What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sheffield Shield Season 2016/17

Pierson has hit 50+ in both digs. Burns a start, nothing else. 5 ducks in SACAS innings, Lehmann with 60 odd top scoring. Zampa took 10 for the match.

TheFrog

Coach
Tasmania well ahead though, lead of 237.
NSW now batting to avoid defeat only, they have no chance of winning whatsoever.

The situation in this match exposes a weakness in the scoring system for the shield. NSW have no chance of winning, yet will receive nothing if they manage to bat until after tea tomorrow and secure the draw. Tasmania are a distant last on the table, so its not a disadvantage to NSW if they win. Other states still in the running receive no advantage from NSW losing. NSW might as well just get all out today and play golf tomorrow. It should be one or two points to each side for a draw.

tomdl

Bench
That was an absolutely wofeul innings from Head. Can't believe so many people want him to be in the test team.

T-Boon

Coach
How old is old man Bollinger these days? Its a bit of a worry for Australian cricket if this guy is keeping the young NSW talent out. Why isn't Cummins playing in this game?

Bazal

Post Whore
How old is old man Bollinger these days? Its a bit of a worry for Australian cricket if this guy is keeping the young NSW talent out. Why isn't Cummins playing in this game?

Bollinger isn't keeping anyone out who deserves to play instead of him. In a side missing Hazlewood and Starc, he's still a lock as part of the best attack even without CA wrapping Cummins in cotton wool.

T-Boon

Coach
Bollinger isn't keeping anyone out who deserves to play instead of him. In a side missing Hazlewood and Starc, he's still a lock as part of the best attack even without CA wrapping Cummins in cotton wool.

I hope our production line of brilliant quicks isn't drying up.

tomdl

Bench
Cummins shouldn't even be considered for the Ashes squad right now. Sayers and Behrendorf should be considered well before him. Pity the selectors have probably already pencilled Cummins name in. Still riding the waves of the potential he showed 5yrs ago.

T-Boon

Coach
The situation in this match exposes a weakness in the scoring system for the shield.

It is a bizzaro world scoring system. Its something I think people would accuse me of coming up with.

I think NSW missed the final last year even though they had more wins and more first innings than Victoria.

Bazal

Post Whore
I'd take Cartwright, Patterson & Lehmann before Head.

I'd agree with Cartwright, and Patterson on form deserves a chance although like I said elsewhere I can't help but feel he's batting above his ability this season. Head would be above Lehmann though, comfortably.

It's sad but in a full strength side I still think our best 6 is Shaun Marsh....fact is we haven't got anyone really standing out for the job at the moment. Head has international experience so he's no less an option than Cartwright or Patterson or whoever else IMO

Bazal

Post Whore
I hope our production line of brilliant quicks isn't drying up.

The two best fast bowlers in the world at the moment are NSW bowlers, and Cummins is potentially better than either if the bloke can stay fit....our production line is just fine

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member

He was cleared to play by the powers that be about a day or so before the game but named him 12th man, he'll no doubt play the next game.

steggz

Juniors
The situation in this match exposes a weakness in the scoring system for the shield. NSW have no chance of winning, yet will receive nothing if they manage to bat until after tea tomorrow and secure the draw. Tasmania are a distant last on the table, so its not a disadvantage to NSW if they win. Other states still in the running receive no advantage from NSW losing. NSW might as well just get all out today and play golf tomorrow. It should be one or two points to each side for a draw.

You do realise that under the old points system, there was nothing for a draw either?

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Cummins named for Shield return
Cricket NSW Media

NSW bowler Pat Cummins is set to play his first Sheffield Shield match in 2178 days after being selected in a 13-man squad for the Blues’ match against South Australia at the Sydney Cricket Ground starting tomorrow (March 7).

Cummins last wore the baggy blue cap in the 2010/11 Sheffield Shield Final against Tasmania.

He has since made his Test, ODI and T20 debuts for Australia, while also spending time out of the game through injury.

The 23 year old has had an uninterrupted return to cricket this season, playing for NSW in the Matador Cup and Futures League, the Sydney Thunder and Australia in the 50-over and T20 formats, as well as regular appearances for Penrith in the McDonalds NSW Premier Cricket competition.

Cummins is looking forward to ending the near-six year Sheffield Shield layoff.

“I’m pumped, at the start of the year I had a couple of goals and one of those was to get back in the ODI squad for Australia and the other was to play Shield cricket,” said Cummins.

“I’m pretty happy to be near the end of the season and hopefully have ticked off both of those goals.

“I’ve got to find the baggy blue at the back of the cupboard!

“I feel like I have been playing a lot of cricket, and I’ve been able to play a few First Class games in the last couple of years.

“But it is pretty scary to think how long ago my last Shield game was for NSW.

“It is where it all started for me, I’m just so keen to get back out there.”

Gordon legspinner Mason Crane has also been included in a 13-man squad for the clash with South Australia.

English-born Crane has been a revolution for Gordon in the NSW Premier Cricket competition, taking 45 wickets at an average 20.2.

The Hampshire cricketer has excelled in 2017, with three seven-wicket innings in First Grade since January.

Sheffield Shield – Round 9

NSW v South Australia

Sydney Cricket Ground

7-10 March 2017

NSW Squad:

Moises Henriques (Captain)

Sean Abbott

Doug Bollinger

Trent Copeland

Ed Cowan

Mason Crane

Pat Cummins

Daniel Hughes

Nick Larkin

Nic Maddinson

Peter Nevill

Kurtis Patterson

Wil Somerville

http://www.cricketnsw.com.au/news/pat-cummins-named-for-sheffield-shield-return/2017-03-06

Latest posts