What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Leilua

OurRedV

Juniors
Here's hoping we didn't pay overs for a kid that hasn't done anything on the big stage, purely off the back of the success of his brother.

Offered SFA in the 9's, can't defend and is about as fit as George Rose.

Glenn01

Juniors
Here's hoping we didn't pay overs for a kid that hasn't done anything on the big stage, purely off the back of the success of his brother.

Offered SFA in the 9's, can't defend and is about as fit as George Rose.
He was also one of our best in a game against the Broncos last season. Late in the season when the team had descended into a rabble and it was only a question of whether the Broncos would win easily or put us to the sword.

OurRedV

Juniors
Don't get me wrong, I want the kid to succeed and do great things for us. I'm just concerned that our club management may have paid overs for an un-proven product.
But hey, that's footy these days I guess.

I hope someone digs this thread up in 2-3 years when he is lifting the premiership trophy in a Red V.

Glenn01

Juniors
Don't get me wrong, I want the kid to succeed and do great things for us. I'm just concerned that our club management may have paid overs for an un-proven product.
But hey, that's footy these days I guess.

I hope someone digs this thread up in 2-3 years when he is lifting the premiership trophy in a Red V.
Though you are right about the 9s. He was atrocious!

OurRedV

Juniors
Player managers are on par with real estate agents - I mean, really, how close were the Dogs to signing him anyway?

he has more attacking ability in his little finger than the rest of the forward back combined.

when was the last time you saw a saints forward pop up a soft pass to put a back through a hole ?

Yes he needs to work on his fitness and tackling technique

His skill set is what we need, give the kid time. He will be a gem if they support him.

saints4me

Juniors
I watched a lot of the NYC last year (because they played a great style of footy) and when Leilua came on was something special. The challenge is to play that way with the big boys. I would have been pissed off if we'd lost him. Give him a chance. I don't think you'll be disappointed!

dragonssamy61

First Grade
he has more attacking ability in his little finger than the rest of the forward back combined.

when was the last time you saw a saints forward pop up a soft pass to put a back through a hole ?

Yes he needs to work on his fitness and tackling technique

His skill set is what we need, give the kid time. He will be a gem if they support him.

He will learn more from head then mcwrecker any rate.
So a few weeks in cutters may well help his career.

Old Timer

Coach
Bob Mc Carthy couldn't tackle very well when he came into the big time either but he turned out a beauty so a little patience required here guys.
Luc has the look of a ball player which is really invaluable and he needs to understand that, that alone will not be enough and if he is smart he will work it out.
Bryce Cartwright's defence and fitness was also questionable and may have in fact cost him an early SOO gig but he is going to go up a level now that he has worked it out.
No doubt a friendly word from Packer and Vaughan will assist and guide young Leilua.

Carlton

Juniors
Should we have resigned him? Yes
Does he have huge potential? Yes
Should we persevere with him? Yes

But you can't carry a second rower in first grade who has poor defence. Play him in Cutters and see if he can work on this. The problem with his defence is threefold, soft initial contact, stands tall and does not put his shoulder into it and has trouble reading where he needs to be. Some of this may be a fitness issue but I think its actually technique is the problem.

dragon thomo

Juniors
He played first grade last year and his defence didnt seem to be a problem then. It just goes to show that the coaching staff have no idea to put a player like Lealua into the shorter version of the game, his lateral movement would not be as good as other forwards in our squad and to play him in that crap is a joke. He should be in first grade as he has more ball skill than any other player in the squad .

Carlton

Juniors
He played first grade last year and his defence didnt seem to be a problem then. It just goes to show that the coaching staff have no idea to put a player like Lealua into the shorter version of the game, his lateral movement would not be as good as other forwards in our squad and to play him in that crap is a joke. He should be in first grade as he has more ball skill than any other player in the squad .

I didn't think his defence was that flash last year in first grade and its not just his lateral movement in the nines that was the problem. His initial contact is soft, he stands tall and arm grabs a lot (no shoulder). This is why smaller players have been able to push him off.

dragon thomo

Juniors
Well if that is his problem they have had all summer to fix it, the problem our team has is scoring points and he has the ability to make that happen more then any other in the squad.

Dragon Revival

Juniors
He, Dufty and Field were the stars in the Under 20's. If we want him to play two grades higher he needs to consolidate in
the Cutters. He runs hard and
offloads well but his positional play
and defence need to be
greatly developed. He is shy and uncertain and is scared to make the wrong move.

Latest posts