What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Josh Dugan Told To Shop Himself Around - Not happy with the Dragons.

BennyV

Referee
I've been one calling for Duges to play centre but tactically if we're going to continue to play the power game, that suits a guy like Duges at FB.

Just means we're not really going to be finesse team. It's pretty much what we did in 2015, but we have better forwards now.

It could work.
Could work in the short term or to get us to the Top 8, but it won't win us a title.

I liked what we did with our edges yesterday but we do need creativity and strike out wide, otherwise the better teams will shut our forwards down and we are gone. It's why we need Milne to right centre and Mann somewhere in the team.

In saying that, there's no reason Sugan can't be part of that at fullback.

possm

Coach
I'd like to see the Dragons not become a one trick pony. Why not be able to play a power game when required, an electrifying attacking game playing against plodder opposition and a dour defensive game when playing against a team with flair.

Game plans to suit the opposition and circumstances of the day.
Flexibility in our roster to vary our playing style.

giboz71

First Grade
Could work in the short term or to get us to the Top 8, but it won't win us a title.

I liked what we did with our edges yesterday but we do need creativity and strike out wide, otherwise the better teams will shut our forwards down and we are gone. It's why we need Milne to right centre and Mann somewhere in the team.

In saying that, there's no reason Sugan can't be part of that at fullback.

True.

But it just shows that if get even a little output from our spine, what results can happen. We've had many games in the past where our forwards have won the possession and field position battle. But we didn't have any one in our spine that could take advantage.

Yesterday we did. Widdop in particular was outstanding, his best game in 3 years. And Duges finally showed some creativity from FB that we've been lacking for ages.

I criticise Duges and Widdop quite a bit on here but I'll be also the first to praise them if they step up which both did yesterday. We just need to keep it up.

Last edited:

Old Timer

Coach
Dugan is a gun player and personifies the Dragons of old with his tough no nonsense style of footy.
He is a natural ball runner and if Widdop and Mc Crone continue to take the ball to the line and our forwards can also get though the line with the ball in their hands Dugan will have a field day running of players hips and hitting holes.
His strength and ability to get to his feet quickly when on attack will give us a distinct advantage.
Honestly, if they can do any of the above he will have the defence going backwards trying to cover him and that will open up lots of other attacking opportunities.
I still think FB is his best fit in out team at this time and the correct game plan and execution IMO will prove that to be true.

Reactions: Qdf

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Dugan is a gun player and personifies the Dragons of old with his tough no nonsense style of footy.
He is a natural ball runner and if Widdop and Mc Crone continue to take the ball to the line and our forwards can also get though the line with the ball in their hands Dugan will have a field day running of players hips and hitting holes.
His strength and ability to get to his feet quickly when on attack will give us a distinct advantage.
Honestly, if they can do any of the above he will have the defence going backwards trying to cover him and that will open up lots of other attacking opportunities.
I still think FB is his best fit in out team at this time and the correct game plan and execution IMO will prove that to be true.

One thing I noticed yesterday (or didn't notice) was that he didn't stay down injured at any time in the game.
That's a big turnaround in itself.

Old Timer

Coach
One thing I noticed yesterday (or didn't notice) was that he didn't stay down injured at any time in the game.
That's a big turnaround in itself.
Agreed
I think some of that comes from him having to do so much work in his own half last year and the year before and of course looking for the penalty.
If we stay on a roll going forward it will be thing of the past I reckon.

Ace-STi

Juniors
Oh, the manager is dong plenty of talking alright. Not about contracts though.
More to come :)
Hmm interesting.... care to elaborate?

Spoke to Dufty last night at members function you could tell the guy is busting for FG... he said don't quote me but Dugan wants big $$$$$

Old Timer

Coach

Spoke to Dufty last night at members function you could tell the guy is busting for FG... he said don't quote me but Dugan wants big $$$$$
If Dufty said that he is a jerk and you shouldnt be repeating it, let alone asking not to be quoted
No good can possibly come from such posts.
Maybe Dufty has a touch of young Hastings about him I sincerely hope not.

Gomarchin

Juniors

On yesterday's performance he deserves the big $$$$$!!!

Ace-STi

Juniors
Hence the :joy::joy: after it

Anyway really is it any different to what is known?

This was an open function in a big group where people were openly talking in a group... I fished and heard and so did others

I was sharing info and the kid desperately wants to have his position which is fair enough!

If you want I'll delete all comments

TomRedVRiver

Bench
A recent article from the Tele (I know... It's the Telegraph) has said that it's decision time for Dugan within the club. Either he accepts the offer put on the table (750,000k a year for three years) or they drop all negotiations and move him on at season's end.
Letting Widdop and Dugan go will free in the vicinity of 1.5mil a season and according to the article "It is believed the Dragons have a rival No. 1 in their sights but right now they are playing their cards close to their chest."

Dragons head of recruitment Ian Millward said the club wanted to keep Dugan but also had to be realistic in respect to the salary cap.
“We are in negotiations but there is a value we put on (Dugan) and there is a value we put on his position,” Millward said.

Duck63

Juniors
Hence the :joy::joy: after it

Anyway really is it any different to what is known?

This was an open function in a big group where people were openly talking in a group... I fished and heard and so did others

I was sharing info and the kid desperately wants to have his position which is fair enough!

If you want I'll delete all comments
Poor form "Ace-STi" sounds like just stirring up shit and yes it is well known that Duges is after the big $$$$

dragonssamy61

First Grade

I call bs Dufty wouldn't know what dugan has been offered.
And i dout he cares
Also I was at the same function.

Last edited:

TomRedVRiver

Bench
I posted this in another thread but i'll post it here where it's a little more relevant.

In relation to this Telegraph article.. If this talk about the club targeting a rival fullback is true the only player that makes sense is Tedesco.

Now Dufty still has an opportunity to prove himself this year, I truly believe he has what it takes and if he succeeds then all this rival fullback talk is pointless.
However, IF (and please understand me when I say IF) someone like Tedesco is in the frame, then the club needs to throw everything they have at him. Tedesco is a once in a generation player, he is the kind of player than could single handedly win you a game and he will undoubtedly be the NSW fullback for years to come.
It makes me a little bit sick to my stomach to say that because Dufty has put so much hard work in, but Tedesco is just in a league of his own and if he is willing to open himself to negotiations, the club should offer him a contract he can't refuse.

But again as I said, if Dufty proves himself all this talk is pointless. And don't get me wrong I WANT him to succeed. But this is James Tedesco we're talking about.

Latest posts