for round 1...

Correct me if Im wrong but i think it was also quoted the run on side for the CS was going to be pretty close to the team for round 1, read it somewhere, not sure where

Maxwell

Juniors
I would like to see Milne and Lafia in centres Mcdonald 1 winger and Aitkin the other winger. Aitkins defence is poor , races out of line and leaves a yawning gap. Duggan looked sharp at f/b , speed was good. But again we are lacking in the halves Widdop has no idea whats happening in these block plays , but I doubt any of the players know it . And we always run them left side , not so much block plays right side. And sorry to admit it but McCrone is going to be our halfback . It will be a long lost season heading our way, what is Mark Coyne supposed to be achieving in his new role, what ever it is it ain't working .

denis preston

First Grade
I would like to see Milne and Lafia in centres Mcdonald 1 winger and Aitkin the other winger. Aitkins defence is poor , races out of line and leaves a yawning gap. Duggan looked sharp at f/b , speed was good. But again we are lacking in the halves Widdop has no idea whats happening in these block plays , but I doubt any of the players know it . And we always run them left side , not so much block plays right side. And sorry to admit it but McCrone is going to be our halfback . It will be a long lost season heading our way, what is Mark Coyne supposed to be achieving in his new role, what ever it is it ain't working .
Where is Coyne ?