What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Red Alert! Coaches Magic Chairs

possm

Coach
It's definitely time for a change. We need a good coach to manage a roster of players who are capable of making the GF in 2018.

loveoursaints

Juniors
It's definitely time for a change. We need a good coach to manage a roster of players who are capable of making the GF in 2018.
Who do you suggest? Cleary is gone. Hasler will soon take up a new contract with his grub team and I would not want him anyway, his brand of footy is even more boring than ours was in 2016. Madge is useless, past 2 years his record is less than Mary's. Smith from super league already said no thanks. So that leaves who? Be realistic with your reply. Who is available to approach? Please quote their coaching win/ loss over the past 2 years. Let's see if their record is actually better than our current good coach. Bring it on....

possm

Coach
Who do you suggest? Cleary is gone. Hasler will soon take up a new contract with his grub team and I would not want him anyway, his brand of footy is even more boring than ours was in 2016. Madge is useless, past 2 years his record is less than Mary's. Smith from super league already said no thanks. So that leaves who? Be realistic with your reply. Who is available to approach? Please quote their coaching win/ loss over the past 2 years. Let's see if their record is actually better than our current good coach. Bring it on....
It's really hard to say. If the Dragon's board got off it's ass and tabled offers to the coaches still not signed, we might be in with a chance.

It's hard to give a realistic answer at this stage mainly because we do not really know what is on the mind of our Board. In any case it would be hard to give a realistic answer to a question that is not realistic in itself.

The best I can do is say:
Cleary is not yet signed. Table an offer and see what happens.
Hasler is not yet signed, arrange a WIN TV sponsorship to make a superior offer.
Bennett is off-side with the Bronco's community, make an offer, you never know.
Buy Tedesco or a top line fullback, coaches like a good roster to work with.
Finalise a deal with WIN TV, coaches like a financially healthy and stable Club.

I'm sure there are so many more things that can be done. People closer to Club management could most certainly put forward more options with a more detailed knowledge of the Club's capacity..

loveoursaints

Juniors
It's really hard to say. If the Dragon's board got off it's ass and tabled offers to the coaches still not signed, we might be in with a chance.

It's hard to give a realistic answer at this stage mainly because we do not really know what is on the mind of our Board. In any case it would be hard to give a realistic answer to a question that is not realistic in itself.

The best I can do is say:
Cleary is not yet signed. Table an offer and see what happens.
Hasler is not yet signed, arrange a WIN TV sponsorship to make a superior offer.
Bennett is off-side with the Bronco's community, make an offer, you never know.
Buy Tedesco or a top line fullback, coaches like a good roster to work with.
Finalise a deal with WIN TV, coaches like a financially healthy and stable Club.

I'm sure there are so many more things that can be done. People closer to Club management could most certainly put forward more options with a more detailed knowledge of the Club's capacity..

There is NO desire within the club to do this. Believe it when I say the club sees last year as a " reasonable" result. They see this year as good... and NO further thought is being given about coaching whatsoever. The club is definitely in a wait and see approach. If Mary has 8 wins and 6 losses in the first 14 games he will get a 3 year extension.

possm

Coach
There is NO desire within the club to do this. Believe it when I say the club sees last year as a " reasonable" result. They see this year as good... and NO further thought is being given about coaching whatsoever. The club is definitely in a wait and see approach. If Mary has 8 wins and 6 losses in the first 14 games he will get a 3 year extension.
You speak in a very confident way so I imagine you are close to decision makers at the Club or you are a member of the management team. Either way my view is that if this is the Boards thinking, they should all be stood down and more professional people be hired.

What a joke, the past poor years of this coach is not taken into consideration. Nor is the poor selection decisions or the apparent favouritism of some players. The win loss data of the last 3 years is more than enough reason to not extend. The fact he was caught DUI also is enough to not consider his retention.

Mary's job has been re-designed to cater for his limitations in management of some key elements of the job of Head Coach mainly because he handled these elements poorly and thus taken from him. I'd say if it wasn't for Mary, we still would have Morris, Merrin and Bird still at the Club. We might even have Josh Morris at centre as well.

Tell me, when we got rid of Morris and Merrin, who did we buy with the money saved? A second rate winger and Benji. What a great deal that was! I am growing very tired of these idiots dragging our great club down.

We very urgently need a change in direction. A deal with WIN TV would be the best way to achieve this. This deal act as the catalyst for change in direction providing the Club with people who understand accountability, good management and wise decisions.

loveoursaints

Juniors
You speak in a very confident way so I imagine you are close to decision makers at the Club or you are a member of the management team. Either way my view is that if this is the Boards thinking, they should all be stood down and more professional people be hired.

What a joke, the past poor years of this coach is not taken into consideration. Nor is the poor selection decisions or the apparent favouritism of some players. The win loss data of the last 3 years is more than enough reason to not extend. The fact he was caught DUI also is enough to not consider his retention.

Mary's job has been re-designed to cater for his limitations in management of some key elements of the job of Head Coach mainly because he handled these elements poorly and thus taken from him. I'd say if it wasn't for Mary, we still would have Morris, Merrin and Bird still at the Club. We might even have Josh Morris at centre as well.

Tell me, when we got rid of Morris and Merrin, who did we buy with the money saved? A second rate winger and Benji. What a great deal that was! I am growing very tired of these idiots dragging our great club down.

We very urgently need a change in direction. A deal with WIN TV would be the best way to achieve this. This deal act as the catalyst for change in direction providing the Club with people who understand accountability, good management and wise decisions.
I absolutely agree with everything you say. The issue is at board level. Until that faction is outed, I am afraid we will be very average. The teams results are not considered important against the board members salaries, perks and positions of power. If our beloved team is in the top 10...... that is considered adequate. Shameful.

Dragon for life

Juniors
Of course Hunt would like a power game plan. The load transfers to the forwards and the fun stuff is executed by the backs. My main concern is for the ability of the forwards to continue in power mode. If they fall away from power mode for any reason, the Dragons are in for hard times.
Yeah agree. Will be interesting to see what the back up plan is when we are matched in the forward battle. I'm positive Mary doesn't have a plan B

getsmarty

Immortal

I Actually believe this...and there in lies the problem with our club. No other club is after Mary...Wait til the end of the season. The club still hasn't learn' t from its past mistakes...eg the premature resigning of Price and Mary.
3 Years is far too long...If by some stretch of the imagination we make the 8, offer him 2 years with 1 year in the clubs favor.
Personally I would still be looking for a coach with more experience outside the club but with the structures the club has in place, most experienced coaches would want to bring in their own people and our "Boys" club will not allow that to happen as too many old boys will lose their jobs.

possm

Coach
The fact is that we do not take into consideration the backroom chatter between those who would lose or gain the most at management level.

Millward -
If we hire another coach I will be out of a job. I want Mary to stay and I'll look after recruitment / retention.
Doust -
If I support your request to retain Mary, you need to commit to support my retention as CEO when my contract is up.
Mary -
I can coach well but find it difficult with the other stuff. I will support Millward's new role, go along with Doust's proposals and praise Dean Young's efforts in getting our forwards going so well.
Craig Yong -
As long has you all support me and Dean, I'll go along with everything and won't ask for a promotion.

mickeylane

Bench

MARY will get a 2 year extension which I believe will coinindentally coincide w Bellamys contract expiring at MELBOURNE - I really don't think the Dragons management ever over got not securing Bellamys signature - it was that close! He's still the chosen one IMO!

mickeylane

Bench
Yeah agree. Will be interesting to see what the back up plan is when we are matched in the forward battle. I'm positive Mary doesn't have a plan B
We haven't got the backs or dominating no 7 for a plan B so it's going to be Plan A or bust till Hunt gets here

possm

Coach
I really want the Dragons to keep winning and for us to be top of the ladder after smashing Melbourne.

But realistically, it won't happen. In the same way I believe it very unlikely our forwards can keep up their 'power game' plan. In round 6, 7 or 8 we will begin the run of losses similar to that experienced in 2015.

Loss after loss after loss and Mary is gone.

Old Timer

Coach
We haven't got the backs or dominating no 7 for a plan B so it's going to be Plan A or bust till Hunt gets here
People keep saying we don't have IMO we don't select which is a different proposition all together.
We don't select anybody to find out what we really have in the stable.
No doubt the inclusion of Mann and Milne would make our backs a hell of a lot more attacking and provide another option to plan A.

BennyV

Referee
There's a difference between strike centres and having a Plan B. Our backs are quite capable, we just aren't using them, or their particular skillsets, at all (let alone 'well')

mickeylane

Bench
There's a difference between strike centres and having a Plan B. Our backs are quite capable, we just aren't using them, or their particular skillsets, at all (let alone 'well')
Your were right we used our backs today and Mcgregor has to be congratulated for the action all being directed out wide. Was very impressed w everyone from 1-7