What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hong Kong Rugby League

yakstorm

First Grade
Trust me the HKRL does not see that comment as a criticism Spinner, and they more then understand the need to not only increase the number of people getting exposed to the game in the region, but also make sure there is an ever increasing number of locals being part of that group.

Whilst in the contact version of the game the split isn't great, there was still a significant increase in the number of people of Asian heritage taking part in 2016 vs 2015. Naturally the HKRL will use those who have had a taste in League to encourage them to bring their friends and family moving forward.

Where the HKRL has had significantly more success is with the Tag competitions in particular the weekly Social Tag. Here the split is sometimes as great as 80 - 20 locals v ex-pats.

More events, more regularly and appealing to different skill levels is the other strategy the HKRL is looking at however as you'd be aware Spinner, the more you do the more time, effort and resources required from those running the organisation to achieve it all.

spinnerhowland

Juniors
Trust me the HKRL does not see that comment as a criticism Spinner, and they more then understand the need to not only increase the number of people getting exposed to the game in the region, but also make sure there is an ever increasing number of locals being part of that group.

Whilst in the contact version of the game the split isn't great, there was still a significant increase in the number of people of Asian heritage taking part in 2016 vs 2015. Naturally the HKRL will use those who have had a taste in League to encourage them to bring their friends and family moving forward.

Where the HKRL has had significantly more success is with the Tag competitions in particular the weekly Social Tag. Here the split is sometimes as great as 80 - 20 locals v ex-pats.

More events, more regularly and appealing to different skill levels is the other strategy the HKRL is looking at however as you'd be aware Spinner, the more you do the more time, effort and resources required from those running the organisation to achieve it all.

This is great news. China offers a huge market for our sport. And the NRL has thrown the initial dollars as they were asked for to give it a shot at development. Awesome work on the ground by all involved

DlEHARD

Juniors
HK Residents win in Pattaya, Thailand
http://www.hongkongrugbyleague.com

Two tries in the final ten minutes has given the Hong Kong Residents a 20-16 win over the Thailand Residents in the first ever international match played in Pattaya, Thailand.

Thailand Residents dominated the third quarter to lead 16-8 and were poised for victory until Hong Kong Residents surged through tries to winger Rob Hotchin and back rower Hugh Quinivan.

Warm but comfortable conditions greeted the players and after a brief welcoming ceremony for Hong Kong who were making their inaugural tour to Thailand the match got underway.

Some brutal exchanges from both sets of forwards early saw a number of possession turnovers in which one led to the first try of the match when Hong Kong winger Hotchin scored the first of his double taking advantage of an overlap. The conversion was unsuccessful.

Just before the first break, Thailand got on the scoreboard when fullback Sakul Chopaka scored after the ball was kept alive close to the tryline. The try was not converted and the scores were locked at 4 all at quarter time.

Shortly after the resumption, outstanding Hong Kong fullback Doug Fluker busted his way through and showed good pace to round the cover defence and score out wide. Fluker failed to convert his own try.

Thailand’s left side attack was proving to be a formidable challenge for the Hong Kong defence with big centre Kane Epati putting his winger Richard Chigumba over only for the ball to be spilled which proved to be a lost chance.

Hong Kong led 8-4 at half time.

Flying Thai Residents winger Chigumba certainly made up for his earlier error before half time when he scored a magnificent try. Centre Epati broke through and put Chigumba away and raced down the sideline then turned two cover defenders inside out to score one of the great tries. Ben Geldart converted which put the Thai Residents in front 10-8.

The Thai forwards were starting to make inroads up the middle and had Hong Kong on the ropes. A shift to the right saw Julien Domenech into some space and after a dummy he streaked away to score under the posts in his first game of Rugby League. Geldart converted and the Thai Residents were out to a 16-8 lead which remained until three quarter time.

Hong Kong certainly picked up the pace in the final quarter and were dominating possession after Thailand failed to stop the ball going dead from the kick off.

Hong Kong took full advantage and crossed out wide but Thai back rower Marcel Aloumbe made a remarkable tackle to hold the player up.

It was short lived however when Hong Kong centre Ian Molyneux broke the line and put Hotchin over for his second try. Fluker converted from the sideline and it was game on with the Thai Residents leading 16-14.

Hong Kong continued to capitalise on some poor ball control and Hugh Quinivan scored what would be the match winning try with six minutes remaining when he took an offload and forced his way over. Fluker converted for a 20-16 lead.

A nervous few minutes lay ahead for Hong Kong and with some simple handling errors on their own line gave Thailand a chance to steal the game. They went very close to scoring but a pushed pass gave Hong Kong the ball and a thrilling victory.

Hong Kong’s Toby Lei, a former Sydney Roosters Under 20’s squad member had a very strong game playing prop and was judged the player of the match at the after match presentation by the resort’s pool. Fullback Fluker, winger Hotchin and prop Lee Griffiths also had strong games.

Kane Epati, Marcel Aloumbe and William Evans were the best for the Thailand Residents.

A well deserved away victory for Hong Kong in a gruelling match played in great spirit.

HONG KONG RESIDENTS 20 (Rob Hotchin 2, Doug Fluker, Hugh Quinivan tries; Doug Fluker 2 goals) defeated THAILAND RESIDENTS 16 (Sakul Chopaka, Richard Chigumba, Julien Domenech tries; Ben Geldart 2 goals).

Played at Horseshoe Point Resort, Pattaya Thailand on 28th May 2016. Crowd: 100. Referee: Ron Washington. Penalties: Hong Kong 10-8. Half time: Hong Kong 8-4.

yakstorm

First Grade
Inaugural Hong Kong Origin game took place in Kowloon on Saturday with the Hong Kong Islands (Yellow & Orange) defeating the Kowloon & New Territories side (Blue & Black) 38 - 4.

In the accompanying Tag game, the Islands won 7 - 5.

FB_IMG_1468123890851.jpg

DlEHARD

Juniors
Hong Kong Rugby League now has an online store.

http://hongkongrugbyleague.com/shop/

14222349_733709780102925_3354013137845479930_n.jpg

DlEHARD

Juniors
nineslaunch.jpg

HKRL is set for a huge year in 2017, with more fixtures and competitions than ever before for players and supporters to get involved with.

With a number of huge announcements to be made in the coming weeks, you can catch up below with all the plans for 2017 that have already been announced so far.

HKRL 9s is back!

The third annual HKRL Nines tournament will return to King's Park, Kowloon on Saturday, April 22 with applications for teams now open.

As a first for a Hong Kong Nines tournament, the HKRL will be welcoming two international teams to join six domestic sides in the eight team tournament. The first confirmed entry of the tournament are the Diamond Chiefs from Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea. You can read all about their great story here.

HK Residents XIII return to Manila

Following on from 2016’s hugely successful tour to Thailand, HK Residents XIII will be returning to Manila, Philippines this year on March 17th – 19th where they will be looking to continue their 100% winning record against a very strong Philippines National League Selection side.

Rula Bula to continue partnership with HKRL in 2017

HKRL are delighted to announce that Rula Bula will continue to be the official bar for all things Rugby League in Hong Kong for another year.

PaulyTom

Juniors
Looks good. Hopefully an NRL , Super League game can be taken there in years to come or a 9s tournament .

DlEHARD

Juniors
Local Filipinos make International League History
http://www.asiapacificrl.com/2017/03/20/local-filipinos-make-international-league-history/
FB_IMG_1489996249511.jpg

Philippines National Rugby League (PNRL) Vice President Paul Sheedy, on the last minute decided to do a FIFO and fly from Australia to the Philippines, to take part and witness Rugby League history being made in the country.

Supporting an all local Filipino representative team the Philippines Admirals playing their first International match in the country against a touring Hong Kong Residents side.

PNRL VP Paul Sheedy was not disappointed stating:

“The Admirals went down 58-8 in a solid game.

The Admirals gallantly tried and were rewarded with 2 second half tries, with the historical first by John Franklin Agunod of the Manila Storm team and the second by Jay Caña from the Central Luzon Crusaders team. The 400 strong local crowd cheered empathically as if the Philippines had won the game as John and Jay scored for the country.

For many of the local Filipinos it was their first International match and although the score line wasn’t flattering to the home team, the crowd loved the spectacle and most will be back again.

The Hong Kong side played in great spirits, being fiercely competitive, yet helping the Pinoy players out, with encouragement during the match.”

The emotion of the International match was not lost to the local Filipino players with history making first International try scorer John Franklin Agunod stating:

“I felt like I was going to cry, at the moment when I dove the ball over the try line,
because it’s my first time to score a try for my country in an International game”.

And his fellow International Jay Caña, commenting after he scored the second try:

“I felt so happy, motivated and proud for us Philippines Admirals and us Crusaders for scoring that second try, even though we lost that game. It gives us inspiration and courage to love playing Rugby League.

Having now represented my country it has motivated me to train more, to develop my skills and play hard, to stand again and win.”

Papua New Guinea (PNG) national Tim Buipe, made history 2 years ago being appointed as a local Development Officer and helping establish the Manila Storm team.

In this first International for local players in the Philippines Tim was appointed the national coach commenting:

“It was a massive honour for me to coach the first Local development team. I was actually in tears when I heard the Filipino National anthem. I felt like I’m a Filipino already. I’m really proud of the local boys they played with their heart”.

“The Greatest Game of All” is well on its way to establishing a foot hold in the Philippines!

HONG KONG RESIDENTS XIII 58 bt PHILIPPINES ADMIRALS 8 (John Franklin Agunod & Jay Caña try) at Emperor Stadium, Mckinley Hill, Taguig City, Philippines.
Referee: Paul Sheedy. Crowd: 400.

adamkungl

Immortal
Good stuff. Philippines set up seems promising, I think they'll have a serious crack at the next qualifiers (obviously with their Aus based players playing a big part) for the 16 team 2021 WC if they are eligible.

Knownothing

Juniors
Didn't Graeme Langlands live there for a few years, running a bar, IIRC? Maybe some of his genes floating around the the local population?

The Partisan

Yeah Changa spent a number of years over there.

Also believe a reasonable amount of PNG citizens study over there ...so you'd think there'd be a few RL interested types in there.

Well done to both camps behind the HKRL and PRL for arranging this game.

DlEHARD

Juniors
Yeah Changa spent a number of years over there.

Also believe a reasonable amount of PNG citizens study over there ...so you'd think there'd be a few RL interested types in there.

Well done to both camps behind the HKRL and PRL for arranging this game.

I actually have some first hand experience playing with the HKXIII in 2015 in Manilla. It really is a country that we should help out in anyway we can, they re very enthusiastic and a little goes a long way,

Before the boys headed over in 2017 they did a collection of gear to donate.

And about the PNG students you are right. Manila Storm was set up and the Philippines Admirals were coached by Tim Buipe, a passionate RL man from PNG who is a student and also development officer with PNRL. A finer RL pioneer you won't find.

I'm pretty excited about the work the Philippines are doing, domestic comp, the home grown Admirals and of course their Australian based squads. It all comes together.

DlEHARD

Juniors
I also love the references to the Hong Kong players encouraging the Admirals players. An excellent show of respect and brotherhood, between countries and within the game. That was certainly my experience.

jim_57

Staff member
I actually have some first hand experience playing with the HKXIII in 2015 in Manilla. It really is a country that we should help out in anyway we can, they re very enthusiastic and a little goes a long way,

Before the boys headed over in 2017 they did a collection of gear to donate.

And about the PNG students you are right. Manila Storm was set up and the Philippines Admirals were coached by Tim Buipe, a passionate RL man from PNG who is a student and also development officer with PNRL. A finer RL pioneer you won't find.

I'm pretty excited about the work the Philippines are doing, domestic comp, the home grown Admirals and of course their Australian based squads. It all comes together.

Wouldn't be too surprised to see Asian nations have some success in the medium term as a heritage players emerge for the national teams. It is awesome that the domestic game is taking off to go along with this.

Next World Cup maybe go with an Middle East/Asia group for qualifiers.

paulmac

Juniors
With Lebanon technically an Asian country,we could see an Asian Cup with the winner earning a spot at the RLWC.
Lebanon ,Thailand,Phillipines, Japan & Hong Kong.Mandatory minimum of 8 homegrown players out of a match day 17 to bring the Cedars back to the pack a bit.

adamkungl

Immortal
I've said elsewhere Asia should split from the Pacific group and be joined with Africa for the short term.
South Africa, Thailand, Philippines Lebanon would be a great comp.

adamkungl

Immortal
A helluva lot of travel there, big time differences too.

Have to do it centrally/in one location. Time differences don't matter so much, these games are sadly never televised anyway.

The main reason is there simply isn't enough competition for either Africa or Asia alone.

Latest posts