What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tedesco rumour

BringTheNoise

Juniors
I have read quite a few of your replies to comments people make and you keep asking for proof
I know there are a lot of things said that we all may not agree with or whatever but if you want comment do so in a nicer way as you come across as a miserable prick,just let people have a say as they are entitled to without being made to feel as though they should never comment

There is a distinct difference between "having a say" and citing speculation as fact.

I make no apologies for having zero tolerance for people on here who persistently make baseless claims and try to pass it of as fact.

If wanting to have a discussion based on actual facts makes me a "miserable prick" then yes, I am a miserable prick.

monsterkev

Juniors
There is a distinct difference between "having a say" and citing speculation as fact.

I make no apologies for having zero tolerance for people on here who persistently make baseless claims and try to pass it of as fact.

If wanting to have a discussion based on actual facts makes me a "miserable prick" then yes, I am a miserable prick.
I'm hearing you
Sometimes just don't reply even if you think the post is stupid
I used to do the same but now I think why bother
no good for the blood pressure
sometimes you would love to know where these people live so you can pay them a friendly visit

possm

Coach
The first thing Cleary will do is lock up Tedesco on a long contract.
Yes I agree, But if Tedesco does not want to waste his next couple of years at a basket case of a Club while they re-build,

We should be in there with an offer on the table just in case Tedesco wants to move to a beach side Club that last week showed him they have the team to compete.

Last edited:

possm

Coach
So far we have one marquee player signed for 2018 and yet other clubs who have more than one marquee players are chasing the likes of Moses, Woods, Tedesco and Cronk without any problems. Even Newcastle have the resources to offer Bird 1m with funds left over to mop up the fallout of the current circumstances.

The Raiders - with Peter Mullholland in charge of recruitment seem to have their squad all sorted and not in danger of being targeted. I'd like to see our fullback and five-eighth positions sorted as a matter of urgency and at least one more marquee player signed for 2018.

Reactions: jak

Dragonslayer

First Grade
So far we have one marquee player signed for 2018 and yet other clubs who have more than one marquee players are chasing the likes of Moses, Woods, Tedesco and Cronk without any problems. Even Newcastle have the resources to offer Bird 1m with funds left over to mop up the fallout of the current circumstances.

The Raiders - with Peter Mullholland in charge of recruitment seem to have their squad all sorted and not in danger of being targeted. I'd like to see our fullback and five-eighth positions sorted as a matter of urgency and at least one more marquee player signed for 2018.

Clubs are waiting for the final decision on the new salary cap, and I suspect a few players are doing so as well.

The NRL put up $8.2m as the new cap and I think many clubs had budgeted for much higher ($9.5 - $10m) and was promptly rejected. It is now in re-negotiation phase. I suspect the new cap will fall somewhere in the 8.75 - 9 range.
So, in some ways Millward has been smart, no point jumping in to signing up "marquee" players without knowing the back end #. It's also why players like Tedesco and Bird haven't secured deals as yet or signed.
Once the new cap has been ratified, and I hope it's sooner rather than later, you will find the player market in chaos IMO, with clubs over-budgeting trying to off-load players left right and centre (pardon the pun). Every team has to have a minimum of 30 contracted players from next year, so there isn't much left once you subtract the high end $$$ players.
The waiting game is a good ploy by the Dragons and hence so is the re-signing of current players is taking some time.

possm

Coach
Clubs are waiting for the final decision on the new salary cap, and I suspect a few players are doing so as well.

The NRL put up $8.2m as the new cap and I think many clubs had budgeted for much higher ($9.5 - $10m) and was promptly rejected. It is now in re-negotiation phase. I suspect the new cap will fall somewhere in the 8.75 - 9 range.
So, in some ways Millward has been smart, no point jumping in to signing up "marquee" players without knowing the back end #. It's also why players like Tedesco and Bird haven't secured deals as yet or signed.
Once the new cap has been ratified, and I hope it's sooner rather than later, you will find the player market in chaos IMO, with clubs over-budgeting trying to off-load players left right and centre (pardon the pun). Every team has to have a minimum of 30 contracted players from next year, so there isn't much left once you subtract the high end $$$ players.
The waiting game is a good ploy by the Dragons and hence so is the re-signing of current players is taking some time.
To be fair, the Dragons are not in such a position. We have only signed one marquee player for 2018 and have two high priced players in Dugan and Widdop, a few mid priced players in Lafai, Mann, Milne and some deadwood players still in-signed.

To me there is enough scope there to make a couple of conservative decisions - fullback, five-eighth and then other decisions on centres once the cap is announced. The main recruitment activity is in the halves. So sign Tedesco at least and then wait for the cap to be announced before making decisions on the halves and centre positions.

Bench
get the fact right U are wrong.
I wasn't making any comment. I did not make any statement of facts. I only posted a copy of what was being presented at another forum.
Is it wrong to post something being said that affects our team.
How can you say I am wrong when I didn't say anything one way or the othet

Gareth67

First Grade
Possum , Teddy didn't even mention the Dragons as one of the teams that were chasing him .
If indeed we are , do you truly believe that the Joint Venture could offer more financially than either the Rorters or Bullgrubs ?

Should our own financial wizards manage to do a ' number ' on both of those clubs (whose bank accounts and TPA's are in a hell of a lot better shape then our own ) well , then we will possess the best board in the NRL today . Can you imagine that .

Mate , I am not attempting to be rude , but more so trying to point out the one insurmountable obstacle that is in the Dragons way at this point in time - money .
More so after signing Ben Hunt , we simply will not be able to afford him , not at the expense of allowing either Dugan or Widdop , or both to leave .

Last edited:

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Just out of curiosity, if the club wants to move Dugan to the centres, did they have a plan for a fullback to replace him?
Because in my opinion, that mentality only works if they replace him with someone world class like Tedesco and right now, it looks like they haven't even approached him.

TruSaint

Referee
Possum , Teddy didn't even mention the Dragons as one of the teams that were chasing him .
If indeed we are , do you truly believe that the Joint Venture could offer more financially than either the Rorters or Bullgrubs ?

Should our own financial wizards manage to do a ' number ' on both of those clubs (whose bank accounts and TPA's are in a hell of a lot better shape then our own ) well , then we will possess the best board in the NRL today . Can you imagine that .

Mate , I am not attempting to be rude , but more so trying to point out the one insurmountable obstacle that is in the Dragons way at this point in time - money .
More so after signing Ben Hunt , we simply will not be able to afford him , not at the expense of allowing either Dugan or Widdop , or both to leave .

Great post... 100% agree.

possm

Coach

Gareth66,
I always like reading your posts and when we don't agree, at least you provide good reasons for you view. I understand we have been behind the top teams when it comes to TPA's but I have a feeling that this is about to change. With Johnston now the Chair of both the Leagues Club Board and the Football Club Board, I think things will become more business like in the future. I am fairly sure the Hunt deal included a TPA and that WIN TV have a lot of advertising customers who might be interested in a TPA for marquee players.

Anyway, let's see how things turn out. I hate seeing clubs like the Roosters, Dogs and Broncos signing the best players.

Gareth67

First Grade
Gareth66,
I always like reading your posts and when we don't agree, at least you provide good reasons for you view. I understand we have been behind the top teams when it comes to TPA's but I have a feeling that this is about to change. With Johnston now the Chair of both the Leagues Club Board and the Football Club Board, I think things will become more business like in the future. I am fairly sure the Hunt deal included a TPA and that WIN TV have a lot of advertising customers who might be interested in a TPA for marquee players.

Anyway, let's see how things turn out. I hate seeing clubs like the Roosters, Dogs and Broncos signing the best players.

Possum , you could very well be right about that , with Johnston presenting more TPA's opportunities than what we have had in the past . As it will certainly bring a huge bearing on the clubs chances of being able to compete with the ' money ' clubs .

And as you say , with our association with WIN things may very well prove to be on the up . Back to Tedesco , I would like him at the Dragons also , however our chances seem to be somewhat remote , but that is not to say that the Dragons ' don't have other pies in the oven ' at present .
I am glad that you took my previous post in the right spirit mate .

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
One wonders that considering the salary cap for next year (and beyond) will be far less than what NRL clubs anticipated; whether the decision to sign Hunt for significant 'overs' will have a negative impact.

I'd say the Dragons' chances of enticing another 'marquee' player are negligible, and as such, the retention of both Dugan and Widdop should now be a high priority.

possm

Coach
My thoughts are that Hunt was signed using a TPA so the cap space used would be far less than the 1m p/a. It's hard to believe that the Dragons would pay 1m of cap space for Hunt.