What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Broncos NRL Matches Discussion + Voting

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
My thoughts on what the team will look like Rd 1:

1. Boyd
2. Oates
3. Kahu
4. Roberts
5. Mead
6. Milford
7. Hunt
8. Sims
9. McCullough
10. Blair
11. Thaiday
12. Gillett
13. McGuire

14. Nikorima
15. Glenn
16. Ofahengaue
17. Pengai Jr

Pretty good line up to start the year with. Parker being the obvious loss in terms of offloads and second phase play. Plenty of strike power out wide if the halves can actually get some useful ball there. The only positions I'm not sure of are McG at Lock and Gillett/Glenn. Bennett may prefer to use Gillett off the bench at 20mins.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
Kahu showed again at the Nines that he is a top class Winger. i know many have Kahu slotted at centre but I think the Broncos should still consider this as an option some time during the season:

2. Oates
3. Opacic/Seve/Moga etc
4. Roberts
5. Kahu

Probably not to start the season as Opacic is coming back from surgery.

broncoman

Juniors
I think you are pretty spot on with the mentioned side, backline practically picks itself, although I have a feeling Marshall sneaks into the 17 somewhere. I just dont think he was signed to play Q Cup.

I wonder too if the bench looks a little light, I thought a few others had moved past Joe O in the pecking order. Perhaps we will see McGuire stay at prop and Sims on the bench with Glenn or maybe even Arrow starting in the backrow.

DeeJ

Bench
Here's the official team. A bit surprised to see Sims starting, but none of the others are ready too yet with Mcguire moving.

BRONCOS NRL SQUAD

1. Darius Boyd

2. Corey Oates

3. James Roberts

4. Tautau Moga

5. Jordan Kahu

6. Anthony Milford

7. Ben Hunt

8. Korbin Sims

9. Andrew McCullough

10. Adam Blair

11. Sam Thaiday

12. Matt Gillett

13. Josh McGuire

Interchange:

14. Alex Glenn

15. Tevita Pangai

16. Herman Ese’ese

17. Jai Arrow

Reserve: David Mead

Reserve: Joe Ofahengaue

Reserve: Kodi Nikorima

Reserve: George Fai

Coach: Wayne Bennett

http://www.broncos.com.au/news/2017/02/28/broncos_ins_and_outs.html

Last edited by a moderator:

Bronco18

Juniors
Not sure what Ese'ese or Arrow offer ahead of Ofahengaue.

Good to see Bennett being ruthless with Mead, in his preseason hit outs he was quite disappointing. We have the depth to chop and change the backline (and forwards too I guess) so why not early in the season?

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
given that this forum is now so quiet I've decided to put all Broncos NRL Matches discussion in one thread. When posting teams please add official link to Broncos site. Please continue to vote 3, 2, 1 for who you think are best Broncos players in each game (with 3 being best, also other combinations adding to 6 is fine).

DeeJ

Bench
Harder to write about this game. We weren't very fired up, but the defense was very capable and I think we were mostly in control after the first try, except for the slight lapse in the second half.

3. Boyd - set up two tries, but he made some great last man tackles in the first half
2. Kahu
1. Thaiday

Nightward

Juniors
3: Boyd.
2: Milford.
1: Oates.

More a case of luck than skill there. I suspect the lack of size in the forwards is really going to come back to haunt the team as the season progresses.

Nerd

Bench
Good to get a win first up. Thought Hunt struggled to get involved. Sims went ok for someone having their first game in a new team.

3 Boyd
2 Thaiday
1 Kahu

blaza88z

Coach
I thought Moga was great, he's obviously a powerful runner of the ball and having some guys like Moga and Oates out wide who are both strong carriers of the footy will help relieve the pressure off of an undersized forward pack.

We had some luck with some bounces going our way but we only made 1 handling error in the 2nd half and I thought that should have been a penalty.

3 Boyd
2 Milford
1 Kahu

Bronco18

Juniors
3. McGuire
2. Gillette
1. Boyd

Hunt is still being a Hunt but otherwise solid enough first hit out. Bench forwards really impressed for mine, showed a bit of grit to get back on top while haviing a man down for the 2nd half.

Kahu has been practicing his kicking, kicked a few dropkicks from the sideline in the 9s, and carried it on with his conversions here. We've been missing a quality goal kicker, hopefully he keeps this form up.

THE CHAMP

First Grade
3 boyd
2 thaiday
1 Gillette

Thought sims was very good. He's got some explosive speed from a standing start. He will have a big year for us.
Oates kahu and the milf were also very good Blair too.
A good win and plenty of improvement to come.
Hope hunt finds that 2015 for again. We will be hard to stop then

Country Bronco

Juniors
3 Boyd
2 Thaiday
1 Gillette

Couple of days to think and talk about game. Two points on the board is the result and conclusion. Can't say much that hasn't already been said. Except our forwards seemed to be out on their feet until Sammy made his big charge. Moga and Sims both had good debuts.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
WAYNE Bennett has named just one change to his squad for Friday's blockbuster against the North Queensland Cowboys in Brisbane.

Benji Marshall was named as a reserve on an extended bench, with the same 17 that defeated the Sharks 26-18 last Thursday in place.

BRONCOS NRL SQUAD

1. Darius Boyd ( C )
2. Corey Oates
3. James Roberts
4. Tautau Moga
5. Jordan Kahu
6. Anthony Milford
7. Ben Hunt
8. Korbin Sims
9. Andrew McCullough
10. Adam Blair
11. Sam Thaiday
12. Matt Gillett
13. Josh McGuire

Interchange:

14. Alex Glenn
15. Tevita Pangai
16. Herman Ese’ese
17. Jai Arrow

Reserve: Benji Marshall
Reserve: Joe Ofahengaue
Reserve: Kodi Nikorima
Reserve: George Fai

Coach: Wayne Bennett

http://www.broncos.com.au/news/2017/03/07/broncos_ins_and_outs.html

Nerd

Bench
Bugger they got us again! Great game shame about the result. I thought we outplayed them just too many silly mistakes in extra time that let them off the hook. Thought Hunt's kicking game was vastly improved possibly his best kicking game ever. There were a few big calls throughout the game, the forward pass from Roberts for the Kahu try that wasn't called and the two holding down penalties against first Blair in front of our line and against Boyd at the other end. There must have been 50 + tackles that went much longer than either tackle but both were deemed a penalty??

Weakened and got Foxtel put back on during the week after an absence of 5 years and couldn't believe how much better the call was than the drivel served up by 9. Only part I could fault was Blocker Roach back in the studio. The guy was a dribbler 5 years ago and certainly hasn't improved any since then.

3. Boyd
2. Gillett
1. Hunt