What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rate Gareth Widdop

Old Timer

Coach
I'm busy and already had several people to reply to. You are second to last in terms of importance. I will get back to you when I have time and nothing better to do. Before that, I have a homework assignment for you. Try computing in your p*a brain why an oppostion coach as ruthless as Bellamy would be silent before Widdop was signed by a rival club but then come out and be full of praise after he was signed.
I hate Bellamy but admire his bloody-mindedness toward rivals and his ruthlessness. This is precisely what we need.
Don't rush I want you to digest the info re Bellamy rather than give the glib response you just posted.
He didn't say anything before obviously to try and discourage people from going after him but being a decent chap he certainly spoke volumes about him afterwards as he had done previously with other players he reluctantlty let go.
No doubt Bellamy would love to have Widdop right at this moment and he is a very good judge of players.

Capital

Juniors
Obviously you don't read everything people post and therefore falsely accuse them of things that you wish to keep banging on about.
I have previously criticised him and have never stated that he is an immortal Dragon or the like.
By the way I have never met Widdop, don't know anyone who knows him, have no intel as to his contract etc I just believe him to have ability and would like to see that all come to fruition while he plays with our club.
You keep going on about Bennett as if that should have some relevance.
He has already stated that he has Milford and is more than happy with him so why would he need Widdop anyway.
After all you don't replace a 7 with a 6
like we did with Marshall which turned out catastrophic and waisted 2 years.
Now you need to get up to speed as Bellamy who is probably the best NRL coach in the last 10 years had plenty of good things to say about Widdop.
He would have kept him but obvious cap constraints and Widdop's own desire made that unachievable.
I personally don't like Bellamy but I do take his comments seriously and believe him to be a great judge of footballers.
Do you think Bellamy is a dud coach or a bad judge of footballers?
Why are you not willing to admit that his superior knowledge in these areas should be accepted over your warped perceptions?

Really? I don't suppose you could point to a specific example? I checked your message history and saw numerous examples of messages which were in a nutshell, like the following: "Yes, Widdop was shat but it was **********'s fault."

So it's more of an infatuation?

Well it's been over 3 years. How long should we wait?

Because there is a lot of talk about him wanting Mitchell Moses. A player similar to Widdop in size, speed, evasive ability, power and defensive ability. That is to say, both are lacking it. But nothing at all alike in playmaking ability. Moses has it, Widdop doesn't. Not sure about kicking. Widdop's kicking in general play is awful which is why McCrone does the vast majority if it but not sure about Moses.

Not like Bennett wants to or like Stuart did or like they did at Parramatta and so on.

I addressed this already but I'm quite stunned anyone other than supercoach Price would be stupid enough to believe it and I don't. I think it's just people deluding themselves. Trying to make themselves believe Widdop isn't a lemon.

Capital

Juniors
Don't rush I want you to digest the info re Bellamy rather than give the glib response you just posted.
He didn't say anything before obviously to try and discourage people from going after him but being a decent chap he certainly spoke volumes about him afterwards as he had done previously with other players he reluctantlty let go.
No doubt Bellamy would love to have Widdop right at this moment and he is a very good judge of players.

Yeah, maybe you are right. Bellamy would prefer Widdop to Cameron Munster. And he was trying to keep it a secret Widdop was off contract. He wasn't going to tell anyone and have Widdop run around (as a fringe first grader) the following year without paying him anything at all. Makes sense.

No, what happened was that Widdop or his management approached Bellamy and were told Widdop wasn't required anymore but that he would keep it a secret in order to try and increase the value of Widdop's next contract. Then when Widdop was picked up by an unfortunate sucker, Bellamy was full of praise for him. Bellamy is ruthless, devious and scheming. I hate him but wish we had him on our side.............

ALSGI

Bench
Highest point scorer in the NRL atm so far.
Still wiping egg off my pre season posts - hapily.
I'd give him a new contract but only after playing, Mann, Field or others first.
Unless.......there's another 6 signed?

Old Timer

Coach
Where the hell is Glenn 01?
Widdop kicks a few goals, scores a few tries, saves a few tries, sets up a few tries and the big bag of wind has gone silent.
Surely he has got something positive to contribute to this thread?
Hardly fair that we now only have apprentices offering their opinions on how bad Widdop supposedly is.

possm

Coach
If Widdop's, and Dugan's contract is extended, it is unlikely there would be cap space available to sign Tedesco or any other established fullback. My guess is that Widdop's contract will not be extednded and if the Roosters miss Tedesco, they might just sign Dugan to pair with Ferguson in the centres and Mitchell to play fullback in 2018.

Capital

Juniors
If Widdop's, and Dugan's contract is extended, it is unlikely there would be cap space available to sign Tedesco or any other established fullback. My guess is that Widdop's contract will not be extednded and if the Roosters miss Tedesco, they might just sign Dugan to pair with Ferguson in the centres and Mitchell to play fullback in 2018.
Neither we or any other club has shown an interest in signing Widdop. They (the club) are trying the same trick Bellamy played on us but....... Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. I doubt even loser clubs like Wests Tigers will pick him up if they lose Moses.

possm

Coach
When Widdop joined the Dragons he was a match winner for us. Then there was Mary's game plan which didn't make sense and was impossible to carry out. Winning under this static plan was so difficult. Widdop was changed from a match winner to a robotic loser.

Capital

Juniors
When Widdop joined the Dragons he was a match winner for us. Then there was Mary's game plan which didn't make sense and was impossible to carry out. Winning under this static plan was so difficult. Widdop was changed from a match winner to a robotic loser.
possm, with all due respect, he wasn't. Why do you think Price was sacked?

Old Timer

Coach
Capital
Read it and weep because the club has put paid to your myth and stated openly that the retention of Widdop and Dugan is a priority.
Even to the point that it is a priority more important than resolving the coaching issue.
Your entire argument of Widdop not being wanted has been blown away like a fart on a breeze.
So far all your ranting and raving the very club you profess to support wholeheartedly has ignored you and seen fit to seek the signature of your arch nemesis.
I cannot wait for the deal to be done and you having to cop it, no doubt you will make the 4th July and New years Eve look like a few tom thumbs going off.

Capital

Juniors
Capital
Read it and weep because the club has put paid to your myth and stated openly that the retention of Widdop and Dugan is a priority.
Even to the point that it is a priority more important than resolving the coaching issue.
Your entire argument of Widdop not being wanted has been blown away like a fart on a breeze.
So far all your ranting and raving the very club you profess to support wholeheartedly has ignored you and seen fit to seek the signature of your arch nemesis.
I cannot wait for the deal to be done and you having to cop it, no doubt you will make the 4th July and New years Eve look like a few tom thumbs going off.
Yeah, you are right. He is "a priority", wink wink, nudge nudge. Still haven't made him an offer but he is a priority nonetheless. We are talking about Widdop here. Not as if other clubs are beating down the door trying to sign him. No talk of deadlines and etc. If you were able to put your infatuation aside and think about coolly, you would see that he is most definitely not "a priority".

We could argue about his until he actually signs with us or another NRL club, retires or goes to the ESL.

I just want to know:
1. About your infatuation. Is it something which came gradually or was it love at first sight? Did it develop before he came to SGI?
2. If in the unlikely event another NRL club picks him up (as I said about no one showing any interest at all) will you support that club?

Capital

Juniors
I find it fascinating that I thought Mbye is a Widdop-esqu lemon and went to the Grubs forum to check it out. They are calling for the head of not only Mbye but Reynolds and Liccha. Yet, on this forum people go crazy (just look though this thread or just this page! Incredible stuff!) at any criticism of Widdop. Reynolds is poor, without doubt but from the Grubs games I have seen, he is light-years ahead of Widdop.

Why is this? I think it's due to a losing culture at SGI and an inferiority complex in relation to clubs like Melbourne, Broncos, Grubs and Rorters.

SEAT 1A

Bench
Nope, as expected there is absolutely no admiration for Mbye, Reynolds or Liccha on the Bullgrubs forum. They are furious with Hasler for signing them and can't wait to see the back of the the latter 2 this year. Reynolds and Mbye IMO are also lemons but way better than Widdop.

Now the fascination perks up still more. How the hell did Widdop command the uncompromising loyalty of so many on this forum and be the object of Old Timers infatuation????

With all due respect Capital. The Doggies supports haven't gone through Price/Mary era, it's new to them.

I must say, I'm enjoying their meltdown and apparently, Des doesn't fit into their culture. There wasn't a peep about culture when Des had them going well. Can't see Des being there after this year.

Can't say we have been to kind towards Mary, most of the forum members basically think he can't coach, credit to him though regarding this years performance however, the club had to make many changes to accommodate him.

I don't there has been uncompromising loalty to Widdop, he has copped plenty however, this year he has been one of our best.

Capital

Juniors
I don't there has been uncompromising loalty to Widdop, he has copped plenty however, this year he has been one of our best.
With all due respect, that is utter nonsense! Look through this thread and note when it was started. The guy takes the idea of a "protected species" to a whole new level. See the following exchange I had on another thread.
Wasting any part of our cap on ( as quoted in other comments ) the worst player to have the C beside his name. Just my opinion, but I've watched him closely for 3 yrs & I don't believe he personally is doing "that much better " to think he is all of a sudden a Marquee player that will blend well with Hunt. I do hear he is a nice bloke though.
How did you get away with that comment without anyone freaking out and claiming you are not you but me? Of course you are right. So far this year Widdop has played one good game (but not especially so compared to other team members), one crap game (but the whole team other than perhaps DeBellin, Vaughan and Duges was very poor) one crap game where it was business as usual and he was the weakest link in attack and defense and last week where he was average at best. This being so, his form has improved a lot but in any club with a winning culture, supporters would still be demanding he be dropped.

But I must say this is starting to look like the great Widdop fraud part 3.
1. He was good before McIdiot took over. Does anyone remember why the club was so desperate to sign Marshal and why supercocah Price was sacked?
2. Widdop played well in the semi against the Grubs a few years back. We all saw how the smaller, fitter Dragons were running all over the fat Grubs in the last 20 or so min of that game. Check the stats and see how taking full advantage like all good halves do, how many tries, try assists, line breaks and line break assists Widdop had. And then check mistakes and missed tackles. Not even taking into account THAT kick.
3. As above. Surely, only Old Timer would contest the best so far this season have been in no particular order, Duges, Vaughn, Thommo, Frizz, McInnes and JDB. IMO Widdop has been the worst. I know McCrone has been poor but look how much McCrone does in attack and defence and kicking. Why does he have to do so much? We have another half on the books who is apparently a superstar.

possm

Coach
If Hunt is willing to become the organiser, Field or Mann are our best option for the 6 jumper because;
Both have more speed.
Both run to the line.
Both are more elusive.
Both are an economical option leaving funds available to sign a fullback.

Old Timer

Coach
Love the comment from Andrew johns...that 3rd try pass by widdop was Wally lewis like. 3 tries set up by Widdop...and yet Vas says he is not up to 1st grade standard.

I think its time to close this thread and say goodbye to Vas and all his personalities.
Can't wait to see what they come up with next as a criticism.
He is playing great footy and nothing better than his try saving tackle an absolute ball tearer and true lead by example quality about it.

Latest posts