What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What would get you sent off?

wibble

Bench
It is really bizarre that in an era when the NRL automatically sin bins punching (which results in all sorts of niggly shit) and suspends for innocuous shoulder charges, because they both look bad (and they do, to non hard core fans), that they are more happy to accept elbows, kicks, trips, attacking injuries, and closed fist high shots than in some of the darker, past years. I would think they'd be a poor look too.

It would take a Ben Flower like madness on Thurston or some other popular star in a big rating match for the NRL to introduce a kneejerk rule on send offs that will see them increase...

blaza88z

Coach
I don't know what it would take specifically but you'd need a knife at least, they don't like sending players unless another player from the other teams goes as well (thus negating any sort of advantage, but still asserting some authority)

Knight76

Juniors
Barnett should of hit the deck like a sack of spuds when burgess hit him with the elbow. Not that I condone that sort of thing but hey, you gotta roll with the elbows.

Would have forced the refs hand. This one was a case of send off based on injury, there wasn't one so no send off. Plus the ref got to bin him so he could still look tough.

RufusRex

Post Whore
Luke O'Donnell spear tackle on Boyd in origin ...that for me is the worst thing not sent off for in memory.

Iafeta

Referee
How about the Souffs centre. Easily should have been sent off for his high tackle.

But to answer your question, looking at the ref weird and then having the audacity to tackle a bloke. Just ask Wade McKinnon for the Warriors v West Tigers in I think 2008. Paul Simpkins lost the plot and sent him off for phantom kneeing a player.

skeepe

Immortal
Minichiello's double flying elbow is the last send off I remember seeing in person.

jc155776

Coach
Greg Bird knee on Martinee. Barely touched but fair enough send enough. Bring it back. Clean the game up.

BestHookerRein

Juniors
In all seriousness, I'd probably get sent off for hitting a ref, but only because I found out he's sleeping with my wife.

Maybe I die. Skydiving explosion. And then he goes and marries April. And it makes me sad. But if she’s gonna be with somebody, I’d like it to be him. Only, I didn’t really die. I was faking it. And I come back. I spy on them from my red Corvette. And I’m planning to kick his ass, but I see how happy he makes her. And I have to walk away. I have to. And I do. Slowly. In a rainstorm. But as time goes by it eats away at me. He's out living it up with my wife. And I’m alone, in a cave. Training.

I thought he was my friend…I THOUGHT HE WAS MY FRIEND!

skeepe

Immortal
How about the Souffs centre. Easily should have been sent off for his high tackle.

But to answer your question, looking at the ref weird and then having the audacity to tackle a bloke. Just ask Wade McKinnon for the Warriors v West Tigers in I think 2008. Paul Simpkins lost the plot and sent him off for phantom kneeing a player.

The fact that he's facing 4 weeks with the early plea indicates that he definitely should have been sent.

How can a tackle that will see you miss 4-6 matches not deemed a send off?

Iafeta

Referee
The fact that he's facing 4 weeks with the early plea indicates that he definitely should have been sent.

How can a tackle that will see you miss 4-6 matches not deemed a send off?

The video referee had ample time to look at it as well. Four on field officials and the bunker and somehow a blatant ordering off head high stays on the field, he didn't even get a stern warning from the ref.

Canard

Immortal
The video referee had ample time to look at it as well. Four on field officials and the bunker and somehow a blatant ordering off head high stays on the field, he didn't even get a stern warning from the ref.

Isn't the bunker no longer allowed to rule on these types of incidents?

Paullyboy

Coach
I can actually understand the Souths centre (Hunt I think) not being sent. As a matter of fact, I think his suspension is over the top. It was bad, but the angle of the Knights player could have contributed a lot to it.

George Burgess should have been sent off and suspended for 4 weeks minimum though. It was absolutely shocking and a cheap shot. It just shows how important it is to have a recognisable name (even if it is only recognisable thanks to his brother).

Knight76

Juniors
Hunts suspension is worse due to his priors.

I have no idea what the bunker does. But when Burgess got Barnett, the ref stood there for a good minute, finger up to his ear piece going, aha, yep, right etc. Then just bins him.

I assume he was getting some sort of report from the bunker as the lineys would have just walked over and told him. So either the bunker didn't mention the dog shot elbow, or the send off is a thing of the past.

I'd love to hear the audio that the ref was hearing right then.

Frailty

First Grade
I find it funny that in the golden age of rugby league thuggery you'd get sent off for much less. Now it seems you actually have to bring a weapon on the field to be sent off.

If the game really had concern for concussion and player safety, the send off would become more common place.

Latest posts